George Jackson, 326th Airborne Engineering Battalion

Makes me really appreciate that I could make it to two of their reunions in Michigan. Sure miss those days.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"
I just received word that my friend. and WWII veteran, George V. Jackson, Jr. of Landingville, PA had passed away yesterday, Oct 10, 2020.  George was a member of the 101st Airborne and landed in the Netherlands in Operation Market Garden.  He was in Bastogne when they were surrounded by the Germans during the Battle of the Bulge.  He was wounded in battle from shrapnel from an 88mm round from a Tiger tank.  He survived but never shared his story publicly until I asked him about it. 

I had known George for many years when we got into a conversation in Nov 2010 and he mentioned he was in WWII. Being a WWII history buff, I was blown away to hear his story. I asked if I could record an interview and he obliged. Folks from this forum helped me draft the questions I asked.  I created a YouTube video that got the attention of many historians and George became a celebrity, in his own words.  George always thanked me for making that possible, and in one letter he wrote me, stated "Thank you for giving me my life back!" He was struggling after his wife passed away and this was just what he needed to feel alive again. It was his story, I just knew how to share it, and never took any credit. Hearing of his passing is saddening, as I was just thinking about him yesterday. Fortunately, his memory lives on and his sacrifice to our country goes beyond what any of us could fathom. In addition, historian Frank Gubbels (also from this forum) in the Netherlands shared many letters with George and they exchanged a lot of information.  I'm eternally thankful that Frank initiated that conversation to reach out to him, not only to hear his story, but also make George feel very special.  He was always surprised and amazed that anyone cared about what he did over there.  I'm forever grateful to know George and to be able to call him a friend.

(10-11-2020, 03:31 PM)vette97 Wrote: I am so sorry to hear this. Sure enjoyed learning about his experiences and seeing all the images. Thank you for letting us know. 
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need Help with info: Irvin o. Haugen Company B / 326th AEB Tommillard 3 4,377 06-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  1303rd general services engineering battalion terivee 4 10,550 01-30-2010, 07:31 PM
Last Post: Jeeper704
  George D Weber (Don) 39th Combat Eng Walt's Daughter 1 3,136 02-23-2007, 06:25 PM
  Engineering Skills 60 years later ha-ha! Walt's Daughter 0 2,481 12-09-2006, 11:16 AM
  326th Engineers - 101st Airborne Walt's Daughter 3 8,651 03-18-2006, 10:07 AM
  George A Smith - 39th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 1 3,896 01-05-2006, 10:29 PM