Update Italy Commeration WWII 2005

Received this today from Ken. There is also an attachment that shows the planned itinerary for the commeration as stands today.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy New Year to all.

Over the holiday period our committee has worked hard on advancing our plans and getting the word out.

We have a conference call for our committee to go over next steps on Wednesday evening at 6PM EST. Call into 914-381-5353 x267. If you would like to participate in the call please respond back by email or phone. We can certainly use more volunteers if any one has time to help out. Attached is our latest updated plan document.

Over the past month we have been communicating with county, state, and national levels of the American Legion. We have also identified over 150 veteran’s groups around the country to invite to participate. We have found contact information for many associations representing Army divisions and regiments, Navy ships, and Air Force bomber and fighter wings which served in Italy during WWII. Several have conducted similar trips to Europe to visit sites they passed through in WWII and to visit the cemeteries where their comrades are at rest. For example, outstanding work has been done by the Battle of the Bulge Veterans Association and the Anzio Beachhead Association.

I am also very pleased to mention that a very fine community choral group from Pelham, the Pelham Larks, has expressed interest in making the trip to Italy and providing patriotic music for the ceremonies.

We have also been looking very closely at finding ways to lower travel cost for those who are interested in joining us. I appreciate the efforts of Post 50 member Frank Barbieri and Harriet Balter of Rich World Wide Travel.

It has been great to hear from veterans like Ben Palmer from the 36th Division who expressed appreciation for what we are trying to do. Ben has a great book on his experiences going first into Italy then into southern France. I visited Sunday with 10th Mt. Division member Frank Carafa who is building strength and feeling better day by day after a hospital stay in the fall.

With less than 120 days left to departing for Italy, we are looking forward to going over our plans this month with the WWII 60th Commemorative Committee in Washington and representatives of the American Battle Monuments Commission both in DC and at the embassy in Rome. We see the ceremonies at Nettuno and Florence being very similar to American Legion Memorial Day ceremonies held in thousands of villages and cities across the country. We really appreciate the support provided to us by the hard working staffs of the WWII 60th CC, the ABMC, and the embassy staff in Rome. They do a great job every day looking after the needs of military members and veterans.

I received a nice response last week from Col. David Hackworth who many of you I am sure have heard on Imus and many other news outlets always in support of the average soldier or military member. The Col. mentioned he is has a health challenge which precludes traveling with us to Italy in May and I want to extend our best wishes for a complete recovery. His website information is found below but I want to highlight the memorable quote he passed along:

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly Proportional to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their Nation".

George Washington

Thank you Col. Hackworth and to all on this distribution for your support of our project.

Ken

Kenneth G. Kraetzer

Sons of American legion

American Legion Post 50

Pelham NY

Vice President

CBSI

550 Mamaroneck Avenue, Harrison, New York 10528 USA

914-381-5353

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Messages In This Thread
Update Italy Commeration WWII 2005 - by Walt's Daughter - 01-04-2005, 04:31 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Museum in Italy - Gothic Line and Mt. Altuzzo battle angatti 14 16,232 12-19-2017, 07:31 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  WWII C-Ration Dinner in Italy sixgun 1 2,845 03-08-2012, 07:45 PM
Last Post: verow
  Rocky's Italy Trip 2011 Walt's Daughter 56 42,741 05-22-2011, 06:47 PM
  Photos italy 43-45 sixgun 0 2,499 11-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Last Post: sixgun
  Anzio? Italy? Photo of Dad & Motorcycle arve 15 14,638 01-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  Ike said it: GI's report that Italy was the Worst afc7883 0 1,713 07-31-2006, 10:40 PM
Last Post: afc7883
  George K at Margraten in May 2005 Walt's Daughter 0 74,075 06-02-2005, 10:35 PM
  Bloody Forgotten War in Italy Walt's Daughter 2 57,002 03-25-2005, 11:56 AM