Hampton Roads Point of Embarkation

I have been meaning to mention these books for some time but it has always slipped my mind. Last Winter I found a two-volume hardback set of books that was published in 1946, entiitled "The Road To Victory", edited by Maj. W. R. Wheeler. These books (still like new) chronicle the tremendous task of shipping out hundreds of thousands of US troops and millions of tons of equipment through the Hampton Roads Port during WWII. There are over 400 photos, plus maps and illustrations. Since then I have been wondering how many of you wonderful Vets here caught your last glimpse of the good ol' USA from this place, and also (perhaps) were greeted here when your ship arrived home?

The pictures are truly wonderful and candid shots which I know would bring back memories to many of you..and I will try to publish one here every now and then. These are scenes of everything from being assigned to your overcrowded sleeping quarters, to famous folks like General Patton on his way to Italy. One that sticks out in my memory is a photo of a pocket bible with a bullet hole about halfway through it...a life saving souvenier of Anzio for one GI.

I would love to hear your stories of Hampton Roads. ;)

:drinkin:

:woof:

post-5-1151859976_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG.jpg (Size: 604.94 KB / Downloads: 0)

Messages In This Thread
Hampton Roads Point of Embarkation - by Dogdaddy - 07-02-2006, 02:06 PM
Hampton Roads Point of Embarkation - by Custermen - 07-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Hampton Roads Point of Embarkation - by Dogdaddy - 08-14-2006, 06:20 PM
Hampton Roads Point of Embarkation - by Custermen - 08-15-2006, 11:12 AM
Hampton Roads Point of Embarkation - by Dogdaddy - 08-15-2006, 03:14 PM
Hampton Roads Point of Embarkation - by colinhotham - 08-16-2006, 07:00 AM
Hampton Roads Point of Embarkation - by Dogdaddy - 08-16-2006, 12:27 PM