US Army Divisions Print - History Shots

Custermen;;  YOU ARE READING THE WRONG BOOK

I've heard of "Dogfaces Who Smiled Through Tears" but I don't know anything about the book. I'm looking for a good unit history of the 34th Division. Is this a good resource book OR is it one soldier's journal. The title seems to imply the latter.

As an example, I have "The Rock of Anzio" on the 45th Division. It is a good attempt at a unit history but it is not that detailed as I would like it. I don't have a good reference book on that division either, except for the History of the 157 Infantry Regiment.

I may have to get a copy through a Library Loan and check it out.

Steve

No this is an official history regarding the entire unit. I have been extolling this book for two years on this site and it's FEATURED on my BOOKS PAGE.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Custermen: You will NOT find a book more authentic than this book,

Why, the author was in it from start to finish. His are not stories they

are experiences and FACTS. And yes, WE had tears when we

saw our comrades down and smiled because we were still there. Roque

ORDER THE BOOK "

dogfaces who smiled through tears", by e-mail to the-----------

34th Divn. Assoc. Natl. Secretary,Treaserer----------------------

JERRY L. GORDEN--jlg34d@msn.com phone 515-276-5677.

Our reunion isn't till First week in Sept. That's when I will see him

or he will watch me preside at the reunion.

Thank you Roque, I have just sent him an email.

Brooke

Yes, I got my book from Jerry Gorden. In fact, Jerry was one of my first contacts two years ago when I began my search. My dad has the Red Bull patch and I had written to Jerry for help. He sent me several articles and the book. I will be forever indebted and grateful. :pdt34:

Rocky, I will place this order info on my Book Page. Should have done that long ago, but with so many things to do... Damn, I ain't perfect. Sigh! :lol:

Marion J Chard

YES MARION THE BOOK WILL ANSWER A LOT OF QUESTIONS.

AND I SAY--YOU MIGHT NOT BE PERFECT BUT YOUR PERSONALITY,

HUMOR,THOUGHTFULLNESS, AND ATTITUDE MAKES YOU PERFECT PLUS

10. Joe j3rdinf. You better back me up. Rocky

Recieved my print from History Shots this afternoon. It is very nice. Haven't had time to look at it in detail because I'm still working. Will give you more later...

Marion J Chard

Marion: I find this statement of yours strange. "more combat days than any division in the Theatre. The 34th Division suffered 3,337 killed in action, 14,165 wounded in action, and 3,460 missing in action, for a total of 21,362 battle casualties. Casualties of the Division are considered to be the highest of any Division in the theatre when daily per capita fighting strengths are considered..." How does one arive at this figure? The 3rd

Infantry Div had 531 days of combat and had 27,977 battle casualties. Order of Battle

book and my "History of the 3rd Inf. Div in WW 2" book edited by Donald Taggard and Published by the Infantry Journal Press in 1946 closely agree, along with the figures you

published.

Everyone, I received the book, "Dogfaces Who Smiled Through Tears" today. All brand new and still in the shrink wrap. It's a big one, and hardback, too!!

:pdt34:

Brooke

You will love it Brooke. Many a good story and it will tug your heart strings along the way. It's a book that doesn't make war look very glamorous. It wasn't!

Marion J Chard