• Announcements

• Walt's Daughter

The Forum is back - updates on progress!   05/11/17

Oh my gosh, can't tell you what a relief it is to have our forum back. I am simply beside myself with joy! Many of you know, but just as many do not, that I experienced a severe server crash, two weeks ago today. I therefore "temporarily lost" ALL my websites, including the VI Corps main site, this forum, No Bridge Too Far, the VI Corps Jukebox and more than a dozen client sites... Without going into all the gory details, I had to purchase a new server, then start all over from scratch. I did have backups of all the sites, but it's been a real ordeal setting up the server, then one by one, reinstalling each site. I'm almost there, but still have a ways to go, but just got the forum back online, on May 11, 2017 at 12:22. I'm hoping to have the VI Corps main site back by the weekend.  And yes, I am aware of several minor problems, including the fact that many images are currently missing. I need to access the old server again, and copy the uploads folder to our new server. Evidently (for some reason), many of the photos/doc did not transfer. I am working on this, so thank you for your patience. 
    • Walt's Daughter

Attention Validating Members! April through May   05/26/17

Due to the server crash, there are a few dozen people who may have fallen by the wayside, when they tried to register. If your user name appears below, please contact me, so I can make sure to approve your membership. My apologies to any who experienced difficulty from late April through May 2017! Rmb2 rspaw Roger Cooke Pearce Les Lfpre DWBell Sheila Randy Dan M JGSTEIG Medicbear bonno5id Ckey Wayne Buck Melissaharder CHARLES R. JOHNSON jclark 1945 Sherry Greyfriar Ken Glace edwardj20@comcast,net (I strongly urge you to change your username. Forum members should never use their email addresses) Kathleen O'Brien Rongione Skyline Drive agilulfe88 Dissipated Shadow machurtado
Wee Willie

Wee Willie

7 posts in this topic

These are some pictures that my father in law had stashed away.  I am assuming that he was in the 1058th because of the pictures, but all of his records were lost in the fire of 1973.  In the one picture with his buddies in a bar or something, George Brannon is the one on the far right.  I have no idea who the others are.  The picture where they are sitting on a dock or bridge, George is in the center front.

I have a lot more pictures, and will probably post them later.  Most appear to be official Army photos that were badly copied.

1058Engrs 001.jpg

George Brannon w Army Buddies 1945.jpg

p.2a.jpg

p.10017a.jpg

p.10019a.jpg

p.10020a.jpg

p.10021a.jpg

p.10027a.jpg

Walt's Daughter, buk2112 and CaptO like this

Awesome. Welcome to the forum. Can't wait to see more!!!

As you will discover, (see our RESEARCH section), NARA in St Louis is NOT the only place they kept soldier's discharge documents. Why they simply don't tell us this in the first place, is beyond me. But no, you only get a letter saying, "Sorry...", with no other information. Sigh!

You will also discover that unit records are kept in a building in Maryland. These are official archived army documents, that include daily, weekly, and monthly journals, along with maps, photos, etc. 

I figured that they were the same then as when I was in the Army, and that there has to be something somewhere.  I just have to figure out which unit he may have been in.  I think that he may have been one that went to the Phillipines because he had a collection of coins from France, Belgium, Germany, and the Phillipines.  I am going to post some more pictures here, and I wanted to add that my Father in law's full name was George Edward Brannon and he usually went by Ed

p.10001a.jpg

p.10002a.jpg

p.10003a.jpg

p.10004a.jpg

p.10005a.jpg

p.10011a.jpg

p.10018.jpg

p.10022a.jpg

p.10024a.jpg

p.10026a.jpg

p.10032a.jpg

p.10034a.jpg

p.10036a.jpg

p.10038a.jpg

p.10043a.jpg

p.10045a.jpg

p.10046a.jpg

p.10047a.jpg

p.10049a.jpg

p.10051a.jpg

p.10055a.jpg

p.10056a.jpg

p.10058a.jpg

p.10059a.jpg

p.10061a.jpg

p.10064a.jpg

p.10066a.jpg

p.10069a.jpg

p.10072a.jpg

p.10073a.jpg

p.10074a.jpg

buk2112 and CaptO like this

I have not seen many of these photos before, so that is always cool. No matter how many bridge shots I have looked at, it still amazes me.

This post (elsewhere on our forum) is really interesting and even includes entries from a veteran that was there. It brings up the Philippines too. Talk about traversing the earth! :o 

CaptO likes this

Very awesome pictures. Like M1, I don't see a lot of "new" WWII pictures. It's sort of amazing, but with some many pictures, you usually see only the same pictures in all books, websites and TV shows. Always good to see new ones - and good new ones at that.

Walt's Daughter likes this

These are absolutely awesome historical photographs! Thanks so much for sharing them with us, those are great treasures you have there. LOL at the one depicting the "gallows humor", love it!

Walt's Daughter likes this