j3rdinf

C & K rations

Cant help but wonder how many other WW 2 vets recieved a short note enclosed in a

C ration package or a K ration package from one of the packagers. I still wonder just how they got it enclosed. They were almost like a letter from home. Didnt get many but got a few in ETO in WW 2. Always thanking us. Allways wish I kept one or two as

keepsakes. Even these short notes meant a lot till letters from home came. It was really nice of them to do that.

Edited by Walt's Daughter

I would love to see one of those two. Hey if anyone out there has an original, can you copy it and place it on the site? Will have to do some searching. That is a pretty neat thing. Must have been a real surprise the first time you saw one. :)

I read an article in a magazine a few months ago and a lady had wrote in that worked in a factory, I don't remember what they were packaging but said that her and many of the women working there would write notes like that and put them into the boxes.

Brooke

Hope you stumble upon it again Brooke.

I'm sure I still have it, I believe it was in a Reminisce or Reminisce Extra magazine. I haven't thrown any of them away this year. If I find it again, I'll scan and post it.

Brooke

Excellent!

I found the article, I had to email the company and ask them and they replied today and told me where to find it. It isn't quite how I remember, but here it is:

Click on the box in the lower right corner that expands the photo.

post-11-1137719064_thumb.jpg

I would love to see one of those two. Hey if anyone out there has an original, can you copy it and place it on the site? Will have to do some searching. That is a pretty neat thing. Must have been a real surprise the first time you saw one. :)

:coffee: j3rdinf; We didn't get many k's only till late '44. We had nothing but C rations.

Up in the mts. we melted snow for coffee my buddy carried the coleman

stove and we carried an extra canteen that had GAS. Of course it was marked.

Our supplies came up by mule train. Ammo,grenades,rations, T/PPR. And no

I never heard of someone getting a note in the K'sbox. Just the pack of cigs.

5 chesterfields. Joe, just got a call this pm. Gotta go to a hall (A>G>I>F)

to get interviewed by some state rep! Why me? Ketch me later. Roque

I found the article, I had to email the company and ask them and they replied today and told me where to find it. It isn't quite how I remember, but here it is:

Click on the box in the lower right corner that expands the photo.

What a great story. Love it, love it. I am so glad that you found that and were even able to give us photos. B)

Man, I've missed a lot of posts since my mom passed on. I am trying to catch up with all the fantastic things you guys have been posting in the last week and half.

Looking forward to more on rations and notes...

Roque old friend: Far as I reolect on K rations. Breakfast: Coffe packet, sugar, fruit bar, crackers, cigarettes (6?) some kind of meat, possibly with chopped eggs. Lunch:

can of cheese, crackers, candy or gum, cigarettes, lemon powder (ugh) matches in each ration,.. Supper can of meat, crackers, cigarettes, bullion powder, choclate bar?.

Its best I can remember. One of them had toilet tissue in it, forget which. Maybe you can add to it from memory. Hope I answered your question. One of them, either the K or C rations or maybe both also had water purifying tabs in it. Been over 60 years ago.

Seems to me, the earlier C ration breakfast had a decent tin of powdered coffee in it with sugar packets which would really open ones eyes if you could heat it in a canteen cup.

As Per 371-Rec on and J3rdinf, I'll add my 2 cents about the C.I.B.

The 34th. entered combat Nov. 1942 at Algiers No. Africa, then Salerno,

Italy Sept.1943 to May 1945. Over 600 days of combat. I don't remember

when the Lt. came by our pup tents after the Benevento battle. And he said

put it on. I looked at it and thought what a pretty looking pin!!

Then he said clean up there is a presentation of awards soon. I looked at my

clothes, wearing woolens,,so I just got off as much of the mud as I could

got water and cleaned my combat boots. and that afternoon, the 1st Bn. 135th

stood at attention and several of us were awarded medals by our Commanding

General, Charles Bolte. He pinned the Bronze Star on me next to my C.I.B.

Needless to say my most prized medal IS THE C I B. Because it represents

ALL I went thru in WWII. The B/S was a one time thing.

So 371Recon and j3rdinf this old dogface salutes you both. Roque

Rocky and all. When I showed all my dad's medals, etc. that I had stashed away in my possessions, my husband saw the CIB and said, "You know, most of the guys hold that as their most prized award." From all the vets I've talked to, I would have to say he was right!

K rations

post-11-1139684861_thumb.jpg

James Hennessey, my esteemed buddy, sent me this great link regarding WWII rations tonight. Enjoy! Are ya hungry? Yum! :pdt12:

http://33rdscb.tripod.com/id56.htm

Rations have come a long way since then. The MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat) we have today really feed the soldier. There are so many different choices. They even cater to the vegitarian!! Can you believe it? Roque, Joe you dont have to hydrate anything anymore!!

Parnell-H: A reserve G.I. on another forum sent me a few packages of the MRE's

about a year ago. While a little improvement on the WW 2 field rations I bet they too

would get boring. That little bottle of hot sause in them was the best part.

So how is the hunting in Germany (or is there any for troops now)? Was great when I

was in Fulda while waiting to go home at wars end. Granted those raebucks aint very

big though, though tasty.

This morning there was an auction on ebay for 3 boxes of the Original type, unopened going for over $1000! Now, from what I've heard the vets here say about them, they weren't worth much when they were FRESH... :lol:

:woof::drinkin:

:woof: Daddy :pdt12::pdt12::pdt12: Good one!

Your right Joe,

After a few months of just eating MREs they do get a little old. But compared to what you had to eat they got a long way. Its amazing what that little bottle of hot sauce will do for food in a pouch.

THe hunting is good here Joe if you can afford to hunt!! The Germans passed a law a few years back that stops us (GIs) from bringing guns into the country. Now we need some special German hunting class then we would have to buy a German gun and they are very expensive.

Then im being told that if I was to shoot a deer or hog that I would then have to pay the farmer for the privlidge of shooting his deer.

I bet tis a far cry from when you were here. I live in a small town and I see deer all the time. Must have saw 40 last night coming home from work.

I actually havent hunted since 99. Thats when I started my overseas tours. Went to Korea first then to England now in Germany. I am ready to go back to the states and find a retirement job.

Kyle