• Announcements

• Walt's Daughter

New Registrations   09/22/17

Attention New Registrants - Please take a moment to read the section on REGISTRATION. This will inform you regarding the entire process and hopefully answer all your questions. Too often I receive emails either asking why you can't post yet, or I why I haven't approved your membership?  Thank you for your time, M1
    • Walt's Daughter

Research Assistance Donations   11/23/17

Keep this site up and running for current and future generations. If I've been beneficial to your research, please consider making a donation. Every little bit helps to maintain this web and my research costs (i.e. membership fees to Ancestry.com, Fold3 etc.). PayPal Donations
    • Walt's Daughter

The Story of Q Trilogy - Marion J Chard   12/02/17

Completed my tween trilogy! Please share with your family and friends. www.storyofq.com
chambers

Dogfaces Who Smiled Through Tears

I purchased this book because of Roque's and Marion's recommendations. It is a big thick hardcover book at a fair price of around $20, including shipping.

I just love this guy's sense of humor. He throws these little bits of humor here and there.

"No one ever knew whether the French police no longer needed asistance or whether the Platoon was badly needed back at the garrison to reinforce the Battalion in its efforts to put down insurgent insects in their attempts to regain control of the Fort. " pg 137.

Brooke

AH, thanks for reminding me of those great lighter moments. :lol:

I purchased this book because of Roque's and Marion's recommendations. It is a big thick hardcover book at a fair price of around $20, including shipping.

I just love this guy's sense of humor. He throws these little bits of humor here and there.

"No one ever knew whether the French police no longer needed asistance or whether the Platoon was badly needed back at the garrison to reinforce the Battalion in its efforts to put down insurgent insects in their attempts to regain control of the Fort. " pg 137.

Brooke

I am happy you got the book, Maybe you can read some experiences of my

outfit. 135th. ENJOY,I'll talk about you all at the reunion. Ya hear Marion!!!!!!

Rocky

B) My ears will be ringing Rocky Racoon. I know they'll be only good words....

Here's another good one... ;)

"To place more pickles in the pudding, some untrained replacements had never fired a rifle and were without entrenching tools (the infantry man's personal bulldozer) needed to dig foxholes or gun emplacements."

Pickles in the pudding...... yuck!!

This guy must have been quite a character.

Brooke

Brooke

Where did you find the book for 20 bucks?? I looked on Amazon and the cheapest one they offered was $142.00!!!! :wacko:

Jim :woof:

Yep! I almost had a heart attack when I first looked for it. But then Rocky gave me Jerry Gordon's email and I bought it directly from him and it was $23 with shipping. I may still have that email in my inbox. I'll check for it and report back.

Brooke

Yes, you can get the book directly from Jerry Gorden. Just go to the 34th's website and place an order.

http://www.34infdiv.org/

This is his email addy:

jlg34d@msn.com

Here's another good one from page 285.

"The Arabs didn't appear overjoyed to have the Americans for guests, but didn't seem to mind their using the bathhouse. Probably didn't know they had one as most of them didn't appear to have had the recent pleasure of putting water on themselves intentionally."

:lol:

A good one indeed Brooke! I think I'll go take a shower... :lol:

I thought this was especially funny. I used to work for a couple Arab fellows at a hotel so I know where he's coming from....

:huh:

Glad you all liked the book. It makes me happy to know that the campaigns of No. Africa and Italy are now being talked about. Yes the hot sands of No. Africa and the cold,cold, mtns. of Italy. Marion has Ellen Ankrum e-mailed you yet? Y'all keep reading. Rocky

No nothing yet! But, I'm sure she will. Thanks for passing on my info to so many at the reunion. :D

I am having the book special ordered by Border's Books in Yakima for $27.00. Can't wait to read it! BTW Rocky...Please don't feel like the Italy and No. Afrika campaigns are being ignored! For me it has always been a strong interest...that's why I have the item pictured in my collection! ;):pdt34:

:woof: Jim

post-26-1158425297_thumb.jpg

Thanks Jim. Enjoy the book. Roque

I'm sure I will enjoy it! That bookstore emailed me back and said they couldn't get a copy, so I emailed Jerry Gordon, who will send me a copy for $20! :pdt34: Thanks 34th!

Jim :woof:

Attempting to order my copy now! Hopefully Jerry has more copies.

Kyle

Attempting to order my copy now! Hopefully Jerry has more copies.

Kyle

Yea Kyle, he does have some. Makes me very happy to see you all getting

the book. But I believe Marion has the only book with his autograph,

Homer Ankrum, that is. Rocky.

Mr. Ankrum must have been quite a character.

I did peel off the spiffy 34th division sticker that Mr. Gordon had on the package and placed it inside of my book.

The book is very detailed and very interesting. Did you know the Chaplain Hoffman?

Brooke

No I didn't know Chaplain Hoffman, I did hear of him, I think he was at Regt. HQ

and he was busy at the AID stations and Field Hospitals. The only ones I knew

were the guys in my platoon. HQ. Co. 1st Bn. 135th. Roque

Thanks Rocky for answering my question. All the guys he talks about in the book seem like great fellows.

Here's another good line:

Many units would have given up but it appeared the Red Bull men would continue to carry the fight to the enemy until all they had left were cooks and administrrative personnel to throw pots, pans and typewriters at the enemy.

Brooke

Thanks Rocky for answering my question. All the guys he talks about in the book seem like great fellows.

Here's another good line:

Many units would have given up but it appeared the Red Bull men would continue to carry the fight to the enemy until all they had left were cooks and administrrative personnel to throw pots, pans and typewriters at the enemy.

Brooke

BROOKE**********THAT'S A ROGER*** Cooks and anyone that was just standing around suddenly had an M-1 in his hands. 1st Bn. 135th Rocky

Tried several time to reach Mr. Gordon via e-mail with no success. I used the e-mail that Marion listed. Is that correct?

Help!

Kyle

I believe he changed his email address and in fact, the email addy they had for a long time on his site is WRONG. Oh dear! :wacko:

I believe they finally changed it and the new one is: jlg34d@msn.com