SS Sacajawea

Sent to me by Papa Art:

I was checking letters on SS Sacajawea. There was four of us on this ship June 1, 1945.

H.A. Henslee Replacements for 40th Div. 185th Inf.

Richard Kiene Officer of the ship, left in Pearl Harbor

John Sellers on front of ship

Art Morneweck on rear of the ship

San Francisco to Philippine Island 1945

June 1,1945 left Camp Stoneman, at Pittsburg, California went to San Francisco docks and boarded S.S. Sacajawea. Left at 17oo (5PM) and passed under San Francisco Bridge. The ship had about 900 G.I.s sleeping 4 high in canvas bed’s. We received 2 ½ meals a day and ship was so hot that we all ate on deck.

June 9 we arrived at Pearl Harbor at 10:00 and sat there for convoy to arrive.. .

June 15, left Pearl Harbor at 1500

June 22, at 0300 crossed International date line advancing 1 day on calender

June 26, arrived at Marshal Islands

June 27, left Marshal Island at 1600 the front of ship had 3 company’s of new rookies and they got all the K.P. work. We in rear of the ship were all at least one year service men ,Most were pissed off air corp. men who were put in the Infantry. . Japanese sub was trying to sink us but the Navy kept them away from us.. The food was terrible and they were throwing fruit out that was rorren.. We werer getting one candy bar every two days and now they stopped giving us any.

July 4, passed Carolina Island

July 8 Sundasy arrived at Leyte Island .

July 9 got off ship on to Leyte Island

July 23 left Leyte on L.C.I. boat and hit some bad weather

July 25 arrived at Panay Island, We were put in 40th division, 185th Infantry Company E

Sept. 6,1945 left Panay Island in Bandery ADA-131 for Taegu, Korea

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"