US Army Engineers - Sicily 1943.

I am still hoping to hear from veterans from Sicily 1943. Is there anyone out there who was involved in the clearing of Palermo harbour or at Cape Calava the building of the 'bridge in the sky'. Gen Patton said that without the efforts of the engineers, the drive on Messina would have ground to a complete halt!

'The difficult you did immediately. The impossible took you a little longer'.

Colin.

Colin,

I have seen many of your posts and know you are very interested and well informed about the Engineers in Sicily .I am also very interested in this topic. See my profile (ColBill ). My wife's father, Major Lester C. O'Neal,MD was Regimental Surgeon of the 39th from 1942 at Camp Bowie,Texas ,through N.Africa,Sicily and Italy until he was KIA in Italy in Nov.43.

He was in the invasion of Sicily at Gela that was written about by Col. Stanley Dziuban (see his MEMOIR on the website).

We have several letters written by Dr. O'Neal during his service but most are primarily personal with very little

information about where he was at the time .I believe the 39th was with the 1st Infantry Division which landed at Gela and progressed basically to the North until the reached the north coast near St.Stefano and then eastward to the end of the campaign . I have a photo which was sent to me by Col.Dziuban of Dr. O'Neal wIth a group of 39th officers and British officers around 18 Aug 43.Marion has it on the web site under MEMOIRS of Major O'Neal.

I would be pleased to hear anything more which you have about the 30Th in Sicily.

Bill Hamiter

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ordering Publications - Army Corps of Engineers Walt's Daughter 0 3,592 02-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter