Research Restrictions

:banghead::banghead:

Walt's Daughter:-

Just so you don't think I am a Section 8 candidate here is the reconstructed data that I got yesterday from one Harry Yeide a WW II Author that he had posted on another forum. If I read it correctly he is talking about the exclusion of AMERICANS by the imposition of the reduced research hours. Please correct me if I have read this wrong! I would hope that I never give out bad information!!

Quote "For anybody who cares about the public's ability to get to the military records that tell us what happened during WW II, Allen Weinstein, the archivist, has just about made it unworkable for anybody who holds a job. Go here: Allen Weinstein Excludes Americans from National Archives. Thanks.

Allen Weinstein Excludes Americans from the National Archives

Few men have the opportunity to deny their fellows the fruits of history. Whoever set the library of Alexandria alight was one such. Allen Weinstein, Archivist of the United States, is another.

Weinstein has eliminated, effective 2 October 2006, over three-quarters of the research hours at the U.S. National Archives that were available to Americans who work 9-to-5 jobs. Even for the privileged researchers who will be able to access records during Mr. Weinstein’s working hours, he has cut the amount of information made available by a third by slashing the number of “pulls†each business day. His decisions will drive many researchers and historians of our great country’s history out of business. This, in turn, will have ripple effects, as books and other publications that help spread knowledge of our history to the broader public will become less plentiful.

It is a shame that a petty bureaucrat whose name will justifiably be forgotten a century from now can do so much damage to American citizens seeking to preserve the memory of great Americans whose names should never be forgotten. Congress or the President should stop this travesty.

I urge visitors to this site to do three things:

Send Weinstein an e-mail and tell him what you think (allen.weinstein@nara.gov).

If you are an author, relate Weinstein’s attack on historians and the broader public in the foreword of your next book, as I shall. We can hope that when readers in the future pull our books from library shelves, they will spare an unkind thought for the man who did this.

3. Contact your representative and senators and tell them to fix this." End Quote

I read your posting and now I am at a loss when I reread the two postings.

Sgtleo

Messages In This Thread
Research Restrictions - by Sgtleo - 10-01-2006, 03:36 PM
Research Restrictions - by alkincer - 10-01-2006, 09:16 PM
Research Restrictions - by Sgtleo - 10-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Research Restrictions - by Walt's Daughter - 10-02-2006, 12:59 AM
Research Restrictions - by Sgtleo - 10-02-2006, 02:15 PM
Research Restrictions - by Walt's Daughter - 10-02-2006, 02:51 PM
Research Restrictions - by Walt's Daughter - 10-02-2006, 02:53 PM
Research Restrictions - by Sgtleo - 10-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Research Restrictions - by Sgtleo - 10-02-2006, 04:57 PM
Research Restrictions - by Walt's Daughter - 10-02-2006, 07:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RESEARCH ASSISTANCE - PLEASE READ FIRST!!!! Walt's Daughter 9 3,009,176 09-18-2018, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Available to Research the WWII Military Service of Individual Veterans Van 2 5,545 03-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Last Post: ggent001
  ARC - Archival Research Catalog - NARA Walt's Daughter 0 3,292 02-09-2011, 08:49 PM
  Research Mari Ippolito 3 6,920 01-03-2007, 06:32 PM