VI Corps Engineers 1941 Carolina Maneuvars

Marion,

That would be grand! I think you are right - we are kindred spirits.

If we got together, we'd likely talk ourselves into a stupor. Ha!

We'd enjoy THAT immensely!

I've come to realize that there are folks in the world that are, what I call

"present" and those who are "NOT present". We are definately in the first

category. People ask me all the time: "Mah, how do you know so much stuff"

and I tell them "I'm a fount of vast amounts of useless information".

"Useless" only to the general populace, not to me. We acquire information because it genuinely interests us, not because it leads to specific ends or attainments.

It also has mostly to do with love, don't you think so MarionIf you love someone or something, you want to "know" and you can't really "know/understand" truly

unless you love.

It may sound crazy, but after I did the research on my Dad's army years - I had

this overwhelming feeling of his love for me. I don't think it's that he loves me more,

but rather that something has changed in ME, enabling me to receive it/feel it better.

I think that love & understand & appreciating, condition you somehow to give & receive

more of same. That's what this journey is all about after all. Just like boot camp, except

the conditioning is on the inside.

I'll bet that when you began all this, you never imagined all the wonderful roads you'd

travel and people you'd meet. C.S. Lewis once said that good books are like maps - you never

know where they'll take you. YOU did that, Marion! We're all out hunting for our people

with only bits & pieces of maps & here you've created a highway for us. What a great thing!

How very proud your dad must be of you!

I also think that there is no time with God, so whenever I look at that photo of the baby

who was me, I think that no matter how old I get or how much earthly time passes,

my Dad still has his arm protectively around me. I do wholeheartedly believe that - and

for you & your Dad too. Besides, I call him my "patron saint of household & car repair".

Ha! There's very little that my father (as with most WWII vets) couldn't repair or alter

(whether you wanted them to or not). My mother used to call this capacity "Tinkering" as

in "Your father's on the roof tinkering with the antennae". I've asked him for help in big

things & small & he always comes through. There was the time when I had to shut off

the electricity to the attic and I said: "Now listen Daddy, I'm down here in the cellar in front of the electrical box and Ma is recovering from surgery, so I don't have to time to spend

all day turning switches on & off trying to find the right one. Which one is it? OK I'm goin'

with #12". Of course, that was the right one & I thanked him.

mary ann

Messages In This Thread
VI Corps Engineers 1941 Carolina Maneuvars - by 206thmpco - 08-06-2007, 04:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XIX Corps Engineers Walt's Daughter 2 3,601 04-25-2018, 11:24 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Happy 240th Birthday US Army Corps of Engineers!! Walt's Daughter 2 3,942 06-17-2015, 04:37 AM
Last Post: colinhotham
  Interview Questions for VI Corps Engineers Walt's Daughter 1 6,293 02-05-2014, 02:19 PM
Last Post: mikel
  280th Engineer Combat Bn, 16th Corps, 3rd Army militaria7 1 3,685 09-04-2013, 09:38 AM
  special service engineers & rail engineers Ron Nash 17 587,307 11-15-2012, 10:43 AM
  Civilian Employees Corps of Engineers WWII? Walt's Daughter 2 4,335 06-19-2007, 09:27 AM
  Russ enjoys VI Corps slide show Walt's Daughter 0 2,294 07-14-2006, 05:41 PM
  Army Corps Engineers Veteran's Patch Walt's Daughter 7 445,944 04-24-2005, 01:06 AM