Flag Etiquette

Flag Etiquette

SALUTING THE FLAG

Salute the flag...

When it is six paces from the viewer and hold it until the flag has passed six paces beyond. Salute the flag at the first note of the National Anthem and hold the salute until the last note is played. Never use a flag as a decoration – use bunting.

When in civilian attire...

MEN remove hats and hold at left shoulder with hand over heart; without hat, place right hand, palm open, over heart. WOMEN should place right hand, palm open, over heart. When in athletic clothing, face the flag or music, remove hat or cap and stand at attention; a hand salute is not given.

CARRYING THE FLAG

When marching...

Carry the flag on the right in any procession or parade. If there are many other flags, carry the flag in the front center position.

If you are carrying a flag...

Hold the flag at a slight angle from your body. You can also carry it with one hand and rest it on your right shoulder.

DISPLAYING THE FLAG OUTDOORS

On a vehicle...

Attach the flag to the antenna or clamp the flagstaff to the right fender. Do not lay the flag over the vehicle.

On a building...

Hang the flag on a staff or on a rope over the sidewalk with the stars away from the building.

Over the street...

Hang the flag with the stars to the east on a north- south street or north on an east-west street.

Above other flags...

Hang the flag above any other flag on the same pole.

Other flags, separate poles...

Hang all flags on equal poles. Hang the U.S. flag on its own right, hoist it first and lower it last.

In a window...

Hang the flag vertically with the stars to the left of anyone looking at it from the street.

Half-mast...

This is a sign of mourning. Raise the flag to the top of the pole then lower it to the half way point. Before lowering the flag, raise it to the top again at the end of the day.

Upside down...

An upside-down flag is considered a distress signal.

DISPLAYING THE FLAG INDOORS

Multiple staffs...

If you display the flag on a staff with other flags around it, place the flag at the center and highest point. Crossed staffs - Keep the flagstaff higher and on its own right.

Behind a speaker...

Hang the flag flat on the wall. Do not decorate the podium or table with the flag. Use bunting for decoration.

Next to a speaker...

Place the flag in a stand on the speaker’s right. Use the same placement for a religious service.

In a hall or lobby...

Hang the flag vertically across from the main entrance with the stars to the left of anyone coming through the door.

On a casket...

Drape the flag with its canton at the head and over the left shoulder of the body. Do not lower the flag into the grave.

This information was obtained from: Our Flag, U.S. Congress

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

More people need to heed these simple rules.

Thanks Mare; That says it All. There was a day when WE ALL knew what to do

Another definition of Trinity; GOD, COUNTRY; FLAG

chucktoo

:banghead::banghead:

Walt's Daughter:-

Please don't get angry with this commentary!!

Floating around the site as I sit hear with nothing else to do I noticed that you had posted under the heading Flag Etiquette that the flag should be lowered to HALF MAST under certain conditions.

Regretfully, this is one of my pet peeves and is often used by the news media. I contacted a radio station once and the man giving out the data told me "I'm just reading what they have written down here for me to say and I never knew that!!"

The correct term is HALF STAFF because as I was taught - a MAST is on a ship for it's purpose and it is a STAFF that is used to display the flag.

Sgtleo(taking cover ASAP) :pdt34::pdt34:

Thanks Sarge:

Okay, you can yell at the writer. I take no credit for his mistakes. :lol::lol: Sure glad I didn't compose the ditty. Ya, you are absolutely right about half-staff. Good observation. :pdt34:

Marion J Chard

:direct::direct:

Here's another one to remember - when folding the flag at Retreat;-

After it was folded they'd say this;-

I see Blue good for you!

I see Red you'll wish you were dead!

OOPS I forgot to add this so you'd know why the two lines above!!

Flag Folding from The Sons of the American Revolution

A properly proportioned flag will fold 13 times on the triangles, representing the 13 Original Colonies. When finally complete the triangular folded flag is emblematical of the tri-corner hat worn by the Patriots of the American Revolution.

When folded no red or white stripe is to be evident leaving only the honor field of blue and stars.

Sgtleo :pdt::pdt:

Here's a downloadable PDF file for all.

American_Flag_Etiquette.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   American_Flag_Etiquette.pdf (Size: 96.64 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

GOOD READING REGARDING THE FLAG BY, MARION AND SGTLEO, JUST REAFIRMS WHAT I THINK AND TELL PEOPLE ABOUT THE FLAG. --- GOTTA QUESTION--- I WONDER HOW MANY WHEN THEY ARE OUT DRIVING NOTICE THE FLAGS?? I DO AND I HAVE STOPPED AT A BANK AND A POST OFFICE AND TOLD THEM THAT THE FLAG WAS EITHER TATTERED OR FRAYED. AND THEY CHANGED IT FAST. THE POSTMASTER LOOKED AT ME AND BEFORE HE SAID ANYTHING I POINTED TO MY CAP, IT READS,"34th INFANTRY DIVISION-WW II", ALL HE SAID WAS THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE, I WILL REPLACE IT. MADE ME FEEL GOOD. Rocky :armata_PDT_37:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to Fold a Flag Walt's Daughter 0 3,051 11-23-2014, 09:49 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Fly your flag proudly - June 14, 2008 Walt's Daughter 7 9,067 06-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  Federal government bans flag-folding recitations Walt's Daughter 17 17,054 11-05-2007, 05:25 PM
  Veterans Saluting the Flag Walt's Daughter 0 2,757 08-05-2007, 05:06 PM
  It's Flag Day today Walt's Daughter 2 4,495 06-16-2006, 10:40 PM