Research Assistance Donations Read more... ×
Apologies - Forum was down for several days Read more... ×
Walt's Daughter

My articles & book(s)

Somewhere up in Heaven tonight there is an Engineer beaming with pride, saying

"That's my liitle girl!" -o-

Dogdaddy

:woof:

Awww, you made me cry happy tears. :wub: Thanks.

Marion,

What magazine is your article in? WWII History or World War II and what month is it in? What is the title? We have a hard time getting good magazines overseas.

I dont know anything about publishing but do know I would be upset too if they chopped my work..

:drinkin: Cheers to you though for having the guts to get your work out there and to keep pressing on!!!

Good luck with the next one too.

Kyle

You can find it at most major newstands such as Borders, etc. Let me know if you have any problems attaining one.

Here is their site too. They still have the July/August issue listed, not Septembers yet.

http://www.historynet.com/wwii/

Mine finally showed up in the mail yesterday. :pdt34:

Kyle: WWII Magazine/September 2006 issue!

For those who are unable to obtain a copy, I am providing it here for you. Ain't I sweet? :wub:

Marion_s_WWII_Article001.pdf

Thanks Michael. This made my day. B)

This was sent to me by the head historian at the Army Corps of Engineers Office of History.

Marion--

Great work! The veterans of the 540th are fortunate to have such a good historian. I've printed it out and will add it to our unit history files. Thanks so much.

In much more peaceful times my family and I took a ferry from Civitavecchia to Sardinia.

Mike

This one's for dad and I

post-6-1153854986_thumb.jpg

What a great couple!!!!!!

Marion I will try to pick a copy of that magazine tomorrow. THanks for the info. I really wish I would have had a chance to meet and get to know my uncle. Hopefully I will get to know him through the serviving vets I meet..

Its awesome we have someone to publish these stories for others to read.

THanks Marion.

I've decided on a title for my book. It will be called

NO BRIDGE TOO FAR

I ran it past all the guys at the reunions in September and they said, go for it! I also got a phone call from George Koskimaki of the 101st Airborne tonight and he asked how the book was coming along. I told him the title I was thinking of and he loved it as well. Said it was really catchy. Well after getting a bunch of thumbs up from all my vets and then a prominent author on top of it, I think it's a go.

:pdt34::pdt34::pdt34::pdt34::pdt34:

Yep, it has my vote, too!!

Hey do you think if I snailmail my WWII mag to you that you would sign it for me?

Brooke

Of course sweetie. It would be my absolute pleasure. All others in line BEHIND Brooke. :pdt40: ^_^

My address is on the Main site under the Welcome Menu. I feel honored that you asked. :pdt12:

Getting excited. :nuts: Just spent the last two days corresponding back and forth with Col Mike Morgan of Army Engineer mag. He showed me the layout for the cover and the article. All I can say is spectacular! He did a magnificent job and the photo and map layouts are superb! :pdt34:

While it was great having an article in WWII Magazine, this is a more personal touch because it has photos and captions, a reference to our site and Mike felt it wasn't necessary to edit my text, so it is AS I WROTE IT. :pdt34: So the personal references that I made to the men including my father, still remain. I am very thrilled by that. In fact I'm on cloud nine.

I know the members of the 540th and their family members will just love it. Mike has made it come to life. I swore that I would not allow sneak previews, so all of you will have to wait until it is published. :lol:

Just had to share my excitement and enthusiasm. Mike, if you are reading this, thanks in advance. This is a great honor for me and I delighted that you let me have this wonderful opportunity. :pdt34::pdt34:

:pdt34::pdt34::pdt34:

To Thine Own Self Be True.

Second last line of long quote:-

"This above all: to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man." -- William Shakespeare

The older I get, the more I realize the importance of being honest with myself and the more I notice people who aren't. Thanks for being so D**n Honest with us.

From the 442nd RCT. "Go for Broke" - the Nisei Warriors"

Marion shoot for the moon and you might just hit it!!

Sgtleo

Awww Sarge, such inspiring words. Thanks a million! ;)

Let's just say that I have a great bunch to work with and that includes my husband, my daughter, my friends, my vets, the editors, etc. It is all a group collaboration.

I am happy that I was given the opportunity to do this. I sometimes say that part of it was divine intervention, well that and the indomitable spirit that my father passed on to me. :wub:

Where do I sign up for my autographed copy? It will be really special to own a copy of your first book Marion! :pdt34:

Dogdaddy Jim :woof:

Brooke:

Received your package this morning. Have already signed your copy of my magazine article and will be placing it back in the mail today. It was a real thrill for me to do so and I am very honored that you asked. -_-

Well today is the day. Received a big package from Fort Leonard Wood and in it were copies of my magazine from Army Engineer Magazine. It turned out just spectacular. I am very pleased. When I get a chance later today, I will scan the cover (it's dedicated to the 540th) and the article and place it on the site for all to read.

I am planning on giving copies to the vets of the 540th for Christmas gifts. I hope this touches their hearts. :wub::wub:

Thanks to Michael, the editor extraordinaire, for an outstanding job. I can't thank you enough! :pdt34::pdt34:

[

I am planning on giving copies to the vets of the 540th for Christmas gifts. I hope this touches their hearts. :wub::wub:

I am certain they will appreciate it even more... having come from one of their own, by way of Walt....Good Job Marion! :pdt34:

Dogdaddy :woof: Jim

Here's the article in two parts. Thought it would be easier to download/open this way. I scanned it at high res (sorry), so it will take a while to download and open. Please be patient.

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/doc...eerArticle1.pdf

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/doc...eerArticle2.pdf

I gotta share this with you guys. I still can't believe it. Well actually I can. :banghead:

As you know, I not only shared my first publication with you, many of my long time friends here in Michigan. Anyway, we attended a summer party shortly after it was released, and we brought a few copies with us.

So a few weeks later two dear friends came to visit us and were talking about the article. They said they really loved it and were very proud of me. Thanks I said. My girlfriend then said, I have to tell you this. She proceeded to tell me that one of our mutual friends said to her, "Do you really think SHE wrote that?" I guess my friend looked at him in disbelief! :o WHAT? He then repeated, "Do you really think SHE WROTE THAT?" Of course she did, she replied exasperated, and berated him for even asking. :unsure:

She said she hesitated to tell me this, but I told her, I'm glad you did, for whoever said it isn't much of a friend and it doesn't say a whole hell of a lot about HIM, now does it? This kind of behavior in people just makes me shake my head. :(

Had to get that one off my chest. Who needs friends like that? :wacko::wacko:

I am certain they will appreciate it even more... having come from one of their own, by way of Walt....Good Job Marion! 

Dogdaddy  Jim

Thanks sweetie. I was very excited when I opened the package. Then my brother-in-law and his wife dropped by and requested a copy. They are going to read it tonight in front of the fireplace. Ah, how romantic. Reading war articles.... :lol::lol: Maybe a fine Merlot with that? :pdt12::pdt12:

Thanks Chris. I thought it was just beautiful and once again must give a lot of the credit to Michael. We made a good team. :drinkin:

Can't wait till the guys get to see it. I hope to get their copies out to them within the next week.

A heads-up for you; I would like to write a similar article for the 36th. :pdt34:

The article also gave me great inspiration for the layout of my book. I want to make it very easy on the eye and full of visuals.

I wasnt able to read the sidebar on the pdf version.

So if I understand you right ,the layout would be similar to a coffee table book with alot of pics? Or do you have something else in mind?

chris