Forums

Full Version: Hello Everyone - Info on grandfather
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

My name is Dan Ryan and I live in Connecticut. I am doing research on my Grandfather Francis J Ryan. I was left a box of souvenirs with many photos of his wartime journey but don't really have a great idea of what he spent his time overseas doing. I have both the 370th Engineer BN as well as the 276th Engineer BN listed on the papers I was able to receive. Many of his papers were lost in the records department fire so I am piecing it together from the info I can find. Please help if you can. Attached is a photo of him, I have posted others on the site as well.

Thanks to all,

Dan

post-537-1214750730_thumb.jpg

My name is Dan Ryan and I live in Connecticut. I am doing research on my Grandfather Francis J Ryan. I was left a box of souvenirs with many photos of his wartime journey but don't really have a great idea of what he spent his time overseas doing. I have both the 370th Engineer BN as well as the 276th Engineer BN listed on the papers I was able to receive. Many of his papers were lost in the records department fire so I am piecing it together from the info I can find. Please help if you can. Attached is a photo of him, I have posted others on the site as well.

Thanks to all,

Dan

Hello Dan,

From Dept. of the Army Pamphlet 672-1 "Unit Citation and Campaign Participation Credit Register" the following info on your Grand father's units:

276th Engineer Combat Battalion was awarded Campaign Participation Credit for the Central Europe and Rhieland Campaigns, a Distiguished Unit citation and Gemany Occupation credit, 5/20/45 to 10/31/45.

370th Engineer Combat Battalion was awarded the same Campaign Credit and Germany Occupation Credit, 5/2/45 to 9/29/45.

Both these units likely came to the Continent via England. I can give you sources other the Nat. Personnel Records Center at St. Louis if you are interested.

Good searching.

Jim Davis, Member and Historian

1204th Engineer Fire Fighting Platoon

North Africa, Italy, Frasnce, Germany

World War II

Both these units likely came to the Continent via England. I can give you sources other the Nat. Personnel Records Center at St. Louis if you are interested.

Good searching.

Jim Davis, Member and Historian

1204th Engineer Fire Fighting Platoon

North Africa, Italy, Frasnce, Germany

World War II

I am very interested, thank you for answering my plea...every little piece on info I get helps me fill in the gaps I am missing.

Thanks Jim.

I am very interested, thank you for answering my plea...every little piece on info I get helps me fill in the gaps I am missing.

Thanks Jim.

Dan,

Please contact me at r11@maui.net. Will be glad to help where I can

Aloha,

Jim