284th Engineers

Nice, nice! It's coming together. How exciting huh? I see you gave our site a plug, thanks! I will place a link to your site, from the main site in a couple of minutes. Welcome to the fold.

Okay, it's done. Also gave you a plug on my Facebook page.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

The 284th's annual reunion is coming up! I thought it best to post it here as well as on the 284th's website just in case word hasn't spread enough yet.

284th Engineer Combat Battalion Annual Reunion!

The 284th Engineer Combat Battalion will hold its annual reunion on:

November 1-2-3, 2013

Location: Best Western Mainstay Inn Newport, Rhode Island 02840

Please call: 1-401-849-9880 to make reservations

Remember to tell them that you are with the 284th Engineers!

Cost should be $55.00 + tax per night

I have posted a lot of After Action Reports as well as some very detailed reports on the 284th's website. Some of them are by the hour and super interesting to read! I've hired the researcher Geoff (he posted in one of the other forums on here) to pull the rest of the AAR's from the National Archives for me! They really are fascinating reads!

I also received a whole photo album for C Company so I will be adding a lot more photos to that section. I really really need photos and documents for H&S, A and B Companies though....

http://284thcombatengineers.com/documents/index.cfm

Great job!!!! So pleased to hear this. It's a lot of work, but oh so gratifying when you see all the hard work come to fruition.

Marion J Chard

I've posted a 42 minute video of C Company 284th Combat Engineers in basic training at Camp Breckenridge on the website! Amazing amazing stuff!

http://284thcombatengineers.com/documents

It is a large file so I'd suggest starting a download and walking away (my webserver is an old computer sitting by my feet under my desk at home). But wow! I imagine a lot of folks would be interested to see this since I hear that it is rare to find basic training videos!

Woah, this is my first watch of the video and after basic training it has footage of the Marine Raven (heading to the ETO) and some footage in Wales! Wow!!

I decided to also upload the video to youtube to make it easier for people to view it / find it:

Night patrols were no picnic. For instance, Sgt. Ganss brings up a ticklish situation. "When a squad of men are situated on one river bank and the opposite bank is hostile a dead phone isn't quite the same as a dead phone back home, visions of enemy patrols are never completely forgotten on a dark night as eleven men wait silently in a building while two of their comrades check wire in the dark. If the trouble is mechanical it may take some time to find it. If not "Jerry" will kindly stand by and show you where he has cut the wires. Getting back to your squad in such a case is quite rare." Sgt. Ganss' trouble was mechanical so he and his boys got off with sweating it out until the trouble was found and repaired.

WHOA! Just the thought if it scares me. I am glad I never had to be in that situation.

Marion J Chard

Hey y'all! I hope that everyone is doing well! I just wanted to update this thread to include the fact that the 284th now has a Facebook page! I'm telling their story from activation through the end of the war with various little tidbits thrown in for fun.

https://www.facebook.com/284thcombatengineers

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  284th photos - where were these taken Walt's Daughter 16 15,909 02-03-2017, 12:17 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  special service engineers & rail engineers Ron Nash 17 586,933 11-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter