NEW REGISTRATIONS - Please read first! Read more... ×
Research Assistance Donations - your help is appreciated Read more... ×
Walt's Daughter

Combined 36th/540th Reunion 2010

Let the party begin. More news to follow soon, but the reunion will go on as scheduled. Same month, same place. Here's some news from John Fallon.

I have been sending out our regular reunion announcements to Colonel George Gardes (ret) and he and his wife will be attending our reunion in Lebanon. They have already made reservations and I hope you will do so soon. Colonel Gardes is the son of General Gardes who was our Commander and later 6th Corps Engineer. He is bringing pictures of the early 36th including pictures of the 36th at Plattsburg

36 Engineers are rugged......John Fallon II. Capt. USA Ret.

==============

Quality Inn

625 Quentin Rd.

Lebanon, PA

17042-7088

Toll-Free: (800) 626-8242 or (717) 273-6771

Fax: (717) 273-4882

Make your reservations by September 1, 2010 to make sure you get a room. Let them know that you are part of the 36th/540th Reunion to get discounted rate! Hotel rooms are $58.00 per night and includes breakfast.

Thursday- Sunday, September 23rd to 26th, 2010

The Colony Room (our hospitality suite) is available to us for all four days. Snacks will be provided, along with beer and wine.

We usually plan a nice dinner out at a local restaurant on Friday night. If you are interested, let John or I know ahead of time so we can include you in the reservations. If not, the Colony Room will be open for your use.

There will be a banquet Saturday evening. This is a semi-formal affair.

DVD presentations by YOURS TRULY will be shown throughout the weekend.

Bring your photos, etc. We have a LOT of fun reminiscing!

------------------------------------

PLEASE MAIL $40.00 (per person) to JOHN FALLON to cover dinner and hospitality suite goodies before September 1, 2010. Let him know how many will be attending along with names, so he can prepare your name tags. Send check or money order to:

John Fallon

2459 First Ave

Avalon, NJ 08202

-----------------------------------

Nearest available airport - Harrisburg, PA (approximately 30 minutes west of our hotel)

The famous Hershey's Chocolate Factory/Museum, in Hershey, PA is located between airport and Lebanon. Plan on stopping in!

-----------------------------------

Map of Area

http://www.lebanonpa.org/lebanoncity/site/default.asp

Captain John Fallon proudly reports - dated March 29, 2010

They are reporting in in good numbers. We will have at least as many as last year at the reunion.

YEAH!!!!

:bluejumper:

Are any of our members going to join me in September? Just curious. I am praying for a good turnout. If it's at all possible to make it, please try. Would be an honor and so much fun to see ya there!!!

:armata_PDT_01:

Just booked the hotel. YEAH! Now later today, my flight...

Turns out that I will be in Quantico, VA for that week. That puts me within 4 hours drive of Lebanon. Unfortunately, I don't think I can justify driving 185 miles out of the way in a government supplied rental car for this thing. It's very sad to be so close but close enough!! :(

Of course politicians can fly all their buddies here and there on the tax payer dime with no issues. . . Not saying I should, but let them be scrutinized for every penny they spend for a change!!

[sorry, I'm off my soap box!]

:cuss:

Oh, that is too bad! So close. I was really hoping...

I haven't heard of ANY kids or grandkids going yet, to represent the 540th! That is sad! I hope at least a couple make it.

One guy wrote to me and said, maybe in a couple of years. I wrote back and said, do you realize that none of them may be around in a couple of years? It really can't wait!

There may be reunion (and if I have my way, YES) in a few years, but it may be JUST the the family members, saluting and remembering these guys. SO, if anyone can possibly make it, do so this year. Don't kick yourself in the ass later. It may be TOO late.

Oh I did get my flight. So now I am all set. Can't wait!!!

Well John reports today.

...We have 20 signed up and hope for 2 or maybe 4 more....

Come on gang, let's get a few more people, even if you can only visit for a day.

Well how's this for dedication and enthusiasm?!? Our very own COLIN is flying in from England to attend the reunion. Holy cow! I was so thrilled when I got your PM this weekend.

So happens, we will arrive at the airport within minutes of each other.

Cannot wait to meet you in person. This is very exciting.

:bluejumper:

Thank you for the invite Marion, I only hope everyone else is as enthusiastic about my attending as you! - lol

It will be good to meet all the people here that I have come to know over the years I've been a member of this great website. It will be an honour to be among those attending the reunion.

