Joe - Great article on the 3rd Inf Div

Joe and other men from the 3rd Inf Div. A friend copied a great article from the Saturday Evening Post, dated August 11, 1945. It's titled, The Third: Tops in Honors by Collie Small.

I'm about half way done reading it and really enjoying it. I know you will too. The paper is large, so it won't fit in my scanner, but I will find a way to get it on the web for the Rock of Marne. :pdt34:

Stay tuned...

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I have borrowed several Sat Evening Posts from a friend of mine. It is too big for the scanner, you have to scan them into 2 separate files and splice them together in a photo editing program.

If you want, you can scan them and email them to me and I'll splice them toegher for ya.

Sorry, I don't have any here at home that I can post. I've got them on a disk at work, since that's the PC I have the photo editing program on. I'll email one to myself and post it here on Monday.

Brooke

Many thanks. Sure would be interested in reading it. Hmmm, Aug 11 '45. Was in Fulda,

Germany getting ready for a R&R of a weeek in Paris where I was on V.J. Day. I will make sure Recon gets it also.

I have borrowed several Sat Evening Posts from a friend of mine. It is too big for the scanner, you have to scan them into 2 separate files and splice them together in a photo editing program.

If you want, you can scan them and email them to me and I'll splice them toegher for ya.

Sorry, I don't have any here at home that I can post. I've got them on a disk at work, since that's the PC I have the photo editing program on. I'll email one to myself and post it here on Monday.

Brooke

Oh thanks Brooke, but I can do it on mine too. I have all the fancy programs including a cool PDF compiler that works great. It's just a matter of doing it. :lol: I am going to try this weekend.

Hope you and Joe and the rest of the guys enjoy it. It's really well written and gives you a great feel. Plus, it mentions the 10th Engineers which were part of the 3rd Div.

:pdt34:

Marion J Chard

I love looking at those old magazines and reading all the war ads.

I am looking for a 1945 issue of the Sat Evening Post that has an article about the Battle of the Bulge in it, featuring a photograph of a dead soldier lying beside a vehicle. He was a captain of a unit in the 712th (I think, I'll have to check my book to verify) tank batallion. If you come across it, please let me know what issue it is in so that I can look for it on ebay or something.

I couldn't figure that magazine out, some of the stories are fact and some fiction :wacko: ??

Brooke:

Just picked up an old issue of LIFE on WWII last night. It will be arriving in about a week. I got it on a site called OLD Magazines, or something like that. Looks like a great collectors item. Will share upon it's arrival.

Soon I will have to set up a mini museum! :lol:

Marion J Chard

I should rephrase that. It's not an OLD issue, but a tribute issue to WWII that was copyrighted in 2000.

Here's the cover and the back. The photos are top-notch. Just started breezing through today. Glad I got it. :pdt34:

post-11-1145495769_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   LifeMag001.jpg (Size: 21.79 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

Back cover. I adore this photo. If a photo is worth a 1000 words, then this one is worth 2000! :pdt20:

post-11-1145495835_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   LifeMag002.jpg (Size: 16.58 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

Great photo!

Look at her shoes, I just bought a new pair like those a couple months ago, I wear them quite often. ;)

Brooke

Classic pumps!

Ain't love grand? :wub:

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Great Photos 3_7_I_Recon 4 5,402 01-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Dogdaddy
  Great PBS links - Secrets of the Dead! Walt's Daughter 0 1,826 05-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Great weapons site Walt's Daughter 9 7,665 05-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Dogdaddy
  Wouldnt it be great IF twobisquit 5 4,967 01-26-2007, 06:46 PM
Last Post: chucktoo1926
  The great tank battle of Kursk! Walt's Daughter 0 2,198 07-12-2006, 09:21 AM
  The hotdog vendors - Great vets! Walt's Daughter 5 5,090 07-09-2006, 05:59 PM
  Great links rudolph arruda 3 4,203 06-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Last Post: rennog
  GREAT WW2 FRIEND,ON HIS LAST MISSION Cadetat6 2 5,302 08-21-2005, 05:05 AM