• Announcements

• Walt's Daughter

Advertisers   08/12/17

If you would like to advertise on my VI Corps site, please let me know. However, all ads must be directly related to WWII. Are you an author? Are you conducting tours? Are you a researcher? Prices are very reasonable, for aren't we here to benefit each other? Looking forward to hearing from you. 

Viewers, please note, there WILL NOT be giant pop-up ads on my site. Nothing infuriates me more than going to someone's site and having to scroll past obnoxious, in your face ads or ones that are stuck in the middle of articles, forcing you to scroll further down the page to see the rest of the paragraphs. They will be tasteful, appropriately places small banners.
    • Walt's Daughter

New Registrations   09/22/17

Attention New Registrants - Please take a moment to read the section on REGISTRATION. This will inform you regarding the entire process and hopefully answer all your questions. Too often I receive emails either asking why you can't post yet, or I why I haven't approved your membership?  Thank you for your time, M1
Walt's Daughter

351st General Service Regiment

That simply indicated a beachhead landing...

New to this wonderful site! My father recently passed at 90 but before he died he asked that I "learn" about his engineer unit and try to find family members of his two best buddies. It was odd because all my life (and I am 60) he refused to discuss anything about his army days. Near death, he said he was in the 293rd Engineer Battalion General Services and he told me where to find some pictures of him and his buddies during the war and training. He had never let on that he had these pictures. Problem is that with his picures were also many of his separation papers. These papers clearly show that he was in Co C. 351st Engineer bn GS. But the pictures he directed me to clearly show 293rd Engineer bn trucks and named barracks type buildings in the background (specifically 2nd Plt, Co B. 293rd). His name is Angelo Manzie and his buddies were George McNeill and George Claussen, In his memory I want to learn all I can about his unit...

Hmm, will have to ascertain, but it is not unlikely that he could have been in both. Let me look into this. Oh, BTW, welcome to the forum!

Is it possible you can send me or upload a copy of this separation papers?

You can send it to my email address, or if you'd like, simply upload it here. That is up to you.

It is also a good possibility, this was the unit he shipped home with. This wasn't unusual, especially if he stayed in occupied Europe for a while.

I wish that the separation papers showed this. It would save people a lot of headache if this were the case. I get this question a lot.

A mighty impressive set of images. I have been looking into the 351st Engineers at Porthcawl and thought I could provide some feedback. There are 3 images taken along the Porthcawl seafront that can be imagined from a similar view obtainable from Google Maps. The Guys marching along a road with a wall to the right and few people watching was taken at ...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4762159,-3.7085753,3a,28.2y,303.08h,86.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1seMuNLXf3kNPHJZMMgDdYQA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The two showing a marching column of GI's and a column of Women (ATS ?) was taken here ...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4756425,-3.704003,3a,52.1y,308.69h,80.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slmlLanTCxNfAta6XRI7Z_w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I think the photo of your grand father standing on what looks like a river bridge may have been taken in Cardiff (the overhead wires in the background could be overhead electrical feeds to the trolley bus system) - I will feed back if I find anything.

There is a booklet "Porthcawl at War 1939-1945" by Mike Mansley that has an account of the 351st (amongst other U.S troops) at Porthcawl and, perhaps the only reminder of their presence, a concrete block with the Engineers "Castle" emblem pressed into the surface. It is in poor condition and the metal emblem that may have been there originally is absent. There is a photo of it taken in the 1990's in that book.

I would be most interested in any information relating to the 351st or other units stationed in Porthcawl in the run up to Normandy and can provide an e-mail address if that would be convenient.

Their memories must be kept alive so that the younger generations can appreciate their sacrifice. Terry.

Van, on 14 Mar 2011 - 12:38 PM, said:

Hello Joel,
My grandfather might have known your grandfather. I seem to remember him talking about a guy up there that he kept in contact with. My grandfather had a number of photos from his service in the 351st engineers. I'll pm you the google photos link for the album I have scanned. I am very interested in the photos that you have.

post-1154-0-43476400-1483794636_thumb.jpg

post-1154-0-44929900-1483794646_thumb.jpg

Nope, it's not dead. The entire gallery is up and running. Your link above points directly to the gallery. The link below is his direct point.

Wade Huber