New Registrations Read more... ×
Research Assistance Donations Read more... ×
Apologies - Forum was down for several days Read more... ×
Walt's Daughter

Documentary - No Bridge Too Far

What outfit was your buddy, Mr. Medina in? At Cassino.

We were there, town of Cassino, and up the mountain to the Monastary of Cassino.

Ask him if he heard of the 34th I.D. Medina hm, countryman.. Roque Riojas

Roque,

Joe Medina was on my Dad's machine gun crew at Cassino. They were together from Fort Rielly Kansas in the Cav, to Africa to Italy and Germany.Joe told me that Cassino was pretty rough and he remembers going through alot of rounds there with their little .30. they were attached to the 36th ID at the time.

I mentioned you Rocky to him and told him about you being the president of the 34th. I could give you his address if you would like to write. He doesnt have a computer but I'm sure he would like to talk .

I never can pass up an opportunity to post a picture. Here is Medina Stephens and Howe

post-32-1200103071_thumb.jpg

Roque,

Joe Medina was on my Dad's machine gun crew at Cassino. They were together from Fort Rielly Kansas in the Cav, to Africa to Italy and Germany.Joe told me that Cassino was pretty rough and he remembers going through alot of rounds there with their little .30. they were attached to the 36th ID at the time.

I mentioned you Rocky to him and told him about you being the president of the 34th. I could give you his address if you would like to write. He doesnt have a computer but I'm sure he would like to talk .

I never can pass up an opportunity to post a picture. Here is Medina Stephens and Howe

twobisquit: it would be nice to talkto him. If you care to give me his address and maybe

his phone no. I could call him say after 9pm. free call. send me an e-mail direct.

(**address removed by admin**). The36th was on our left flank. Ask him about the

RAPIDO RIVER. Rocky

Rocky, please don't put your email out on the forum, it leaves you WIDE open for spam.

:blink: Those people can and will get your email address and bombard you with hundreds of junk emails.

It's better to use the private message feature.

Brooke

Rocky, please don't put your email out on the forum, it leaves you WIDE open for spam.

:blink: Those people can and will get your email address and bombard you with hundreds of junk emails.

It's better to use the private message feature.

Brooke

thank you so much Brooke,, I didn't realize This. I will not do anything to cause

any trouble, I appologize. I quess I should have said tohave him send me a direct

e-mail, would that be OK? Again I am sorry. ten lashes with a wet noodle, Rocky

Chris

I do have Joe's address, so will send him the documentary this weekend. :drinkin:

Rocky, no need to apologize, Brooke was trying to save YOU, because you would have been bombarded with junk in your inbox! :machinegun:

Chris

I do have Joe's address, so will send him the documentary this weekend. :drinkin:

Rocky, no need to apologize, Brooke was trying to save YOU, because you would have been bombarded with junk in your inbox! :machinegun:

THANK YOU, , ,,Maid Marion,, IT'S JUST AFTER 8AM cst. Gotta start getting ready, going

to a STATE BOARD MEETING of the "American G.I. Forum", at the state capitol,

Topeka, Ks. Don't know why I was asked to attend. Rocky

PM sent Rocky

Thanks alot Marion for the DVD. Joe's grandaughter is realising they were part of a special group of guys.

Chris

Thanks Twobisquit-Marion-Brooke msg. recvd.-- Twobis----- will try after 9pm on phone

Alert the oleboy for a call with a funny No. Rocky

Twobisquit----Talked to Joe last night, 9:15 pm C.S.T. He is 3 yrs. younger

than me. Kinda hard to hear him on cell ph. Had a REAL NICE chat. Next

time I might ask him If I can go there for some Tacos or Burritos. He said

it was 60 deg. there, I told him 24 in K.C. And yes we talked about

Cassino and Anzio. His outfit joined the 36th I.D. after the Rapido River

crossing. He knew that we,(34th I.D.) had more than 600 days of combat.

Thanks again for getting two old warhorses together eventho it was

by phone. Rocky :armata_PDT_37::armata_PDT_37:

Rocky,

I'm glad you enjoyed talking to Joe. I have thought for awhile that the two of you had quite a bit in common. That weather out there sure sounded good. He got a pretty good chuckle when I told him we had a balmy 35 degrees yesterday, since he was hoping it would warm up a little more there. Those folks in California have it tough.

Maybe between the two of you guys I can get a good green chile recipe. :rolleyes:

Chris

Rocky,

I'm glad you enjoyed talking to Joe. I have thought for awhile that the two of you had quite a bit in common. That weather out there sure sounded good. He got a pretty good chuckle when I told him we had a balmy 35 degrees yesterday, since he was hoping it would warm up a little more there. Those folks in California have it tough.

Maybe between the two of you guys I can get a good green chile recipe. :rolleyes:

Chris

5 Jalapenos- 3 Habaneros two tomatoes,(not the two legged kind), dash salt

little oregano. put in mixer but have an extinguisher handy. Blow your mind.

Rocky I might call Joe later in week.

5 Jalapenos- 3 Habaneros two tomatoes,(not the two legged kind), dash salt

little oregano. put in mixer but have an extinguisher handy. Blow your mind.

Rocky I might call Joe later in week.

Holy Cow!...3 habaneros! So that's the secret to a long life. Mmmmm sounds pretty good but I will need alot of Coors Light for a fire extinguisher

Chris

Emailed my stepson this evening and asked him if he would be interested in doing some of the voice-overs for the project. I want to have a male voice do all the parts when I am quoting the veterans themselves. I think it would be a nice touch and add some interest too. :armata_PDT_01:

Emailed my stepson this evening and asked him if he would be interested in doing some of the voice-overs for the project. I want to have a male voice do all the parts when I am quoting the veterans themselves. I think it would be a nice touch and add some interest too. :armata_PDT_01:

GREAT IDEA!!! GO FOR IT Rocky.

I have had several dozen people offer comments and suggestions regarding the work in progress. Many offered such suggestions as kicking up the vocals on certains slides, letting certain photos remain on the screen longer, etc., and they have been very helpful. Thanks for your input. After all you are seeing it with a fresh set of eyes. I have been making changes on a daily basis and the little things are what make a huge difference in the production. :armata_PDT_37:

Then you get the other set...I had one person suggest drastic changes; remove ALL the motion from the documentary. No panning, absolutely no effects, etc. It's those kind of suggestions that I have to remember to take with a grain of salt. As hubby says, maybe they should create their own documentary. I must keep in mind that I cannot possibly make everyone happy; that's impossible. :armata_PDT_23:

A fine balance must be kept while working on a project like this. Most of the time it's easy, then there are moments when you think; am I going about this the right way? So I try to keep an open mind to suggestions/criticisms, but I also have to remember that it is MY project and to throw some things right out the window and not to let them get me down and kill the creative process.

Okay, back to work... :clappin:

I have had several dozen people offer comments and suggestions regarding the work in progress. Many offered such suggestions as kicking up the vocals on certains slides, letting certain photos remain on the screen longer, etc., and they have been very helpful. Thanks for your input. After all you are seeing it with a fresh set of eyes. I have been making changes on a daily basis and the little things are what make a huge difference in the production. :armata_PDT_37:

Then you get the other set...I had one person suggest drastic changes; remove ALL the motion from the documentary. No panning, absolutely no effects, etc. It's those kind of suggestions that I have to remember to take with a grain of salt. As hubby says, maybe they should create their own documentary. I must keep in mind that I cannot possibly make everyone happy; that's impossible. :armata_PDT_23:

A fine balance must be kept while working on a project like this. Most of the time it's easy, then there are moments when you think; am I going about this the right way? So I try to keep an open mind to suggestions/criticisms, but I also have to remember that it is MY project and to throw some things right out the window and not to let them get me down and kill the creative process.

Okay, back to work... :clappin:

THE LAST SENTENCE OF YOUR LAST PARAGRAPH ABOVE. **STICK TO IT ***

wHO SAID --damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead!!!!! Don't forget that. Rocky

Hey y'all. My private researcher, Carolyn, emailed me yesterday and let me know that she was able to get some footage on the VI Corps Engineers from NARA in Maryland. She is mailing it to me tomorrow. Can't wait to see it. Have no idea what is on it. A complete surprise! Yippee! :armata_PDT_37::clappin::drinkin::pdt12:

Looks all very promising and I for one am sure you will make this a great project. :armata_PDT_37:

My hat's off to you, Marion.

Erwin

Looks all very promising and I for one am sure you will make this a great project. :armata_PDT_37:

My hat's off to you, Marion.

Garden Party

R Nelson

You are doing a great job.Some Torpedos may be duds.

Jim H 87th Inf.Div.

Much love to you Jim and all my "fans"! :wub: Will be sharing some of my footage in the near future. Lee is going to help me convert all the VHS footage to DVD, but we won't have to convert the NARA footage Carolyn got me for because she sent a mini-DVD to me. Gotta love her. :wub:

Hey Riojas, I saw some Red Bulls in that footage. Looks like a medic was aiding one of his fellow Red Bulls. Can't wait for you to see it. :pdt20:

On a similar note, the Army Corps of Engineers Office of History contacted me again today and Michael and the gang are ready to get started on the interviews. I sent them a list of questions and when they are ready, Gary from the Library of Congress' Veteran's History Project, is going to loan them their top-notch video camera, with the agreement that we will share the interviews with them. A wonderful deal, don't cha think? Can't believe the wonderful and generous people I have met. Everyone is doing so much to assist me with this project. :love:B):pdt34:

A friend of mine who runs the 60th Infantry Div site, sent me a some great video footage from North Africa. I can use it on our site and the documentary as long as I give them credit. No problemo! Danka, danka!

I was also able to learn how to use another form of media for use on our site. As many of you know I was using a Photodex Player to display my documentary on the web. It was GREAT because it had fine, sharp quality, a large viewing area, etc., but they are having one problem; a synchonization problem. At times the video and audio would off-synch, giving the appearance in certain spots that I created a sloppy work-of-art. I wrote to them and they are aware of the problem, but as of today, do not have a fix for it yet. Therefore I decided not to use it until this is rectified.

I needed another format to use, and after spending mega hours "playing" with many of them, decided to use one called DIVX. It was very-reasonably priced, easy to work with and will allow Mac and Windows users to view it. Though not as sharp as the Photodex viewer, it allows me to serve a wider audience and therefore I can update it easily as I make proceed. I apologize for the smaller viewing screen, but in order to keep the file to a decent upload size...

Once again let me extend an invitation to view it online. If you would like to see it, drop me a line and let me know and I will send you the link. Many of you already have the link and the address has not changed.

More later...

HEY RIOJAS!!!!

Wouldn't mind seeing some of those famous RED BULLS.

Just got a newsletter today Pres. of the "Anzio Beachhead Veterans Assoc"

is trying to get a tour organized to go to Italy. Hm, shore thinkin bout it.

I think I qualify. rocky :armata_PDT_19:

Rocky: I will try and make a copy for you. It's not very long, but so cool to see some old and rare footage. I will also post it on the web as soon as I get a chance. Rock on Red Bulls!

I think you should try and go to Italy if you can. It sure would be a beautiful opportunity wouldn't it. :armata_PDT_01:

This is SO cool. I am working on the documentary this afternoon, and as I do so many times, was using Google to find things I needed. I can't believe I found this today, because I have searched before, but obviously didn't search with the right set of words. I found a site called

Cradle of Invasion - Commemorating the US Navy's Amphibious Training Base Solomons, Maryland

This is where OUR engineer's did their amphibious training, and this is the spot I wrote about in my article. I had no idea there was a website dedicated to it and I am just thrilled because I am currently working on this time period in my documentary. I am going to write to them right now and ask permission to use photos, etc., in the project.

Check this out, for many, many units trained here before deploying to the Atlantic and Pacific Theatres.

http://cradleofinvasion.calvertmarinemuseu...m/memorial.html

Blogging...

The last two weeks have been spent researching, scanning, reading, writing, gathering, emailing, arranging...well you get the picture. More behind-the-scenes endeavors, which I've found make up a majority of the time spent creating a documentary. Sometimes the logistics reach an enormous plateau.

Today was great because I actually got back into the production aspect; adding slides, voice overdubs, etc. The creative side. FUN!!!

There was a sad aspect though; adding a photo of my dear friend Al and his wife. A wedding photo taken in 1942. As many of you know, Al passed away in late August and it was a real blow to me. I think I was subconsciously putting off the next few slide additions, knowing I would have to add that photo and... Well it was difficult and I have to admit, I got teary-eyed. I miss him tremendously.

Fourth sunny day here in Michigan and warming up. It's been inspiring. We've been doing more around the house too. So here's to sunshine and inspiration for the creative process. :clappin: