New Registrations Read more... ×
Research Assistance Donations Read more... ×
Apologies - Forum was down for several days Read more... ×
Walt's Daughter

My articles & book(s)

Is there anywhere here that you have a chronological list of your dad's movements after landing at Gela?

This may not be of interest, but it is a very useful tool for studying the detail history of a unit. There is a guy on eBay that is selling WW2 maps of Sicily. These are the small scale (1:25,000) maps used by commanders in the field to identify the location of friend and foe. The map coordinates used in their Op Reports and After Action Reports are based on maps like these.

He has 5 or so maps of Sicily, including one entitled "Gela". Others are the southern coastal area of Sicily, where the American assault came ashore. Previously he sold some of the NorthWest edge of Sicily, which is close to where Patton made his end run to beat Monty into Messina.

Check it out. The bid is at $5 each and no one has bid on them.

Steve

An example of a simliar map from my collection. This map is 1:50,000 scale and not as colorful as the one currently on eBay. The grid coordinates are shown in the margins. Black dotted lines were added at last printing to denote trails.

MapLoiano2x.jpg

Cool Steve. Will have to wait and see what I get this week. Even though it's only $5.00, I still owe Carolyn $350.00, so I think I'll work on paying her first! :lol: Appreciate the links though. Keep 'em coming.

Hey gang, boy did this make my day. :pdt34:

I sent an email to Colonel Mike Morgan of Army Engineer Magazine and asked if they would be interested in the article I wrote a couple of months ago regarding my dad's unit the 540th. Here is his response. I am so thrilled!!! :D

Oh here is their web:

http://www.armyengineer.com/AEA_Magazine.htm

-----------------

Definitely like to publish your original article. I have room for it in the May-June issue as a matter of fact. You could send me just an unformatted text file, and attach separately any images or illustrations you may want to include. If you don't have any images, I can probably find some "generic" ones online that fit the subjects (Center of Military History for example has many high resolution WWII images and illustrations). And, I probably can find a map or two online as well. I'll need to have the materials assembled by mid-April to meet my deadlines.

Thanks for the offer, Mike

Mike Morgan

Colonel, USA (Ret)

Editor, Army Engineer Magazine

148 Romana Drive

Ridgeway, VA 24148

Edited by Walt's Daughter

Marion, that's great! I'll have to get one.

Will you autograph it for me??

Brooke

You got it sweetheart. You're first in line! B)

I am very excited. I had sent my article to WWII Mag, but haven't heard anything yet. I know they have a two year waiting list for many of their columns, so I was surprised when Col Mike wrote back and said May-June issue! Yee-haw!

Wow, let's have an autograph party! That's just an excuse to get us all together. Thanks sis! :drinkin:

I just got a 1 year subscription to the magazine. Should prove interesting.

:drinkin:Congrats. Marion; now we can all have a beer. AL

More reason to celebrate guys and gals. Just found out this morning that

I will be published in WWII Magazine in Sept of this year. Man, oh man. This is just fantastic! I am as high as a kite this morning. Now I'm up there with the big boys!

Thank you Chris Anderson for publishing my article. It means a lot to me and MY VETS! :pdt34::wub:

https://store.primediamags.com/subscribe/worldwar2/160

Edited by Walt's Daughter

I better call Chris Anderson and have him take a second look at this Idea ! There will be no living with Marion Now!

Congrats and best wishes! "The journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step." You are on your way now and it won't be long befor ethat book will be on the nigtstands of all of us!

hang Toug and way to go Marion!

Sincerely

Jiggersfromsphilly

Great news Marion! Unfortuneatly my subscription ran out and I unintentionally signed up for a different magazine. I will try and buy just that one issue if I can.

Brooke

Marion

Move ove Heminway,here comes a steamroller. I'll be

Looking for this book locally.

Good Luck-No finer person

than you-Congratulations

Jim Hennessey

87th-Inf.Div.

I better call Chris Anderson and have him take a second look at this Idea ! There will be no living with Marion Now!

Whoa Jiggs! Gee, you may be right. Okay, stand in line and maybe I'll talk to ya. :lol::lol: Ya, tell Chris he's created a monster. Shouldn't let crazy Sicilian/Polish women into the magazine. May be hazardous to everyone's health. :lol::lol:

Al, Jim, Brooke and Cindy - Thanks y'all (Brooke notice the southern verbiage) :lol: It makes me feel good to be surrounded by such well-respected well-wishers. Love you guys. You brighten my days! :wub:

Yup, we'll have to sit a spell do a bit of gossipin', I mean exchangin' "ideers". :lol::drinkin: We'll sit on front porch with the :woof::woof: and idlyly watch the world drift by... Don't "forgit" the moonshine. On second thought; don't you dare bring that! :lol:

:drinkin: a little 'shine is good for the blood flow!

Hey, maybe Chuck could take us for a ride on the tricycle!!

Brooke

I may have screwed up big time here. Ah a beginers writer's lesson...

I got the contract from WWII Mag today and after reading it, I sent an email to Mike at Army Engineer Mag. This is what I wrote. Sigh! :o

---------

Mike:

I think I may have a problem here, but I hope not!!!!

WWII Magazine wants to publish my article too, but today they sent me a contract and it states:

"...and that story has not been previously published in any form."

I did not realize that this would be a problem. Any suggestions? I hope you can advise me. They were going to print my article in September 2006.

Sincerely,

Marion J Chard

Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek

540th Combat Engineer

www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com

Just spoke with Mike Morgan. We are going to defer the publication until fall, since that won't interfere with my contract to WWII Mag. Thank God I caught it in time. My guardian angel once again shines down upon my meager soul. Thank you -o-

Thank you Mike! Ahhhh.....

Sorry, couldn't contain my excitement today. Got the latest issue of WWII Mag and realized that my article will be in next month's release. Can't wait. Now it's starting to feel like reality! :bluejumper:

Congratulations are in order! I subscribe to World War II magazine also, so I will be looki ng forward to next month too! :pdt34:

:woof: Jim

Danka! It's nice to have fans!! :lol: