NEW REGISTRATIONS - Please read first! Read more... ×
Research Assistance Donations - your help is appreciated Read more... ×
Frank Gubbels

American cemeteries overseas

Frank,

This is a very beautiful tribute.Thank you for sharing it with us.

ColBill

And a new book is (coming) out:

From farmland to soldiers cemetery

Eyewitness accounts of the construction of the American cemetery in Margraten.

Adr. Heinen Uitgevers, ‘s-Hertogenbosch, commissioned by Stichting(*) Akkers van Margraten.

ISBN 9789086801510

Price € 19,95

*(stichting=foundation)

Just read Denis and Gerda's letter to all. Very touching. It makes it even more special somehow, in their "broken" English. They still manage to tell their heartfelt story.

:armata_PDT_01:

Here you can visit the database of a Dutch forum about the adoption program. They are trying to collect as many information as they can about troopers who are buried in Margraten, Henri-Chapelle and Neuville-en-condroz (near Liege).

Off course, Roy booher and Paul Carter are on the database too.

Regards,

Frank

http://www.adoptiegraven-database.nl/

What a great idea. Ah, so many names, n'est pas? It's always sobering to view a list of names of the dead. Really makes you think.

I think it makes people aware that we must not forget what they did for others. Off course it will sadden you.

Frank

Adr. Heinen Uitgevers, ‘s-Hertogenbosch, commissioned by Stichting(*) Akkers van Margraten.

ISBN 9789086801510

Price € 19,95

*(stichting=foundation)

This is a wonderful book. It really takes you back to the winter of 1944-1945. I't contains some very touching stories. Even from American veterans who buried the deceased.

This is the original tekst from the writer:

In November 1944 on the Plateau of Margraten, a beginning was made with the burials of more than twenty thousand victims of the Second World War. Most of them were Americans, but also Germans, Russians, Italians and many other nationalities. Over twenty hectares of farmland changed into a huge soldiers cemetery within a very short time. This book recounts what the construction of the cemetery meant to the local population, to the landowners, to the people who saw the transports of the dead pass by and to those who had to bury these thousands, for the most part young men.

The book contains 41 written portraits, little biographies of ordinary, but sometimes special people. These are the memories of men and women, white and black, from townspeople to officers and soldiers from the United States. Even a former German prisoner of war tells his story. They all have one thing in common: their memories of that time, more than sixty-five years ago. Memories that still haunt them and which were recorded on video in the Oral History Akkers van Margraten (Fields of Margraten).

http://www.akkersvanmargraten.nl/site%20en...OUNDATION).html

http://thehague.usembassy.gov/news/events/...n-cemetery.html

Vee

post-227-1265110546_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the additional information Vee. I completely forgot to add that <_<

Thank you for the additional information Vee. I completely forgot to add that <_<

At your service Sir !! :)

Vee ;)

I know of Vee's commitment to the graves of US soldiers killed in WW2. On the basis of what she says above and her photo, I think this is another book to be reserved from my local library. WW2 cemeterys are an area that have been a research interest for me over the last 7 years as some here will have noted.

Colin.

Colin.

This is a book only about the American cemetery in Margraten, Holland.

Thank you Frank, but the story looks interesting. It will also be good to see how good my local library are at locating it!!

Colin.

It IS really interesting but I just wanted to tell you that it's about Margraten only. It is a must have if you want to know how they buried the men. You will be surprised and maybe shocked. That's all I wanna say for now.

Frank

ISBN 9789086801510

Price € 19,95

*(stichting=foundation)

I have not read this book yet but I plan to. I have read a similar book about this cemetery called "The Margraten Boys" by Peter Schrijvers.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=the+margraten+boys

It is a great book, really enjoyed reading it, highly recommend it to anyone. It covers the history of the cemetery and the grave adoption program from the beginning until present. Stories of many of the soldiers buried there are recounted. The stories of the grave adopters making contact and establishing relationships with relatives of the fallen soldiers are especially touching. You really have to take your hat off to the Dutch for the care and dedication they have shown in honoring these heroes.

Randy

Here, here! I get letters all the time from loving and caring souls who reach out to me regarding our soldiers. They are so many wonderful people who dedicate their lives to our "boys". Many are generational and take over the care of these graves through successive family members. Very touching.

I have not read this book yet but I plan to. I have read a similar book about this cemetery called "The Margraten Boys" by Peter Schrijvers.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=the+margraten+boys

It is a great book, really enjoyed reading it, highly recommend it to anyone. It covers the history of the cemetery and the grave adoption program from the beginning until present. Stories of many of the soldiers buried there are recounted. The stories of the grave adopters making contact and establishing relationships with relatives of the fallen soldiers are especially touching. You really have to take your hat off to the Dutch for the care and dedication they have shown in honoring these heroes.

Randy

Randy, this book is outstanding as well. There is also a book called Crosses in the wind. It is written by Lt. Col. Shomon who was in charge of the burials.

Frank

This project is returning this year

http://www.thefacesofmargraten.com/index.php/en-US/

If someone can provide more pictures of troopers, you are more than welcome to share the pictures

I was just contacted by another similar group, a few days ago. They needed a picture of someone from our site. Was happy to provide.

This project is returning this year

http://www.thefacesofmargraten.com/index.php/en-US/

If someone can provide more pictures of troopers, you are more than welcome to share the pictures

Such a great project, hope they get a photo for each and every soldier

Randy

Hello Everyone,

I saw this link posted on another forum. It is to some early records of a number of the American Military cemeteries in Europe. I found it most interesting and it even helped me solve the name on a cross in a photograph I had been working on.

http://www.7tharmddiv.org/docrep/images/US-Non-7AD/AGRS/Cemeteries/

Randy

I love these kind of stories. This one involves one of the "Margraten Boys", the article appeared in the Sunday 3-13-16 addition of the St. Louis Post Dispatch.

Randy

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/columns/tony-messenger/messenger-a-st-louis-soldier-s-wwii-dog-tags-finally/article_e26b28c9-5f1f-576c-aa2c-4f854b3bfc54.html