"Doings of Battery B"

About 6 or 7 years ago, I started uploading photos and info on my Father's unit that he served in during WW2: the 328th Field Artillery Battalion. And he was in Battery B of the 328FA. Over the years, I've made contacts via my website and have added more info and photos. I believe I have the most detailed website of an Artillery Battalion that you will find anywhere on the web.

What a surprise it was to find this book!! I wasn't sure if I should get it as it is about World War I --- not 2. But it was written about the very same Battery as my Father's. Crazy---as my daughter says.

“Doings of Battery B: 328th F.A., A.E.F.â€

“Humorous Happenings and Striking Situations in the Experiences of its Membersâ€

cover16.jpg

By Edward W. Barry

Published Dean-Hicks Co. Grand Rapids, MI, 1920

Format: 11 X 8-1/2 inches. Glossy paper, 175 pages.

Illustrations, photos. 1 Map.

No Table of Content nor Index.

While awaiting combat in France during WW1, two soldiers decided to record and publish the story of the men in their unit and their experiences. They would leave out all the technical details of how an artillery battery functioned. They returned back to the States and began work on the book about Battery B, 328th Field Artillery Battalion.

The book contains a brief intro history and a timeline of important events, including the transfer of troops into or out of the unit. Most of the book is organized into short biographies and stories listed under names of each of the soldiers in their unit.

There are many photos included as snapshots of their training at Camp Custer, MI and groups of officers and NCOs. There are large group photos of the men with each man in the unit identified.

To round out the humorous stories, there are cartoon drawings of various activities. Some pages have groups of panels, similar to the Sunday comics. Then there are some nice landscape drawings in fine detail.

This is a portion of one group photo, that lets you meet these Doughboys up close.

Some look scared, some serious, some have a broad grin.

PhotoGroupPg127.JPG

Some of the smaller cartoons sketches. Note the details, such as the "CD" shoulder

patch for the 85th Infantry Division(their parent unit in WW1 & WW2).

Artist included the name of the soldier printed on bottom of boot.

Reveille.jpg

Snooze.jpg ..... OfficersAct.jpg

A.E.F. stands for American Expeditionary Forces.

Crazy, huh!!

Steve

Messages In This Thread
"Doings of Battery B" - by Custermen - 05-27-2006, 07:45 PM
"Doings of Battery B" - by Custermen - 01-26-2008, 01:01 AM
"Doings of Battery B" - by Walt's Daughter - 01-26-2008, 08:57 AM
"Doings of Battery B" - by civilwargal - 01-27-2008, 12:27 AM
"Doings of Battery B" - by Custermen - 01-31-2008, 01:15 AM
"Doings of Battery B" - by CaptO - 01-31-2008, 11:35 AM
"Doings of Battery B" - by Custermen - 02-01-2008, 06:36 PM