New Registrations Read more... ×
Research Assistance Donations Read more... ×
Apologies - Forum was down for several days Read more... ×
slinky75

Looking for a place for my Grandpa

Hi and welcome to the forum. Thanks for posting those links for all of us. I look forward to hearing about your dad!

Slinky 75 - I can confirm your Grandfather was in HQ Co., 824th Engineer Aviation Battalion. The reason I state so is that I paid a researcher, Golden Arrow Military Research https://www.goldenarrowresearch.com/ to attempt to find my Dad's records. Geoff Gentilini, who did an excellent job finding and summarizing what he could find in Company Morning Reports, Company Pay Rosters, and a most crucial document for you, sent me a .pdf file containing the Order which sent our ancestors on to a Replacement Depot from Iceland to be plus-ups to other EABs in the event they took combat losses.

Your Grandfather is listed as Tec 4 Hamilton C Snell 3301266?4 Hq Co on the document I have for "B" Co ( all others are lined out, so your Grandfather is listed but crossed out, making out his serial #  tough ).

I'd suggest you get in touch with Geoff at Golden Arrow. He did an amazing job filling in more of some of the things I knew, and finding things I did not know about my Dad's service, and what I paid for it was well worth it to me.

I'll try to print out that Order and attach it in a next post, hope I am successful, and I hope you see this many-years-later reply.

My younger daughter took me to Iceland and Normandy in June 2017 to retrace my Dad's footsteps. It was an emotional event, to say the least.

This is a pic of my Dad ( then Pvt Joseph F. Kubik Jr ) with one gentleman identified, George Sabol. He wrote to my Mom in Jan 1997,  looking to reconnect with my Dad who had already passed away. Both my Dad and Mr. Sabol arrived in Iceland June 22, 1942 and the Company Morning Report for B Co. 824th EAB shows their assignment to that Co. effective that date.

George Sabol pic with Dad Iceland 1942.jpg

The attached .pdf file of an INDIGO Jan 1942 memo states that Co.s B & C 21st Aviation Regiment ( I believe of the 1st Battalion ) were sent in January 1942 to Iceland to relieve the Marines already there. I obtained this declassified from a research trip to the NARA Archives at College Park, MD.

Memo_Jan_1942_Indigo.pdf

I hope Slinky will see this, since his last post was made in 2012. I think you should contact him by private message too, because if his email is still the same, it will go directly to him. Fingers crossed. 

Marion,

Yes, I PM'D him yesterday. I even found his address / phone # thru switchboard/whitepages.com, but since my Connecticut phone#s ( house and cell ) were not known to him, his phone terminated the calls.

I have considered waiting a couple of days and if nothing, I'll mail that 30 May 1944 sheet to him. His family might have to pick him up off the floor after he opens it …..

My Grandmother saved these envelopes and the cards in them sent by my Dad from Iceland.

Shows the 824th, which, like what Slinky 75 related, his Honorable Discharge shows something else ( since learned a Discharge shows the LAST unit someone was assigned to, not ALL ). My Dad's DD214 shows the 820th EAB, which is where he was placed for D-Day.

Mother's_Day_Card_Envelopes_showing_Company_B_824th_EAB_1943_19.pdf

Hon_Discharge_JFK_Jr_page1.jpg

Hon_Discharge_JFK_Jr_page2.jpg

This is beyond words. I am so grateful to you and so happy that you joined the forum and are able to share all the documentation and wonderful photographs. 

21 hours ago, 05redhorse said:

Marion,

Yes, I PM'D him yesterday. I even found his address / phone # thru switchboard/whitepages.com, but since my Connecticut phone#s ( house and cell ) were not known to him, his phone terminated the calls.

I have considered waiting a couple of days and if nothing, I'll mail that 30 May 1944 sheet to him. His family might have to pick him up off the floor after he opens it …..

Yes, and I think you are right, his family might have to pick him off the floor. I know I'd need help recovering... :blink: :drinkin: