• Announcements

• Walt's Daughter

New Registrations   09/22/17

Attention New Registrants - Please take a moment to read the section on REGISTRATION. This will inform you regarding the entire process and hopefully answer all your questions. Too often I receive emails either asking why you can't post yet, or I why I haven't approved your membership?  Thank you for your time, M1
    • Walt's Daughter

Research Assistance Donations   11/23/17

Keep this site up and running for current and future generations. If I've been beneficial to your research, please consider making a donation. Every little bit helps to maintain this web and my research costs (i.e. membership fees to Ancestry.com, Fold3 etc.). PayPal Donations
    • Walt's Daughter

Uploaded Christmas Music   12/01/17

Uploaded Christmas Music to our WWII Jukebox today. Enjoy! http://www.6thcorpsmusic.us/  
    • Walt's Daughter

The Story of Q Trilogy - Marion J Chard   12/02/17

Completed my tween trilogy! Please share with your family and friends. www.storyofq.com
ButnerMuseum

Camp Butner Society and Museum- Butner NC

Hello everyone,

I am happy for my recent addition to the forums. My name is Michael Mercier and I am the curator for the Camp Butner Society and Museum in Butner, North Carolina. The camp was only in operation from 1942 to 1947 but in the first three years saw an estimated 50,000 soldiers come through for training. Now streets that were once lined with barracks, mess halls and admin buildings have houses and businesses.

Our society has been around for about four years and the hardest part about starting a museum so long after the end of the war is not only finding decent, relevant displays for the museum but conducting research on the numerous units and soldiers that spent time here. We are lucky that we have the original post quartermaster’s log that he listed all the units that came to the camp and noted when they left and among them were numerous engineer units (that I will post about in a different thread).

The museum is the least we can do to honor and remember the soldiers, civilians and even prisoners of war who called Camp Butner home. We are temporarily located in a side room of the camp’s original sports arena that was built in 1942 until we can raise the funds to restore our permanent building. Please visit our official Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/CampButnerSociety

Thanks so much!

Michael

Welcome, Michael and thanks to you and your colleagues from the 292nd ECB thread for all that you folks do to preserve the history of those who gave so much!