Remagen-Ludendorf Bridge March 17, 1945

Frank Gubbels; YOU DESERVE A SALUTE FROM THIS DOGFACE FOR WHAT

YOU DO AND SO CLOSE TO THE CEMENTARY. AGAIN SALUTE.

Roque J.Riojas, in behalf of the 34th. Divn. Assoc.

Thank you very much for your comment. Makes me feel good.

Regards,

Frank

I put Howard Parthum in touch with Larry via email. Here's what Howard had to contribute...

Hi Larry.
I am going to also copy this to Marion Chard until I figure out how to use the site. I am happy to share what I have. I know my grandfather would have been happy to know someone had interest in his stories.
Yesterday being Veteran's day I played around searching for gramp's name (Col. Edward H. Coe). That led me to this book where Colonel Coe wrote an introduction.- The history of the 341st Engineer Regiment, July 29, 1943-March 22, 1946 I assume you all have seen it, but if not it surely would be of interest. From there I looked around for the 341st which led me to your posting about your uncle.

When I found your post about your uncle being killed on a bridge over the Rhine it reminded me of a piece in his memoirs he had written about that time. I am pretty sure he was talking about the same bridge anyway. I have scanned those particular pages and am attaching them here for now. I talked to my uncle today and I understand he has copied the Memories into a .pdf file which he hopes to send me but I will just go ahead and scan these particular pages for the moment to get them to you right away.

I will try and get you soon the other pages which deal with Camp Sutton, England, France, Belgium, The Bulge, Germany, Remagen, East of the Rhine, and back to Marseille. (1943-1945). Colonel Coe also wrote about his service in Japan with "The Big 9" if anyone has interest (1949-1952)

Cordially,

Howard

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I placed the link on the History Page on the main site too. Great stuff! :pdt12:

Marion J Chard

Oh here's the excerpt he was talking about within his letter...

From EHC Memories - excerpt regarding bridge.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   From EHC Memories - excerpt regarding bridge.pdf (Size: 1.9 MB / Downloads: 1)
Marion J Chard

Hi Marion and everyone. Thank you for making this site available, and thanks for uploading that excerpt from my grandfather's writings. I have since been able to get the other pages turned into a .pdf. They begin with his tour at Ft. Belvoir and conclude with his return stateside after Europe. The attached file below includes the pages Marion uploaded for me above, PLUS some more of the history. Please enjoy! I know Col Coe would have enjoyed swapping stories with you.
~Howard Parthum

Memories 15- 27 B.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   Memories 15- 27 B.pdf (Size: 1.45 MB / Downloads: 0)

Larry Parker, did you see this post about Johnny Thompson? There is a file there showing an interview with a newspaper he did regarding the 341st and he mentions the Remagen bridge. http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/engforum/index.php?showtopic=7983&hl=341st
~Howard

I talk to Johnny regularly. In fact, we exchanged emails this morning.

Marion J Chard

Excellent, Marion. Since Johnny mentioned the Remagen bridge in his interview I wanted to point it out to Larry. Mr. Thompson might also be interested in this thread of course.

I have never visited this topic before, and feel so privileged and, of course, very sad, to actually know the name of one of the Heroes that perished on the Remagen Bridge!

What a story and Remagen turned out to be part of my Dad's story too.

Thank you all for sharing these wonderful stories and pieces of real history!

Jean Alice

Howard, I sent Johnny an email, explaining that you would be contacting him.

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Info on 1017th Treadway Bridge Co Walt's Daughter 6 9,670 03-25-2019, 03:01 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Ponton bridge remains found in the Rhine Christoph 1 2,972 11-01-2018, 04:47 PM
  photo of 343rd bridge over Durance River Walt's Daughter 11 11,245 08-11-2018, 03:27 PM
  Paying homage to Capt John Fallon - No Bridge Too Far Walt's Daughter 0 2,803 05-27-2016, 11:26 AM
  Beachhead News June 3rd and 9th, 1945 Walt's Daughter 0 2,215 03-06-2016, 11:10 AM
  Bridge Over the Rhine River - Vada - Goodwin's Engineers Walt's Daughter 4 5,184 02-23-2016, 10:54 AM
  Beer Bridge Bonn Beuel, 237th Engineers Christoph 1 3,378 03-21-2015, 03:05 PM
Last Post: Jean Jacobson
  Help with identifying a bridge / location cincinnatikid 4 4,403 02-11-2015, 08:45 AM
  General Moses and the Pontoon Bridge Walt's Daughter 2 4,399 01-15-2014, 09:56 AM
  1885th Engineer Aviation Battlion "A camera trip thru March Field" puggy 1 2,733 09-30-2013, 11:52 AM