3rd Div Eng Innovation - LST flight deck

Now this is something my husband and I had NEVER seen before. When I showed him the photo tonight, he was as floored as I was. Now that's really something when something from WWII wow's both of us, since we are pretty well versed in the history.

This photo is from the Anzio book I just bought this week titled, Anzio 1944 - The Beleaguered Beachhead.

"One of the more intriguing Allied innovations used at Anzio was the addition of a flight deck to LST's by 3rd Division Engineers. This permitted L-4 observation aircraft to fly artillery observation missions from offshore when airbases were not available in the beachhead." Photo provided by NARA

:pdt34::pdt34:

post-6-1145418388_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   AirLST3rdDiv.jpg (Size: 24.94 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

As mentioned in another post, Bud Wagner's book "And There Shall Be Wars" contains photos he took during his tour with the 34th Division. He was a liason agent (or messenger) for the 151 FA and drove a jeep between HQs. While transporting to Salerno, he took a photo of his jeep under one of these flight decks while on board the LST.

Check out this link to his book. It includes photos from his book.

CAUTION: Expect Pop-up Windows.

Home page for And There Shall Be Wars

Photo #14 shows the flight deck and an L-4 sitting on top.

http://members.tripod.com/lloyde_wagner/id17.htm

Steve

Thanks for the link to the site/photos. I shall place this on the main site when I get the chance.

I'm sure Rocky will like to see this. :pdt20:

Later that same day...

Started reading the journal on the side. It is mesmorizing. I am so thankful that many of the men kept journals. You start placing bits and pieces of many journals to complete the picture. Of course I'm always interested in anything from North Africa, Sicily or Italy, so his journal is right up my alley...

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leonard Drucker - Honor Flight attendee Walt's Daughter 1 3,692 05-16-2017, 02:17 AM
Last Post: Cynthia Sandor