WW2 A-2 leather flight jacket

Dont quite know if this is the correct spot for this post BUT--- Need some input on where to donate a very good condition A-2 WW2 leather flight jacket. It was given to me years ago with some other things from a lifelong friend who served as a Air Force gunner on a B-24 in the 15th Air Force prior to his death. I know the damn things are worth big bucks but cant feel right in just selling it. I want it to go to some organization that would put it to good historical use. Any ideas??? Pics enclosed,. He served in Italy

as a Sgt. (B-25 gunner) and also was in on the bombing of the Ploesti Oil refineries. He

returned safely at wars end and was one of my best friends from school days tio the time he passed on.

post-11-1145549116_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   jacketa.jpg (Size: 33.88 KB / Downloads: 0)

Here is the jacket label closeup pic. Seems like I am getting tired of having to apply

mink oil treatment yearly to it and being a size, 36 it just dont fit me.

post-11-1145552672_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   jacketabel.jpg (Size: 52.39 KB / Downloads: 0)

That's a great jacket. :wub:

Do you have a veteran's museum close by?

How about a state historical preservation society? You could contact them and see if they could refer some place?

Brooke

That is a great jacket. Love it, love it. :wub:

I will see what I can come up with. Let me see who I can contact for you. Will keep you posted on the results.

My husband has his dad's leather flight jacket. We treasure it. I also have his "summer" jacket. A couple of years before he passed away, he came outside while a bunch of us were partying at this house. He said, Marion, I think you would like to have this. I tried it on. He about flipped. It fit me to a tee. Oh my God he said, I can't believe that used to fit ME.

I shall place a photo of it here some day soon.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

May I make a suggestion? Why not sell it and donate the money to a Veteran's organization? Like you said..it's worth a mint, and that mint would buy some good works.

BTW...it's a great looking jacket! :pdt34:

Jim :woof:

I would contact the DDAY MUSEUM in New Orleans. They are always looking for artifacts from WWII. Here is their contact info Joe:

Donate an Artifact

Contact Jeremy Collinsi

Telephone: 504-527-6012 EXT 331

Email: jeremy.collins@ddaymuseum.org

Here is their main page:

http://www.ddaymuseum.org/

Here is the page regarding the donation of WWII artifacts:

http://www.ddaymuseum.org/support/artifactgifts.html

Marion J Chard

I know I may be a lot late on this subject, but if you still have the jacket, you might consider contacting the Confederate Air Force now called the Commemorative Air Force based in Midland, Texas. They have a very nice museum there, and they have a site on the Internet. Aound the first or second week of each October, a lot of WW II aircraft gather there for a big Air Show and reenactment. Lots of Veterans show up.

Thanks for your input Sixgun. It's always appreciated. Hey and if it's too late for one person, the next one in line can always benefit. Have a great night. :pdt20:

Marion J Chard

And then as a total LAST RESORT........I happen to know a mannequin that would just LOVE to be photographed in that jacket! :lol: (just kidding..just kidding!)

:woof:

Was a bit hesitant to just donate it after hearing some horror stories. So instead I sold

it at a acution and got a good buck for it when bidding stopped. Was thinking to send the money to the scolarship fund of the 3rd Inf Div at first. Then I realized my grandaughter in college would be a great recipient of the money. Myself being a ww2

Inf. 3rd Div vet and her other grandfather being a ww2 Marine vet from many PTO

battles. So that is what I did. This will give her some more colledge money to continue.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  B-17 Flight - WWII Adventure Walt's Daughter 8 8,234 01-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  [For Sale] Ike Jacket 38th Engineers - 393rd. Engineer Regiment pjo 4 6,420 09-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Bob M
  Bidding on combat eng's Ike jacket Walt's Daughter 16 138,918 06-17-2005, 08:25 PM
Last Post: Custermen