NEW REGISTRATIONS - Please read first! Read more... ×
Research Assistance Donations - your help is appreciated Read more... ×
Walt's Daughter

36th/540th Reunion - September 11-14, 2014

Well it looks like there WILL BE another reunion in 2014. Great news!

Everything is in the works right now. Looks like a possible October date, but nothing is in stone right now. A good possibility that it will take place on the east coast. Many of the vets live out that way, so it would be nice for them.

If all is well, I plan on attending, as does Colin (our buddy from England), so good lord providing, we will toast to the vets, yet another time.

Keep tuned for more info as it comes our way.

:pdt12: :pdt12: :pdt12: :pdt12:

Can I add to the above M1 by saying how pleased I am to see the possibilites already being examind for 2014. I live east of the east coast, so it suits me fine as well !!

A lot of months to cross off the calendar, but the wait will be worthwhile.

Colin.

Alas, I sit west of the West Coast so I don't think I would be able to make it again. I will, as always, look forward to stories and pictures. Do you shoot any video at these things?

Yes, we do. I will soon have video to share from last year, including yours truly singing with the 40's band.

Plans are shaping up. John Fallon is working with the mayor, etc, to drum up donation to help cover expenses this year, since the rates are much higher than they were in Lebanon PA. I will also be starting an online donation campaign, and will hopefully have it up and running by mid-April.

We staying at the Windrift Hotel in Avalon, NJ, which is right on the shore and a few miles from the American Legion Hall in Stone Harbor. To reserve a room, say you are with the Veterans of Avalon, in order to receive your discounted rate of $175.00 per night. Phone number of hotel is:

800-453-7438

Reunion dates are:

Thursday, Sept 11 through Sunday, Sept 14 in Avalon/ Stone Harbor, NJ, but several of us are arriving early (Tues/Wed), so join us as soon as you can.

Events will be held at the American Legion Hall. John Fallon is a local member and lives nearby.

Stay tuned for news as it becomes available, as everything is still in the working stages.

Thanks!!!

Map of area with major airports, the hotel and the American Legion

Edited by Walt's Daughter
update April 7, 2014

Looking forward to Reunion 2015!!

Oh good and there will be one, one way or another. We have to keep the spirit alive for all who are interested in the history of our fathers and grandfathers.

This is so cool. I was looking around for entertainment, and the first thing I found was, the Avalon Community Hall is featuring a BIG BAND DANCE, the last night of the reunion. I still can't believe that. Must be karma! What a perfect end to a weekend for the "boys". Now wouldn't that be fun?

I wrote a letter and asked them to get back with me. Can't wait to get a reply.

http://www.visitavalonnj.com/event/big-band-dance-20

GREAT news. Wound up getting three-bedroom condo at the same Winddrift Hotel. This will act as our communal meeting room/hospitality suite. Here's the scoop on the condo.

Room Features

• Full Kitchen
  • Complimentary Wi-Fi
  • DVD Player
  • Balcony
  • Washer/Dryer
  • Two bathrooms
  • Living and Dining room

Two of us are arriving at the hotel on Tuesday the 9th, with others arriving on Wed and Thursday, so if you can get away early, don't wait until Thursday or Friday and come enjoy the Jersey Shore with us!

We are a very relaxed group and generally play everything by ear. We don't punch clocks and have guided tours, etc. It's basically a meet, eat, great and several day party. We are a fun-loving group who loves to chat and laugh and enjoy our surroundings. We will have a formal dinner on Sat and usually go out to a nice dinner Friday evening.

In 90 days time (9th September 2014) I will be arriving from the UK in Newark, NJ on my way to the 36th/540th Reunion in Stone Harbour. Once again it will be my honour and pleasure to meet veterans, relatives and friends of these very special men who fought for us in WW2.

The locattion, venues and company are set fair to make this a great get-together!

Colin. :smwave:

Here, here!

Here's a letter from John Fallon with more details.

Letter form John Fallon April 2014.pdf

I dont think it needs to be the last reunion, although the wording may need to be changed. We could continue to keep the memory alive of these veterans as long as a number of friends and relatives want to get together. Some are still with us and although each year there are fewer, perhaps other people connected with the 36th/540th would feel the same? I realise as a guest my thoughts might not carry much weight but I would like to hear what others think on this?

Colin.

Oh I entirely agree. It's NOT the last reunion, for I plan on keeping this going as long as I can. As stated in many earlier posts since almost the beginning of this forum, we may combine several engineer units and celebrate WWII engineers, with their family and friends. Seahorses will be remembered forever.

Thank you Colin for your continued support, belief and enthusiasm.

Getting all my 40's outfits together. Bought a few more, including another dress and two rompers/jumpers. So cute. And two pairs of shoes. I am ready for everything, including a Saturday night dance with a big band.

GO FUND ME CAMPAIGN for the 2014 veteran's reunion. It went live today, July 28, 2014

http://www.gofundme.com/c3muio

36th Combat Engineer WWII Reunion 2014

1811136_1406303590.0244.jpg

We, the sons and daughters of the WWII "Rugged Seahorses" and other dedicated parties, are setting up this funding campaign in order to offset some of the expenses of this year's reunion. The remaining WWII veterans are in their 90's and every year their numbers are unfortunately and sadly dwindling.

This year we're expecting about a half dozen veterans, along with their families, and we'd like to pay our respects and show them a wonderful time in September. They only have a few hundred dollars left in their reunion fund, so we are hoping that you will make a generous donation today. This will not only help to defray some expenses but your kindness will help make this a an even more memorable occasion for the attendees. Do I hear an Andrew Sisters trio singing to "the boys"?

This is a very special group of men, who still live life to the fullest, love to have fun and have true hearts of gold. They gave their all for their country and are very proud to have served in World War II. Their campaigns spanned from North Africa in 1942 to Sicily, Italy, Southern France and finally the long trek into Germany in 1945.

I hope you will take the time to visit the VI Corps website dedicated to them and to visit the photo gallery, which not only includes photos from the war, but from previous reunions, 1946 to present.

This video clip was filmed at one of the reunions. It features Carl Furtado and Tony Stefanelli, talking about their WWII experiences. We're sure you'll enjoy this personal glimpse from two of the men who will be in attendance the second week of September.

With gratitude and love,

The proud sons and daughters

Wowzeeeeee! We have raised $300.00 in just a few days. So thrilled. Many thanks to everyone who's sent in a kind donation. Won't the vets be thrilled when they find out about this campaign in September. HUGS!!!!

:clappin::wub:

I'm so pleased to see your efforts are going well Marion. Thanks are due to all those who are helping with the fundraising. The vets already owe you a lot and I'm very proud to be associated with this years reunion.

Just to tease you I'm planning a small suprise of my own !!

Colin.

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait. Did I tell ya that "I can't wait?" :pdt12: :pdt12: :pdt12:

Just received another $100.00 donation. Oh my God, this is so wonderful. Feeling very blessed and very excited about the prospects. :huggybears:

Will be posting ALL the pics soon in the photo gallery. Will post the link as soon as they are ready. Have pics from several people, so it takes a long time to edit, name and upload. Sorry for the delay and thanks for your patience.

Okay, these photos are from Lorraine Hudock's and my collection. Hope you enjoy them!

These images can be viewed in our Photo Gallery.

I found 5 more photos that Lorraine had shared with me. I had overlooked them. They are now added to the photo gallery. Sorry about that. Dang, thought I was perfect. :pdt12: :pdt12: :pdt12: