Wilbur Dickens 540th Combat Engineer

I am signed up for a Google Search Alert. Began using this feature several months ago. I have it set to notify me anytime that is finds an entry for someone or something related to the 540th Combat Engineers.

I have received several reports already and some of them I've already known about and some have been things that I was not aware of.

This morning I got one and almost fell off my chair. Why? Well this one is "hot-off-the-presses" and concerns a gentleman who is still amongst us. Here's the article and you can bet your sweet "your-know-what", that I will be on the phone later today contacting the editor. I MUST get in touch with this fellow.

http://www.tiftongazette.com/content/1/779...generations.htm

Also more good news... I've heard from two more family members within the last 24 hours. One grandson and one daugther of my members of my dad's unit. What a fantastic way to begin my week. :pdt34:

This is a photo of Dickens, the man featured in the article.

post-6-1121163107_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Dickens.jpg (Size: 15 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Update... I just sent an email to the editor of the paper.

-----------------------------

Dear Angie:

I am the daughter of a 540th Combat Engineer, who passed away when I was 12. To make a very long story short, I've always wanted to know more about my dad's military history and finally after many failed attempts in the past, I struck gold about 15 months ago and now have a wealth of information on my dad and his unit. I created and dedicated a site to my father and his fellow combat engineers and have also become the official historian for the 540th.

I have been very blessed since beginning my venture in the spring of 2004 and am now in contact with approximately two dozen 540th vets and/or their children and grandchildren. I plan on meeting one of the gentlemen this summer, a man named Bill Vander Wall of Company A, who happens to live in my same state of Michigan.

Of course I am always searching for more information and to make my quest even easier, I signed up for a Google Search Alert a few months ago. Every time it finds something related to the 540th CE, it sends me a notification. Well imagine my utter surprise when I received a Google Flash this morning regarding Thomas Dickens.

http://www.tiftongazette.com/content/1/779...generations.htm

I immediately sat down to compose this letter to you. My wish of course is to get in contact with Mr. Dickens as soon as possible, and I was hoping that you could arrange that for me. Please relay my interest. I have included all my contact information below.

Angie this would really make my summer! As you know these soldiers aren't getting any younger, so I frantically try to compile all their stories for my site and for the book I am writing on the 540th Engineers.

I look forward to hearing from you. Oh by the way, where is Tifton? We have a daughter, son-in-law and a granddaughter who live in Acworth, GA.

Sign me excited in Michigan,

Marion J Chard

Proud daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek

540th Combat Engineer WWII

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/

PO Box 147

Alger, MI 48610-0147

989-859-8418 (cell with voice mail)

Marion J Chard

Unbelievable. :D Thought this was a dead-end because I never heard back from the editor of the newspaper, but yesterday I got a wonderful surprise in the mail. I received a BIG package that contained a 9X12 three-ring binder filled to the brim with all kinds of information on the 540th. The gentleman featured in the article found me through his daughters and took the time and effort to supply me with photos, articles and a personally written history from training to the end of the war. I am still reeling with excitement.

I've learned so much already, including the fact the 540th were in Berchtesgaden. Wow, I never knew that. Wilbur sent me several photos of he and his fellow 540th'ers taken at the Eagles Nest June 1st, 1945. Fantastic! :pdt34:

So this weekend I am going to set aside some time to call this gentleman. We will have much to discuss. I think he will be pleased when I tell him that my article will be in Army Engineer Magazine in the May-June issue. A nice surprise for all the guys. :pdt12:

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The 187th Engineer Combat Bn PDP2020 0 2,318 12-05-2022, 04:48 PM
Last Post: PDP2020
  245th Engineer Combat Battalion, U.S. Third Army 1874thhistorian 5 13,313 08-21-2019, 01:01 AM
Last Post: mikel
  174th Engineer Combat Battalion Wendy 4 11,984 04-22-2019, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  291st Engineer Combat Battalion Roster EngineerReenactor 9 19,992 02-01-2019, 02:42 PM
Last Post: mikel
  169th Engineer Combat Battalion angatti 15 20,748 10-07-2018, 11:41 AM
Last Post: angatti
  Jack Frank 1142nd Combat Engineer Group Frank Gubbels 4 5,828 05-27-2018, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Frank Gubbels
  1111th Engineer Combat Group Walt's Daughter 4 9,299 04-16-2018, 09:19 AM
  Book showing Photographs of work of the 157th Engineer Combat Battalion brian m 20 20,279 02-05-2018, 07:52 PM
Last Post: SEH
  Info on Richard Conn - 540th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 5 8,499 01-23-2018, 05:24 PM
  207th Engineer Combat Battalion Jacques 20 22,510 12-01-2017, 07:33 AM