• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 Custermen

Custermen

Major

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 02:31 PM

I thought I would a thread just on uniforms that are your favorite. Or maybe you have a photo of a terrific specimen from a musuem---maybe Patton's own outfit. If you are an expert on combat uniforms and gear, please post a photo with details of each item.

Steve

Tunic-- 15th Air Force NCO - Gunner

After talking to a Veteran who flew 50 missions as a tail gunner, I bought this 4-button tunic
just "as-is"but missing the wings. I added the Gunner wings and a patch for the 15AF(which flew out of Italy).
Details: 4-botton enlistedman's tunic with Army Air Corps collar insignia.
Gunner Wings - depicts a bullet on it. A bomb signified a Bombadier.
Ribbons include the Air Medal with oak leaves, and campaign ribbons. Right pocket is the Distinguished Unit Citation ribbon.
RH Sleeve has 6 bullion overseas stripes and one re-enlistment stripe.

[In the background is a shirt with the TRUST Forces patch]
Enginears...Engeneres....Engineres----- I are one and I can't spell it.
Reference Table of US Infantry Divisions

#2 j3rdinf

j3rdinf

Major

• Members
  • 414 posts
  • Interests:Well retired so can spend time shooting and reloading, also deer<br />studying. Old ww2 3rd Inf Div dogface ETO so I like ww2 forums.<br />

Posted 12 May 2006 - 03:07 PM

Hey Steve: Here is a all original A-2 leather flight jacket, also from the 15th A.F. in Italy. It belonged to my lifelong friend Sgt. John J. Cosby, New Monmouth NJ, who was
a B-24 gunner in Italy and given to me prior to his death a few years ago. It was made
during WW 2 by J.A. Burow. Right now it is on E Bay for sale. Jacket is a litttle big for
my daughter.

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture_063.jpg

#3 Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

• Members
  • 1025 posts
  • Interests:My Dog, WWII, Fishing

Posted 12 May 2006 - 04:43 PM

This is the nicest piece I have in my collection, a Tropical Kriegsmarine M1940 Helmet...

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• 501.jpg

Dogdaddy 1

#4 Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

• Members
  • 1025 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 08:37 PM

This WWII uniform I picked up yesterday @ the antique flea market I attended, and it is simply gorgeous. Very high quality tailoring by Brooks Bros., complete set with uniform jacket and matching trousers. All it needs is a good dry-cleaning to be mint condition!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0007.jpg

Dogdaddy 1

#5 Custermen

Custermen

Major

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 03:34 AM

a Tropical Kriegsmarine M1940 Helmet...

That is a keeper.

I have a Police M1940 that my Dad brought home. I don't have a clear photo of it. I will try to get a shot and post it this weekend.
Steve

#6 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11345 posts
  • Interests:Reading, history (especially WWII), research, gardening, cooking, astronomy, decorating, music, web design, genealogy, photography, sci-fi and much, much more. I have a lot of interests and sincerely can't remember the last time I was bored! For me there are never enough hours in the day. :-)

Posted 13 May 2006 - 03:39 AM

You guys rock with your collections! drinking.gif
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon

There's "No Bridge Too Far"
Marion Chard

#7 Custermen

Custermen

Major

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 03:53 AM

This is your plain "Ike" jacket that was very poplar and very comfortable. I bought this example in a shop in Glendale, CA, because it is not your typical example. This guy was trying to make an impression with the Top Brass in HQ.

"Ike Jacket" .................. SHAEF HQ, Signal Corps

This soldier was currently assigned to Supreme HQ Allied Expeditionary Forces (SHAEF) and his previous service was the 15th Army Group HQ. This jacket has 4 brass collar discs: two "US" discs on top and two Signal Corps discs below them. (I'm currently displaying it correctly with only one US on RH and a Signal Corps on LH collar.)
It has 5 overseas stripes of bullion weave and a re-enlistment stripe.
What makes this jacket unique is the detail.

Every patch on the uniform is sewn with a white cross-stitching pattern.
This is a patch of the 15th Army Group which was top command of all troops in Italy.

The ribbons are not the standard cut ribbons mounted on metal. These are
hand-made using colored thread. The red has faded over the years. The
lower RH ribbon is for occupation forces, so this was worn after WW2.
And to keep his uniform neat, he sewed the pocket flap shut.

This example shows how uniforms can vary in condition, detail and quality.
Steve

#8 Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

• Members
  • 1025 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (Custermen @ May 12 2006, 10:34 PM)
a Tropical Kriegsmarine M1940 Helmet...

That is a keeper.

I have a Police M1940 that my Dad brought home. I don't have a clear photo of it. I will try to get a shot and post it this weekend.
Steve

Thanks Steve...I'm trying to cobble together a mannequin display, piece by piece. So far I have the helmet, a set of tropical Y-Rieman, belt,buckle and beltbag. I cannot afford a real tunic and breeches at this time, so I might have to substitute.
BTW...beautiful Ike jacket! That guy was a real Peacock (not Ike). I love those jackets, in particular the chocolate brown colored ones. Your collection must be a realb treat for your students. Nice work! Looking forward to seeing that Police helmet too armata_PDT_34.gif

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• 28427.jpg

Dogdaddy 1

#9 mec1945

mec1945

Sargeant/Tec 4

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:World War II in general. WWII Coast defense of the Northwest.
    WWII reenacting - Army Group 1944 Inc
    www.armygroup1944.com

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:37 AM

Well instead of adding pictures, you cancheck out our online musuem at:
http://thor.prohosting.com/hopp1945

There is some of our uniform pieces there. Still working on the site, so keep checking in!.
Nicholas Hopper
Newman Lake, WA
<i>Helping to keep our Military History Alive!</i>
1945 Willy MB 3/12/1945
WWII Reenacting-Army Group 1944
www.armygroup1944.com

#10 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11345 posts
  • Interests:Reading, history (especially WWII), research, gardening, cooking, astronomy, decorating, music, web design, genealogy, photography, sci-fi and much, much more. I have a lot of interests and sincerely can't remember the last time I was bored! For me there are never enough hours in the day. :-)

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:08 PM

Thanks Mec. Will make sure to place your weblink on the main site later today.

Looked at all the B&W photos. Great! I hope everyone else takes the time to look. Can't wait to see more as the collection grows.
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#11 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11345 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:18 PM

Lee is going to take a photo of me in my Ike jacket. I wore it to our local pub last night and everyone went nuts for it. I always get tons of questions and enjoy telling them the history behind my 48th Combat Engineers jacket. I hope I am making the guy proud when he's lookin' down from heaven. angel.gif

I wore the jacket a few weeks ago and noticed an older gentlemen looking my way. I went up to he and his wife and said, excuse me sir, I noticed you were looking at my jacket, would you happen to be a WWII vet? Oh yes he was. They were great folks and I loved talking to them. The conversation only last about 6 minutes, but I guess I made a real impression because when Lee went back to Hank's about a week later, he would up talking to the same gentlemen. Lee didn't realize who he was at the time. He got into conversation and said, you should talk to my wife, she's writing a book about her dad's unit, etc. The gentleman smiled and asked, "Oh Marion? Yes, we've already had the pleasure of meeting." Lee was tickled to tell me that he not only remembered me, but knew my name. How sweet! armata_PDT_09.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#12 Custermen

Custermen

Major

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 02:03 PM

Yeah. My "teen" daughter said my IKE jacket would look in style with the short jackets they wear today. She said I should wear it and then thought maybe she should.
She will have to get her own.
Steve

#13 Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

• Members
  • 1025 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:17 AM

This is a model 1934 Italian Bustina with an Engineer's badge armata_PDT_34.gif I wanted to get the uniform too, but the sleeves were ripped at the seems from the arms being raised so quickly.. laugh.gif (only joking!)
Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• 3d_1.JPG

Dogdaddy 1

#14 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11345 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:44 AM

That's a very handsome hat. Of course it's even cooler that it has an ENGINEER'S badge. Go to the head of the class! armata_PDT_12.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#15 Custermen

Custermen

Major

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:09 AM

I'll have to display my British visor cap for Royal Engineers(WW2).
Dogdaddy---with those lighting bolts radiating from around the center, that would indicate either Signal Corps or Signals (Radio), according to my book.
Steve

#16 Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

• Members
  • 1025 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:52 AM

Steve-
It's all "Greek" to me! The guy I bought it from refers to it as Engineers cap, but you are probably correct. This guy seems to have robbed Rommel's Quaretermaster, 'cause he sure has some nice Tropical WWII items!
Jim
Dogdaddy 1

#17 Custermen

Custermen

Major

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 11:34 AM

No---it's Italian not Greek. biggrin.gif
The Italians had so much a variety of badges and rank insignia, especially when you consider the Fascists and then the organizations on both sides of the conflict that were formed after Italy surrendered.
Nice hat. The bustina is one hat that I don't have and would certainly like to get. I have the Italian overseas cap that was imported into Spain as part of their support of Civil War. It is difficult to determine if it is Spanish or Italian. This is similiar to the bustina in that it has the flap over the top. This one is khaki green and has red trim and a dangling red tassle.

Steve

#18 Custermen

Custermen

Major

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 03:25 AM

Now, here is an Engineer's hat.

Royal Engineer visor cap of British Army

Badge: Royal Engineers as noted on the bottom banner.
Leather strap & brass RE buttons.
Visor is cloth over a stiff bill.
This is the soft visor cap that was worn while off-duty and when not wearing the steel helmet. These visor caps were worn by officers and NCO's. It was common to see enlisted wear these in WW1 but I'm not sure about WW2. Usually, the enlisted men wore the folding cap they refer to as "side cap".
The only damage to this is that the plastic liner has melted into the fabric of the top, which helps it keep its shape but discolored the top.

I began collecting British regimental cap badges a long time ago. Then I picked up the pace over the last few years. Now my collection of British, Indian, & Canadian cap badges has topped 100 count.

This is a photo of one of 2 cases that I displayed at my city's library.

British Cap Badges & Hats at local library.
Top: Coldstream Guards- Modern(Black/White), Royal Engineers- WW2 (Khaki)
Bottom: Honourable Artillery Company- 1950's(Black/Red) and WW2 Side Cap
Edited: The khaki hat was referred to as "Dress Hat No. 2". Dress Hat No 1 was the colored hat worn for formal dress or parade occasions. The Coldstream Guards hat and the H.A.C. hat are both Dress hat No. 1. Just as each British regiment had its unique regimental cap badge, also each regiment had its unique dress uniform. They varied in style, colors and buttons. One regiment may wear royal blue and yellow and another black and red. That is why collecting British hats is a fun hobby.
Also, the Coldstream Guards hat may look like it is pulled down over his eyes. It was. The front of the hat was flat--you can lay a ruler vertically from the peak to the brass-trimmed bill and the hat would be flat against the ruler. The bill rested on the nose of the wearer. The Coldstream Guards was one of the 5 foot guards of the Royal Palaces.

Steve

#19 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11345 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 11:49 AM

Steve I think it's just fantastic that you have some of your collection on display at your local library. Wow, I am finding out more cool things about ya all the time. It's great that you are making a real difference in your community. Outstanding! armata_PDT_34.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#20 Custermen

Custermen

Major

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 01:37 PM

Well, Marion, I got tired of the boring displays that they usually had out: for example a rock display. I thought they might like to learn a little HISTORY. Most of the times, I've displayed about 20 British regimental cap badges. That sounds like a boring subject, but I tried to display the badges to look appealing. It is almost like a coin collection: you can study the symbols and phrases and origin of each one.
One April a few years ago, I made a display about Italy in April 1945---the last days of the war. I displayed a variety of items, maps and patches, including a photo and bio of Lt. Bob Dole.

Sorry for the size of the Royal Engineer cap photo. I was going to reduce it but I thought you would like to see the details of the badge and the hat.

Steve

#21 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11345 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 01:59 PM

No need to apologize for the size of the photo. It's not like it's 2000 X 2000! laugh.gif

When you place photos like that on the forum, you WANT to see the detail. Heck if you can't, then why have it there at all. No, it's just fine and dandy.

Keep up the great work. Your contributions are really worthwhile. armata_PDT_34.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#22 twobisquit

twobisquit

Captain

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 12:15 AM

This is the uniform of Mitchell Antolich, my wife Karen's fatherIt has been min a cedar chest for 60 years and is in perfect condition except a few wrinkles."Mike" was the other engineer in the faqmily and searvedvin the Pacific.We're not sure how he ended up in the 27th Inf, had a air corp patchand an engineer badge.

This uniform also has the cross stiching on the patches

Also...Can anyone identify the DI on the cap?
Chris

Attached Thumbnails

• uniform1.jpg

Son of Francis "Combat" Stephens- Co. C 36th Combat Engineer Regiment

#23 chambers

chambers

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 672 posts
  • Interests:History, Handbags, Antiques, and DACHSHUNDS!!<br /><br />

Posted 21 May 2006 - 11:49 AM

Cedar chests are the best for preservation. armata_PDT_34.gifA freind of mine has some beautiful Victorian pieces preserved in a cedar chest.

Brooke
God bless those heroes who suffered and died, for plain folks, like you and me.

War is a crime. Ask the infantry and ask the dead.

#24 Custermen

Custermen

Major

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 01:33 PM

Can anyone identify the DI on the cap?

Chris, Can you get a close-up photo? If you have a scanner, you can try scanning it.
You mentioned the 27th Infantry. That regiment was part of the 25th "Lightning" Infantry Division. The patch on the jacket is the 8th Army---I'm not sure where they served at the moment.
The DI for the 27 Infantry Regiment was a black sqaure with a head of a Wolf in the center and inscribed "NEC ASPERA TERRENT". Their DI was unique in that the LH and RH were mirror images---i.e., the wolves faced toward the center of the jacket.
Hope that helped.

Steve

#25 twobisquit

twobisquit

Captain

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 08:44 PM

Steve-
Here is the Di. Those were some pretty bad pictures on that post
I'll post the patches next.
Chris

Attached Thumbnails