Fuehrer-Begleit-Brigade 16-Dec-44 to Jan-45 by General Remer

Sorry for the confusion. This manuscript and others were collected by the US Army Europe for their historical and potential operational "lessons learned" value.

They were written by scores of German Officers still in US custody from 1946 to the early 1950's on a wide variety of subjects. Among the German Generals that contributed historical manuscripts were Field Marshal Kesselring and General-Colonel(General-oberst) Blaskowitz. The downside of the manuscripts is they were written from memory as the Germans had no access to documentary material. The translators were anti-Nazi or refugee Germans working for the U.S. Army and not professional translators familiar with American or German military terminology.

Some of the errors are due to my poor typing abilities and scanning a Xerox copy to word. I tried to correct these errors where I found them.

I presented this document as material for veterans and families of vets of the "battle of the Bulge." It was my hope that some insight as to what went on "on the other side of the hill" might be useful. The originals are on microfiche at the National Archives II at College park, Md. I live near the facility and I am a researcher. I am aware many are not as "fortunate" as I am to have such easy access to the archives due to distance. Therefore when I have something from there that might be of interest to all I post it on relevant web sites.

The material about Remer posted by others here is correct. Remer was privately and to his detriment publicly unrepentant about his loyalty to Hitler. He was expelled from the German Army “Grossdeutschland†veterans association.

I met Remer in 1990 while I was in the US Army in Germany. He was a tall man (I am 6’4†and he was as tall as me), very correct and spoke excellent English. I interviewed him about his war experiences. He knew I was an American serviceman but treated men with respect and responded truthfully I believe to my questions.

We did not discuss politics past or present as it did not interest me.

I am as mentioned above a US Army veteran and World War 2 history enthusiast. I can scan my DD-214 but forgive me if I blackout my social security number.

I am writing my own history of the 4th infantry regiment, 3rd division from 1917 to 1918.

I enjoy these veterans’ boards as they are a great source of information.

In any case I regret if I have disturbed the tranquility of this board. It was certainly NOT my intention. Phil

phil; Your explanation is OK with me. I get the picture. Just keep doing what you do in writing about WW 11. Look at PBS next Sept. 23. They are going to show an either a 12 or 18 hour movie in parts. I fought in No. Africa and Italy. Roque Riojas, (latino), 34th "RED BULL")divn.

Messages In This Thread
Fuehrer-Begleit-Brigade 16-Dec-44 to Jan-45 by General Remer - by roque_riojas - 07-13-2007, 12:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transport ship General W P Richardson - June 7, 1945 Walt's Daughter 0 2,477 01-14-2014, 03:26 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  The Jewish Brigade afc7883 3 3,926 04-18-2007, 08:18 PM
Last Post: Dogdaddy
  General Patton Cadetat6 1 46,970 06-30-2005, 05:01 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter