Jump to content


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


theron last won the day on February 22

theron had the most liked content!

About theron

  • Rank

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. theron

    Robert Lanman 149th Engr Co C.

    No information YEY on the 149th. BUT,,,if you discover ANYTHNG at all about the 978th Engineer Maintenance Company, please let me know. Wrote my Ph.D thesis about that Company. Quartered in Speckholzerheide and Kerkgrade, Holland November 1944 to 30 November 1944 when the Company moved to Mariagrube Coal Mine (near Mariadorf) Germany.
  2. theron

    505 coast artillery

    Great posts. Thank you for these.
  3. theron

    505 coast artillery

    The insignia would depend upon the 505th's assignment. IF it has attached to Army or Corps or to another level of authority. Some AAA units had a rondel with AA inside it. The AAA units surrounding Antwerp had their own. I would start with the HQ to which the 505th reported.. Do you have any photos of indiviudals in the 505th? Can you see what they were wearing? The 978th Engineers, wore the shoulder insignia of the Ninth Army even though they had been assigned (kind of loaned out) to the XIXthe Corps (which had its own insignia)
  4. theron

    #1484 Engineer Maint Co

    Check out this link; it is to a page in the multi-volume report of the US Army Engineers in the SW Pacific. If not in any large library near you, These volumes can be borrowed via interlibrary loan and the US Army Military History Research Center.(old name). More when I have time. https://books.google.com/books?id=qIDgFaEiDokC&pg=PA182&lpg=PA182&dq=1484th+Engineer+Maintenance+Company&source=bl&ots=QR-KodFGBW&sig=hI_B6CbRQ6Clb272ToWuzCtefP8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjf38qAqPbZAhVh2oMKHfrGDsQQ6AEIMjAB#v=onepage&q=1484th Engineer Maintenance Company&f=false ps. I wrote my Ph.D thesis on the 978th Engineer Maintenance Company that served in the ETO. I THINK I may have some material related to these companies. I do know the first was the 56th Engineer Shop Company which in turn split with part of it (475th) ending up in Iceland. It provided the cadre for the 978th...which in turn provided cadre for the 1478th AND the 1487th Engr Maintenance Companies. The Table of Organization and Equipment (TO&E 5-157) identified a hq, contact and two maintenance platoons. How the companies were used proves more complicated. Some were in the combat zones, some in communication zone etc. The 978th for example was attached to the XIXth Corps in the ETO, and the Corps engineer officer wanted it as close to the front lines as possible. Others in other organizations were kept back...... theron
  5. theron

    Dog Tags

    Hi Rick.. You might contact any local or regional (including county) museums in the area where your uncle lived. Such places often display (or save) military items from local citizens. Sometimes local fair grounds also have small displays. Sometimes, local libraries have small displays as well. I have quite a bit of material and documents covering my dad's outfit and my uncle's.....and I face the same issue. I also have a few original WWII unit histories. I plan to send them to the U.S. Army Historical Center at Carlisle Barracks, PA. They maintain a large library, and if they have multiple copies, they also loan the books through inter-library loan. I took advantage of that when I researched my Ph.D thesis. Unfortunately, local libraries often sell such gifts given the usual space issues such libraries face. theron
  6. theron

    505 coast artillery

    Rick: I can help you more once you have a ship name, but getting that name will be difficult. The National Archives destroyed the pertinent shipping records quite a while ago. I Perhaps the best start would be to request the UNIT RECORD CARD for the 505th from the National Archives. That record will have a great deal of information about movements...and may include the shipment number or the name of the ship. One way would be to request a list of unit records from NARA regarding the 505th. This is a different records group than the Unit Card. Those records MIGHT include a history written by the unit for the War Department, a requirement. That history might include either the ship name or the shipment number. There is also a web site focusing upon troop movements and lists unit, ship name and dates. I suspect if you google troop movements you will find it. I'm attaching a worksheet/article I wrote on how to research ships in US records. It dawns on me that you might want to look into the UK's records since the 505th may have been aboard a British ship if they sailed from England. Their National Archives at Kew is on-line, and sometimes the records are downloadable...for a small fee. researching_WW2_us_merchant_seamen.rtf
  7. theron

    505 coast artillery

    I think the numbers after job titles are the MOS (military occupation specialty) numbers. Honestly, each individual was reduced to his MOS and was assigned just like parts in a supply chain. Not sure about the self-propelled 90mm; Try googling it...or try the Fort Sill web site and history. Sill was a major AAA training camp during the war. My Father did basic there before being shipped to an CA battery overlooking Seattle. theron
  8. theron

    121st NCB 3rd Batt 20th Marines

    Try ebay; I notice that someone has a long list of SeaBee unit histories for sale.
  9. Hi... You might want to contact the V.A. and ask for your father's VA file. This MAY be distinct from the files in St. Louis. In my reading of files, I found basic information, including the trail from assignment to assignment. In my father's, I actually found the evacuation tag that had been attached to his clothes when he got sick. The bronze star, if it was part of the APS medal would indicated he participated in one landing. If he was awarded a Bronze Star Medal, know that it was a dual purpose medal: for combat or for service. You can contact the National Archives on line and inquire into the records of the two Engineer outfits you mention. Sometimes you can find rosters. Finally, check the US Army's WWII history series, the so-called Green books. These are now on-line too. You can check the volume on the Engineers in the Pacific as well as the campaign history for the area. They might give you the background information you need to ask more specific questions. Here is what I found on the task force you note. Down near the end of this list you will see the engineer regiments mentioned as having stayed in Australia. ************************************************************ FROM: TASK FORCE 6814, US ARMY IN AUSTRALIA DURING WW2 Task Force 6814 was hastily thrown together by the US Army straight after the Japanese had attacked Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941. It was brought together with personnel from right across the United States, with limited equipment and lots of new faces in unfamiliar roles. Task Force 6814 comprised:- Hq & Hq Det, Task Force (including attached Division Surgeons's office) Hq & Hq Co, 51 Infantry Brigade 132nd Infantry Regiment (Illinois National Guard) 182 Infantry Regiment 754 Tank Battalion 180 Field Artillery Regiment (155mm), less 2 Bn 2 Bn, 123 Field Artillery Regiment (155mm) 70 Coast Artillery Regiment (AA, Mobile), less Band 3 Bn, 244 Coast Artillery Regiment (155mm) 3 Plat, Btry G, 244 Coast Artillery Regiment (155mm) 101 Quartermaster Rgt, less 2 Bn, section Car Plat, section Motorcycle Plat and Maint. Plat Co A, 82 Quartermaster Battalion (LM) 2 Plat, Co B, 89 Quartermaster Regiment 2 and 3 Plats, Co A, 96 Quartermaster Bakery Battalion 1 Bn, 108 Quartermaster Regiment 216 Quartermaster Company (Mobile Shoe and Textile Repair), less plat 705 Quartermaster Truck Company 1 Bn, 101 Engineer Regiment 810 Aviation Engineer Battalion (Negro) 811 Aviation Engineer Battalion (Negro) 22 Ordnance Medium Maintenance Company 51 Ordnance Ammunition Company 73 Ordnance Depot Company (two storehouse sections) 676 Ordnance Company (platoon) 9 Station Hospital 52 Evacuation Hospital 109 Station Hospital 101 Medical Regiment (less one collecting co, one ambulance co, and Division Surgeon's office) 67 Pursuit Squadron 58 Interceptor Control Squadron (section) 3 Quartermaster Aviation Supply Company (detachment) Army Airways Communications System detachment 26 Signal Company 121 Signal Radar Intelligence Company 175 Signal Repair Company (radio and wire repair sections) 162 Signal Photo Company (unit) 65 Materiel Squadron (including attached medical personnel) 26 Military Police Company (platoon) 502 Army Postal Unit Finance Detachment 2 Chemical Decontamination Company (detachment) 43 Engineer General Service Regiment, less Band 46 Engineer General Service Regiment, less Band 694 Signal company (Hq & Hq Det) Weather Detachment 13 Reconnaissance Squadron 4 General Hospital Task Force 6814 travelled to Australia in a large convoy. Many of these ships were luxury liners that were hurriedly converted to a troop ship. The convoy comprised:- SS Argentina SS Barry SS Cristobel SS Erickson SS McAndrew SS Santa Elena SS Santa Rosa SS Island Mail The convoy left New York Harbour on 23 January 1942. It was escorted by a number of destroyers and aerial escorts including the occasional blimp. During their voyage south to Panama there was a submarine scare. A number of depth charges were dropped on a suspected enemy submarine. The Task Force produced its own newspapers, one of which was known as "Twin-Ocean Gazette". As many as 2,500 copies of this newspaper were printed daily when conditions permitted. Colonel Edmund B. Sebree was appointed as the Chief of Staff of Task Force 6814 and flew into Panama to join the convoy. Col. Sebree's staff comprised:- Training was carried out during transit to their still unknown destination. Some of the training included jungle tactics, tropical diseases and gunnery. The Convoy arrived in Melbourne in Victoria, Australia on 27 February 1942. The troops were unloaded and dispersed to five major areas:- Ballarat Bendigo Camp Darley Camp Pell in Royal Park Melbourne, possibly in Camp Murphy in the Melbourne Cricket Grounds Many of the troops were billeted in private households resulting in many long lasting friendships with Australian families. The troops were later overwhelmed with mail from Australian families after they had landed at Guadalcanal. It was soon time to reload the ships to move to New Caledonia. The artillery units which had arrived in Australia without any guns acquired some British 18-pounders and 25-pounders which were loaded on to their ships. Two "Aussie" officers and a small experienced crew of NCO's travelled with the Task Force to New Caledonia to provide training on the new guns. The following are the only units that remained in Australia after debarkation of the other units at Melbourne:- A Task Force advance party flew out of Melbourne for New Caledonia on 6 March 1942. The convoy departed Melbourne on the same day headed for Noumea. They arrived in Noumea on 12 March 1942, minus the SS Erickson which arrived on 18 March 1942 after experiencing power problems on the first day out of Melbourne. Task Force 6814 was reassigned as the Americal Division effective 27 May 1942. Americal is a combination of the words American and Caledonia. It was the only division in the American Army without a number at that time. The 182nd Infantry Regiment of the Americal Division landed on Guadalcanal on 12 November 1942. The 164th Infantry Regiment (North Dako
  10. Do you have more information regarding this man.? Lt. jg means he was in either the Navy or Coast Guard...do you have time-frame, name of ship or even a geographical area?
  11. Looking for the unit that left NYC on 12/31/1942 and landed at Abadan in February 1943. Shipped on board the S.S. SANTA MARGARITA. May have been engineers or Transportation Corps Port BN's.
  12. theron

    2756th combat engineer battalion

    It may be that your best bet lies with the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). You can contact them via their web site...though they are usually slow to get back to you because of the volume of traffic they get. You should ask for the unit records. Sometimes, there is a outline history of the unit, and there SHOULD be After Action Reports at the least, month by month. There also may be S-3 message logs that were kept that list and record incoming and outgoing messages. Once in awhile, the file as well. Ask what they have and request an order form. They charge for the copying. Depending upon how specific you want to get, the National Records Center in St. Louis MAY also contain the morning reports that track the status of individuals by Company within the BN. They will not research or make copies for you, though. You would either have to go yourself or hire a researcher to do the work.
  13. Hi. First, the 291st, if I remember correctly, was a 'Corps Engineer outfit. Keep in mind that there were echelons (levels)in the Military. Each Army was made up of Corps AND support units like quartermaster, engineer, anti-aircraft, Ordnance and artillery units. Each Corps controlled infantry and armored divisions AND support units just as in the Army. Each division included a similar mix of support units as well as three infantry regiments..... An Engineer BN was attached to and considered part of each infantry division; Engineer (combat) groups were part of the Corps support units. So each echelon had engineer BN's. The 291st was part of the 1111th Engineer Combat Group, attached to VI Corps. The 1111th Engineer (C) GROUP controlled several engineer BN.s and sometimes a maintenance company, bridge, truck and light equipment companies. So, there could be cases that an engineer BN from a Corps Engineer GROUP might be assigned directly to a Division for some temporary time period. TO ILLUSTRATE: my Dad's outfit, the 978th Engineer Maintenance Company was a Ninth US Army unit, attached to the 1104th Engineer Combat Group that was part of the XIXth Corps on the Ninth Army (at that time). As part of the Group, it provided direct support to several infantry Divisions as well as many other support units. During its service the XIXth Corps included several different Infantry and Armored Divisions. Keep in mind, too, that the person you are looking for many NOT have actually been in the 75th...but was reassigned there for a short period. A number of Divisions were sent home directly from Europe to be reorganized to be sent to the Pacific...but the war ended before any of them were actually shipped. Unfortunately, the 75th Infantry Division unofficial history is mostly a photographic history does not provide a list of units attached to it during the war. The history DOES say that the 75th entered combat in December 1944. I would look up the two books on the 291st Engineer Combat BN: -----First Across the Rhine: The 291st Engineer Combat Battalion in France, Belgium, and Germany by Col. David E. Pergrin and Eric Hammel (This is written by the commander of the 291st and covers its entire history) -----THE DAMNED ENGINEERS by Janice Holt Giles. This book was written by the wife of a 291st member and cover the time during The Battle of the Bulge. She mentioned many members by name and what each Company of the BN did at the time. These books should give you a lot of information. Hope this helps. Theron Add to List
  14. In fact, this happened a lot. 'high point' men were often transferred out of their original units to a unit on the way back to the States in order to be sent home. A number of high point men in the unit I studied had this happen. At discharge, the men were asked specific information that found its way onto discharge papers, including unit designation. So, it seems that some of the men I studied used the most recent unit while most of the men used the unit in which they served the most time. For my father, he used the 978th because he was sent home directly from that unit.
  15. theron

    105th Engineers veterans

    Hello I have studied the 30th Division quite a bit, especially its activities during the November 1944 Offensive in and around Mariadorf and the coal mine area Mariagrube. In fact, I am still seeking first hand accounts of the attack. Unfortunately, I have just checked my file on the 105th and find that the most recent correspondence is dated 1983 and one exchange in 1993. From my own experience (my Dad was a member of the 978th Engineer Maintenance Company attached to the XIXth Corps at that time and has passed away) most of these men are most likely deceased. Have you tried the 30th Infantry Division Association on-line? Be careful that it is the 'real' site; there IS a site for reenactors. I wish I could be of more help. But if you would like to share information, let me know at: tpsnell@gmail.com