3rd Army, What Army? What?

Watching the History Channel this afternoon. Watched a show on the 101st. Currently watching a show on 3rd Armored Division. Great show.

One of the things I wanted to share with you was this cute little story that one GI told. He said how so many people would confuse the 3rd Armored Div with the 3rd Army. Said even his own mother would do this. Every time she saw a headline with the 3rd Army or Patton, she would think it was her son. He kept trying to correct her. He wrote to her one time and said, mom I am NOT with Patton's Army. I am 1st Army, 3rd Armored. Ha! It didn't work. She still kept getting it confused! :D:wacko:

I told my husband that I have lost track of how many people still get all this confused. Things like, "Well if he was with the 36th Engineers, then that means he was with the 36th Div. No, no, no. :lol:

It does get confusing especially for novices. Oh the convoluted Army.

But it did work to confuse the enemy too. Hmm, if the 82nd A.B. was coming at 'cha, did that mean that there were 81 A.B Div's coming before it? The smoke of war did work. :banghead:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Hi 'M,

You know, I get confused by all that unit jargon too! For those of us who were never in the military it does get very confusing, especially when reading a book about WWII. For me all that is rather"extra", as I am more interested in individual characters stories, but I do understand how important it is to people who served with or had family members in specific units.

BTW...I watched THC today also. I have a copy of "Rolling Thunder" on DVD if you ever wish to make a copy for yourself. You gotta feel for the poor guys who had the job of cleaning and repainting the insides of tanks after their buddies had been killed in them...don't know if I could do that.

:woof:

I've been so busy lately that I haven't stuck my head in to say "Hi". I don't know if this relates or not.

I received an email from an Italian who found a GI's dogtag with only the name, serial number, blood-type and religion, of course. He assumed that since it was found in the Apennine Mtns that it belonged to a member of the US 10th Mountain Division who was killed in action. He asked me to find the next-of-kin to return it.

Well, a genealogy expert friend helped me locate his daughter. It turned out the soldier surived the war and had two daughter, only to die when the youngest was 4. So she dearly wanted to have a memento of her father.

The GI's Mom was still living and we asked her did her husband serve in Italy and what did he do. She said he did and all she could recall was that he was a cryptologist in the 2nd Division.

Well there was no 2nd Division nor a 2nd Army in Italy. However, there was a 2nd Corps. And a cryptologist would probably work for a HQ unit at the level of an army or corps level.

I'm still trying to locate his unit and get the dogtags back to US.

Steve

Quite a story. We'll call this one, 2nd Army, No Army! Fits in perfectly. I wish you all the best uncovering the mystery. I'm sure it will all unravel soon and you'll discover his unit.

The daughter should go to or call the state when her father lived when he was discharged. If he ever applied for "bennies" or had any kind of interaction with the local VA, they will have his discharge papers. That is how I found out all the info on my dad.

Also she could call any of the local papers of his home town. Many times they had little clips about their local guys and it would have his unit included. Several people I know found info this way too.

Marion J Chard

Well, I was successful in communicating to the guy in Italy and he sent the dogtags. I guess I will hold my breath to see if they arrive.

Today, I got another request. I laughed my head off when I read it and you will see what I mean by my reply.

Original email:

Hi Steve,

I am trying to find where Salocciano, Italy is. My Uncle lost his arm 12 May 1944. I have tried to find it via the Internet but can not. He was in Company 1 338th Infantry. Do you think you might be able to help me? Gail

My Reply

Hi Gail,

I can't help you find your Uncle's lost arm but I can help you find that town.

:lol:

Good one. :lol::lol: Yes, the way it was written sounded like, "Can you help me find his arm?" Oh dear. Ya, I think the town will be much easier to find. :lol:

Good luck on the dog tags. I'm sure you will let us know the moment they arrive. :pdt34:

Marion J Chard

I think the town will be much easier to find

Yes. I think it was misspelled; transposed two vowels. But based on the history of this regiment and the date, it wasn't that hard to identify.

Steve

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At 103, a former Army nurse in Silicon Valley remembers World War II Walt's Daughter 0 1,927 09-06-2011, 09:36 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  PFC Burkett Moore Sims, 7th Army, 14th Armored Walt's Daughter 0 2,119 06-05-2011, 09:35 AM
  WWII army units - NO CO J Walt's Daughter 11 757,914 03-10-2011, 04:35 PM
  IBM punch cards in the US Army Walt's Daughter 0 2,564 02-13-2011, 10:40 AM
  Photos of German Army WW11.... ricklind 6 7,217 02-09-2009, 12:25 AM
  Nov 3 1943 "Army Talks" series "What's Wrong With The Germans" arve 0 2,320 08-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Last Post: arve
  "RED ARMY HOLDS NEAR KURSK" afc7883 2 3,830 02-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Last Post: Dogdaddy
  Your in the Army now..!!!! ricklind 3 4,271 02-07-2008, 08:59 PM
  WWII Army Photos CaptO 6 6,975 02-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  Army Bands in WWII Walt's Daughter 0 9,961 12-01-2007, 10:55 PM