Colin. :14_1_107v:

John's response to my letter this morning, letting him know you were flyin' in...

That is super! The money can wait.

Thank you Marion.

Been on Google Earth this morning looking round Lebanon. Found the Quality Inn on Quentin Road and was pleased to see how nice the area looked - plenty of green. Looks like I should pack my Speedos too!!

Actually it is a very lovely area. It is very green and hilly, and also has a lot of nice spots to visit. Do you realize it ain't that far from Gettysburg???

See that there!

Now if we can get a few more members to attend... hint, hint...

Just got this in the mail this morning from Captain John Fallon, 36th Engineer. John is the one who really kicks things into gear for our reunions. I am still laughing. Can't wait to sing this at the reunion. We will definitely have to record this one!

Thanks John! You're da best!

:drinkin::drinkin:

The_Engineer_March001.pdf

Marion, I've downloaded the words and promise to learn the chorus before I arrive in Lebanon PA for the reunion!! :pdt34:

Colin.

Sign us up for a recording contract. Decca, here we come!

post-2-1283694518_thumb.gif

34th Inf. Divn. (RED BULL), REUNION---THURSDAY TO SUNDAY, Sept. 9-10-11-12 Des Moines. Ia

Leaving tomorrow! :wav: We are going to have a very good turn-out. Colin, can't wait to meet you in person. We are also going to have a few other first-timers too. Way to go crew!!!!

Hugs to all,

M1

Also going to have a surprise for my boys, if all goes as planned.

Got to meet Colin today. We are already having a blast in PA. What a wonderful delightful trip. I am so glad to make your acquaintance.

Delighted in PA,

M1

Well, settling in from the flight back home. Flight got delayed, therefore making it necessary for me to reschedule, for I could no longer make my connector flight in Atlanta. But it wound up working out just great, for Colin's flight to the UK, wasn't scheduled to leave until after 5:00 PM, and my new flight didn't leave until 4:25 PM, so we wound up having another three hours together at the airport.

I so enjoyed your company then, and during the entire time in PA. Colin what an honor and privilege it was to finally be able to meet you. Words cannot say enough...

I will have more on the GREAT reunion info including tons of wonderful images, but later today and during the week. A bit tired today, and sitting here having a nice cup of coffee.

Kudos to all who attended, including our new friends, the PA re-enactors who did an outstanding job entertaining the crowd. So glad you got to attend and look forward to seeing you next year. Bigger and better!!! It was fun getting rides in the jeep. The vets loved it and so did everyone else. Glad I could pull off the surprise for the entire group.

More later...

Love,

M1

Okay here's a quick one before I go take care of my morning orders for my store...

Colin and I at the Saturday night formal dinner at the hotel.

post-2-1285590796_thumb.jpg

Well here I am back home in the UK after 4 days that will live in my memory for ever. I was honoured to attend the 36th/540th reunion in Pennsylvania and must first of all thank Marion for inviting me and John Fallon for the welcome that he and all the others gave me. The vets and their families and the sons and daughters of those no longer with us, made my stay so special to me.

I have already decided that I will attend next year, so many people said I had to go back and told me they expected me to be there!

I now have 25 more friends in the USA, to go along with those in Canada the UK and other parts of the world, all with a common link of WWII.

I have a large number of pics but I have chosen just two. The 1st a group shot of the Vets along with a re-enactor. The 2nd, a very important one to me of Iradell Gaylen a US Army Engineer who fought on Sicily and Gene his brother who was in the US Infantry and landed on D-Day. My long conversation with both of them was the highlight of my visit. Of course meeting Marion for the first time who I have known since the start of her website 6 years ago was also special.

Colin.

post-867-1285664068_thumb.jpg

post-867-1285664095_thumb.jpg

Sure was an EXTRA-SPECIAL weekend. Just when you think they can't get any better; they do. And Colin was one who definitely made his mark on the event.

I am hoping your trip to the reunion will help inspire those who live in the states, to attend next year. If you can fly all the way from England, then someone who lives an hour away or one state away, can surely make an effort to attend this very special event. :heartpump:

As I always tell everyone, I look forward to flying to PA more than anything else on my calendar during the year. I think Colin can understand that now. :clappin2:

Well off to put on a pot of coffee. More pics coming your way soon...

Maybe we could get up a party to visit from your website European Branch, Marion. Would'nt that be great??

Colin.

A jolly good idea. Maybe we could get Frank and Vee and a few others to join us. What a wonderful trip that would be. What say ye???