Famous Americans and the GI Bill

Yes Marion: The G.I. Bill. This G.I. Bill was not promised or even thought about when

we enlisted or were drafted. It came out in I believe 1945 and was a Godsend to many of us. I used only 9 monhs of it to go a trade school although I had much more education time available. (for some uknown reason I chose refrigeration and air conditioning trade school) . I was lucky and had no problem getting a job that made me a nice comfortable living and a good retirement . Our tuition and books were supplied plus a substistance of $ 65.00 a month while in school.. On enistment I was promised only $ 52.00 per month and would be in until wars end plus probably 6 months more.

Instead, we were given education chances, subsistance, and a $ 300.00 "mustering out pay" from a gratefull country. Oh yes, we even paid for our life insurance (6.40 per mounth for $ 10,000 life insurance in the Army. Again, lucily I kept mine even as of now and with the accumulated dividends gives me a very nice insurance, many more times the original $ 10,000 in paid up life insurance. No complaints from me on the old G.I. Bill either. I kinda wonder just how many would today enlist with these type of promises on enlisting that we had.

Messages In This Thread
Famous Americans and the GI Bill - by Parnell-H - 07-28-2006, 01:36 PM
Famous Americans and the GI Bill - by j3rdinf - 10-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Famous Americans and the GI Bill - by j3rdinf - 10-17-2006, 07:54 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Obama plans to make vets bill their OWN insurance arve 7 9,243 03-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  New Bill Signed Walt's Daughter 0 2,757 12-27-2006, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter