• Announcements

• Walt's Daughter

Upgrade July 26,2017   07/27/17

We had an upgrade to the system this morning and I had to temporarily disable the theme/colors/look-feel of the forum. The forum was acting strangely and was moving along at a snails pace, so had to perform some tests. After I disabled all the customizations, things improved immensely, so... I am hoping to add our colors back, but till then...bear with me. Thanks!
    • Walt's Daughter

Advertisers   08/12/17

If you would like to advertise on my VI Corps site, please let me know. However, all ads must be directly related to WWII. Are you an author? Are you conducting tours? Are you a researcher? Prices are very reasonable, for aren't we here to benefit each other? Looking forward to hearing from you. 

Viewers, please note, there WILL NOT be giant pop-up ads on my site. Nothing infuriates me more than going to someone's site and having to scroll past obnoxious, in your face ads or ones that are stuck in the middle of articles, forcing you to scroll further down the page to see the rest of the paragraphs. They will be tasteful, appropriately places small banners.
Walt's Daughter

Photos of our WWII Veteran Forum Members

:armata_PDT_01::armata_PDT_01:

Tactics Class 101 for those that need it. PAY ATTENTION TROOPS!!!!

I should have told you "Why the "Rhino Tank" was important".

A major problem with our tanks was that they would "ride up" on the

Bocage and expose the lightly armored belly to the Kraut fire as they

were trying to crash through. But rather than crashing through, they

were bouncing off and getting stuck with their guns pointed up to

the sky. Some actually turned Turtle and landed on their backs. Also

once on the road in the Bocage Area the tanks could not traverse their

guns but only fire straight head the roads were so narrow.

Sgt.Curtis G Culin Jr.(a farm boy) finally solved the problem by welding

a set of steel plates to the front of his tank and managed to cut through

the Bocage with his guns blazing. At the end of July, 3 out of every 5 tanks

in the Bocage area of Normandy had been fitted with these "horns" and

given the name "Rhino". Sgt. Culin was awarded the US Legion of Merit

Medal for his invention.

Sgtleo :coffee::coffee:

:armata_PDT_19::machinegun:

Roque:-

Take another close look at my boots. That ain't shoe polish on them!!!

Sgtleo :heartpump::heartpump:

Hell It looks like you're barefoot. or maybe dust. Right Joe!

OH yeah, I do see a speck of ,--mud,I think. Sarge you're AOK in my book !!!!!!!! Roque

O.K. you two (or us 3 ) enough already before the people here think we aint just "funning" each other and are

serious . Now here is a picture of a few of us (I am second from the left) that shows us as "real soldiers". Notice the clean uniforms, caps, even neckties. Even smiling.

Of course its about 2 months after the war in ETO ended and in front of our nice private house billets in Austria and

two months of hot food and no one shooting at us anymore. Real luxury. Beds, hot water, indoor plumbing and

bathtubs. 2 men to a bedroom with clean sheets. Talk about feeling like a civilian again and slowly getting civilized,

We are standing in front of our temporary billets and stayed here for another month after this pic. (drool you 2 guys). Then to Fulda Germany in the Bliedorn Kaserne which was also damn near as nice while waiting to go home.

I know, we were very lucky and it was probably unusual but it is fact. But now, we even looked like soldiers ready

for inspection. what a difference a couple of months make .

guys4.jpg

Nice picture Joe, You guys look sharp. When I came home we were North of Bologna and

it took 2 days to get to Salerno but no one had a camera so the only picture of me in

uniform was after I got home. Nice to be back home,right Joe? Roque

shined like a jewel in a goats' ass.

Wow Rocky.... that 's pretty shiny! :armata_PDT_23:

Los of love guys!!

Brooke

Sarge: Interesting pics of those tanks taking up the hedgerows. Now back to uss'n guys. Last pic I put on should have us ready for your inspection. All but weapons as the "Natives" were friendly after the war being damn glad they were not in the Russian Zone of occupation. Wepons were usually lef back in our BEDROOMS. ( but clean).

Cant figure how and why we were billetted in civilian housing for these months but not ours to wonder why, just enjoy as we did. Maybe you have the answer.

Sarge: Interesting pics of those tanks taking up the hedgerows. Now back to uss'n guys. Last pic I put on should have us ready for your inspection. All but weapons as the "Natives" were friendly after the war being damn glad they were not in the Russian Zone of occupation. Wepons were usually lef back in our BEDROOMS. ( but clean).

Cant figure how and why we were billetted in civilian housing for these months but not ours to wonder why, just enjoy as we did. Maybe you have the answer.

You were a PFC right (That means a Personal Friend of the Commandant). That's where billets came from.

If you are ready to stand Inspection, you better take your hand out of your pocket; have the man on your left put his arms by his side; all of you put your heels together with feet (toes)at a 45 degree angle and better yet Dress Right Dress! You guys look like a bunch of newbies not BTDTs. None of you get a pass this week-end and I want to see the weapons.

If you don't pass "Mess Sgt." has a Range you can ride(remember)!!

When you are ready call me again!!

Sgtleo :armata_PDT_19::armata_PDT_19:

The moderator approves wholeheartedly! Super thread there soldiers. Just what I want to see! :pdt34::pdt34:

The moderator approves wholeheartedly! Super thread there soldiers. Just what I want to see! :pdt34::pdt34:

**************THANK YOU QUEEN M-1*********************pfc rjr

You were a PFC right (That means a Personal Friend of the Commandant). That's where billets came from.

If you are ready to stand Inspection, you better take your hand out of your pocket; have the man on your left put his arms by his side; all of you put your heels together with feet (toes)at a 45 degree angle and better yet Dress Right Dress! You guys look like a bunch of newbies not BTDTs. None of you get a pass this week-end and I want to see the weapons.

If you don't pass "Mess Sgt." has a Range you can ride(remember)!!

When you are ready call me again!!

Sgtleo :armata_PDT_19::armata_PDT_19:

You guys had Billets. What the hell is a Billet. WE had tents. After the fireworks ceased I

wasn't there long enough to see anything, including Rome. Would have loved to have seen it.

Billets, some guys have all the luck. Roque

M1, no wonder we won the War :usa: ! These guys are BONKERS! :nuts:

If I were the Enemy, I'd have just run away :pdt40:

I love it!!! :heartpump:

You guys are GREAT -:clappin: CRAZY :wacko: , but GREAT!! :pdt34:

m2

Sarge: You spent too much time in a foxhole and forgot to "call us to attention". However I'm glad you reminded me of what " standing at attention was" as we forgot a lot of that stuff was and really needed a refresher course. which was neglected. Far as "riding the range", no way, we made use of the "friendly natives" for that and K.P.. Maybe I need to get glasses as I see no hands in pockets and we were not called to attention and no one there to call

" dress right, dress" (if I remember right) . Only times we carried weapons (outside of our concealed captured pistols ) was for a occasional two hour guard duty tour at the company Hdq. and standing Retreat. My main duty

was goiing out with 2 other ex hunters and bringing in some Raebuck and Heirsh (sp. ?) to give the mess Sgt. a

change of menue , which was nice .

Roque: Billet: A place with a roof, door, windows, place to sleep, indoor plumbing, heat, and normal conviences,

not to be confused with 2 shelter halfs or a tent.. Got to admit it took some getting used to. But we were told that this is how people should live when possible. Only time I lived in a tent after wars end in ETO was in Camp Lucky Strike in Le Harve, France for a week while waiting to board the ship home. Our Commanding Gen. "Iron Mike O'daniels" took care of us.

Joe, Sgtleo was refering to me after I came from around the haystack. He thinks it was

summertime. I had on two pairs of sox woolens, sweater I liberated, and a woolen knit cap.

Joe so that's what a billet is,huh--Joe didyou ever take a shower under a 55 gal drum (cold water) ?? Combat engineers rigged one up for us tarp for privacy. Those guys were good.

When the C.O. said --jump! they answered--HOW HIGH SIR !!

SGTLEO THE ONLY TIME WE FORMED WAS WHEN SOMEONE WAS GETTING A MEDAL AND I

CAN'T REMEMBER IF I EVER WORE A TIE IN ITALY!!!!!!! Roque

Sarge: You spent too much time in a foxhole and forgot to "call us to attention". However I'm glad you reminded me of what " standing at attention was" as we forgot a lot of that stuff was and really needed a refresher course. which was neglected. Far as "riding the range", no way, we made use of the "friendly natives" for that and K.P.. Maybe I need to get glasses as I see no hands in pockets and we were not called to attention and no one there to call " dress right, dress" (if I remember right) . Only times we carried weapons (outside of our concealed captured pistols ) was for a occasional two hour guard duty tour at the company Hdq. and standing Retreat. My main duty was goiing out with 2 other ex hunters and bringing in some Raebuck and Heirsh (sp. ?) to give the mess Sgt. a change of menu, which was nice .

Roque: Billet: A place with a roof, door, windows, place to sleep, indoor plumbing, heat, and normal conviences,not to be confused with 2 shelter halfs or a tent.. Got to admit it took some getting used to. But we were told that this is how people should live when possible. Only time I lived in a tent after wars end in ETO was in Camp Lucky Strike in Le Harve, France for a week while waiting to board the ship home. Our Commanding Gen. "Iron Mike O'daniels" took care of us.

J3rd :- LISTEN UP I WON"T SAY THIS AGAIN!! Verstanden!!

When you are ordered to "Fall In" that means AT ATTENTION so NO command is needed!!

God you are also getting forgetful as well as deaf. To these old eyes you right hand appears to be in your pocket - if it is take it out and assume the position. Also you should automatically execute a "Dress Right Dress" to check your interval when you "Fall In". Again, NO command is needed.

I feel for you with your week in a tent at Lucky Strike(Again Geez!!)

Short Story:-

Your reference to the weapons reminds me of the Nitwit Officer at the Arles Staging Area who thought it would be a good idea to sharpen our shooting skills while we waited to go to the PTO so he arranged for us to go to a Firing Range to practice. Even though our Bn Co. was killing himself laughing at this A-H**E he made him call the exercise off before one of the Range Command got killed. I knew he was in big trouble when a guy in my Co. asked the Range Officer(with a straight face) "How do I put this bullet in the weapon when they are packed in clips of 8 - it just takes forever!!.

Roque:-

You should have kept all those extra clothes on and you could have done your laundry at the same time.

Are you 2 sure you were on our side??

Sgtleo - now you've given me a headache so I'll have to go lie down somewhere

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thats what I like, rattle the sarge. Have a little piece and quiet Roque

:armata_PDT_23::armata_PDT_23:

"Thats what I like, rattle the sarge. Have a little piece and quiet"- Roque

Watch it there Amigo or you are next on the Hit List!!!!!!!!!

Sgtleo :machinegun::machinegun:

" J3rd :- LISTEN UP I WON"T SAY THIS AGAIN!! Verstanden!!

When you are ordered to "Fall In" that means AT ATTENTION so NO command is needed!!"

Sarge, you are a tough taskmaster. Relax a bit. Our war was over. Our misdeeds were covered up and all was well. Yeah, it was tough having to rough it for a week in a tent but being hardened we managed to make do with just a damned tent and cots for a week after lliving like civilians for a while. But we put up with the inconvience as we were heading home. But I sure did miss my semi private bedroom, soft bed, and down comforter I had become used to quickly. But, thats life for a Infantry dogface. Take the good and the bad in stride. Personaly, I will take

good whenever possible. Had enough of the bad to last me.

Roque: Yes, had many cold showers when the Quartermasters brought up portable showers, delousing station,

and clean clothes on rare occassions. I hope they burned our old clothes. They sure beat a "whores bath" in a steel pot . (helmet for some)..

Joe be nice.. You don't call it a whores bath, they call it a P T A bath. Yepshoredo--Roque

O.K. guys, listen up as the Sarge said. Maybe we are acting like riff raff and taking up too much computer space and time to sit back and listen, but it was good to just plain bitch and moan for a while and go back a few years

and compare notes in a fun fashion which I enjoyed. Maybe the others think it is time to cease this bit.

O.K. guys, listen up as the Sarge said. Maybe we are acting like riff raff and taking up too much computer space and time to sit back and listen, but it was good to just plain bitch and moan for a while and go back a few years and compare notes in a fun fashion which I enjoyed. Maybe the others think it is time to cease this bit.

Roger That - Joe -Over and Out

Sgtleo :drinkin::drinkin:

Roger That - Joe -Over and Out

Sgtleo :drinkin::drinkin:

*************ROGER, WILCO, OUT**************

At least we raised some eye brows !! 3 very proud dogfaces !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SGTLEO-JRDINF-ROQUE

THE END

Actually gotcha guys just where I wanted you. My only regret? That not any other vets joined in. It's not too late boys... :drinkin::pdt34:

Let's see more photos and your recollections about said photos. This IS your forum. I am just the host! :wub:

Maybe the others think it is time to cease this bit.

Joe, the banter between you, Sgt Leo & Rocky is absolutely priceless. I thoroughly enjoy reading every word you guys write. Unliked rehearsed, edited for tv vet interviews your stories behind the pictures and memories of the moment gives us a great perspective on the everyday life of the men who fought in the MTO/ETO that only comes from the "Proud Dogfaces" themselves.

Thank You for sharing and please keep it going.

Larry

Joe, the banter between you, Sgt Leo & Rocky is absolutely priceless. I thoroughly enjoy reading every word you guys write. Unliked rehearsed, edited for tv vet interviews your stories behind the pictures and memories of the moment gives us a great perspective on the everyday life of the men who fought in the MTO/ETO that only comes from the "Proud Dogfaces" themselves.

Thank You for sharing and please keep it going.

Larry

Anybody from Kalamazoo ?

I GOTTA GAL IN KALAMAZOO,ZOO,ZOO AND DON'T SIT UNDER THE APPLE TREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure brings back memories. We had a tech cpl. had a guitar and when we pulled back off the line he would sit in front of the puptent and sing all them songs, damn I'mgonnacry. Sgtleo,

Joe, Remember???????? Roque

Larry: Glad you enjoyed it as much as we did. The 3 of us have never met in our life but our short military years of wartime service were pretty similar so to speak. To me (and probally Roque and the Sarge) my service was divided

into 3 parts mainly. Basic training, serving as a Infantry rifleman in WW2, and waiting to get back home AND OUT.

Each part had interesing happenings an both good and bad memories. Sure, we gripped and bitched, sometime had

a humour some dont understand. But when a dogface stopped gripping and bitching there was a big problem. I think Bill Mauldins WW 2 cartoon drawings show this quite well also. The "trade" we were taught was simple. Take

and hold ground, to put it nicely.