Wallet from WWII

Mark,

The little things help tell the whole story. If you have read "The Man Who Never Was", it describes the scheme to decieve the Germans about the upcoming invasion of Sicily. They use ticket stubs and such paper documents to make their cover story look convincing.

Here is some info about The Barretts of Wimpole Street . This was probably being performed as a play. However it was released as a movie in 1934 and the cast included Charles Laughton and Maureen O'Sullivan. The movie was nominated for 2 Oscars. Norma Shearer won an Oscar for Best Actress in a Leading Role. It would be possible that the theater was showing the movie but I don't think so. From another diary I have, it is evident that the soldiers got to see some of the latest Hollywood releases and this movie would be out of date for them.

The Movie: "The Barretts of Wimpole Street "

The play by Rudolf Besier was arranged in two parts and twenty-three scenes by Katharine Cornell. It opened at the Empire Theatre, New York City, February 9, 1931. Following the 370 performance run, Katherine Cornell took the show on a seven-month U.S. tour. Produced by Katherine Cornell, staged by Guthrie McClintic. Basil Rathbone was not part of the Broadway production, but joined the cast for the tour, which began in October, 1933.

The play takes place in the Barrett home on Wimpole Street, London. It is the story of the epic love of Elizabeth and Robert Browning. The interesting part is that they couple elopes together to Italy.

It was televised in 1956 starring "The First Lady of the American Theatre" in her television debut, Katharine Cornell.

Steve

"The Man Who Never Was"! What a great story, and lesson in attention to detail. You are so right about the details. I am amazed that my dad kept all of this. After VE day, my dad was in charge of disposing of captured "Iti and kraut" (his words) gear. I asked him why he never brought any home and he said he never thought he would have a couple of boys who would be interested in that stuff. Well this stuff is vastly more interesting to me than a helmet or weapon.

My nephew is a WWII Engineer re enactor and I have tried to explain that Soldiers were not all "cookie cut" from the same dough. That every Soldier (then and now) did and does things to his "kit" that makes it his own. Only in training was I ever held to "GI" standard on my web gear as far as what I carried (issued 2 ammo pouches? 3 must be better!). So he should build his character with personal details in mind. Now that I have said that maybe I can reproduce some of these things I have found in his granddads wallet and he can add it to his "kit".

This discussion was quite timely. I recieved an email from someone who was interested in one of the theaters. I'm not sure if he was in Italy during or after the war. But here is what he wrote (I removed his name for now). Please excuse the ALL CAPS.

HI:

THANK YOU FOR YOUR FINE WEBPAGE.

I WAS IN NAPLES FOR A SHORT AND MINIMALLY INVOLVED IN A MULTINATIONAL PROJECT TO REMORALIZE THIS SEVERELY DESTROYED CITY.

THE LOCALS WERE TOTALLY DEPRESSED, HUNGRY AND SEEMINGLY HOPELESS.

A BUNCH OF THE VARIOUS ALLIED UNITS DECIDED TO TRY TO DO SOMETHING TO LIFT THE SPIRIT OF THE LOCAL POPULATION FROM THE BOMBED OUT BUILDINGS AND RUBBLE.

THE AD HOC GROUP INTERESTED IN THIS PROJECT DECIDED TO REOPEN THE OPERA HOUSE.  (THEATRO DI SAN CARLO)

THE AUDITIONS ALL OVER TOWN LITERALLY BLANKED OUT THE RUBBLE AND THE OPENING WAS A GREAT SUCCESS. THIS WAS FOR ME ONE OF THE MOST UPLIFTING EXPERIENCES OF MY MILITARY SERVICE.

UNFORTUNATELY MY MEMORY IS VAGUE AND I HAVE TRIED TO FIND A HISTORIAN, WHO MAY FILL IN THE DETAILS.  SO FAR NO LUCK I STRUCK OUT EVEN AT THE US CONSULATE IN NAPLES OR AT THE THEATER ITSELF.  NO ONE (K)NEW ANYTHING OR WAS PARTICULARLY INTERESTED IN THIS STORY.

PERHAPS YOU COULD POINT ME IN A FRUITFUL DIRECTION OR GIVE ME SOME REFERENCE BOOK TITLES.

I WAS IN THE US ARMY SIGNAL CORPS.

THANK YOU AND BEST REGARDS

The San Carlos Theater was located in Naples. The original dated back many years and was destroyed by fire and rebuilt in 1861, I believe.

Steve

Isn't it amazing what can take place in war? Wish we could give this guy a few more answers. Who knows what we will find.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WWII wallet found and returned after 70 years! Walt's Daughter 5 5,697 08-12-2015, 12:15 AM
Last Post: CaptO
  Vet Returns Wallet from WWII Walt's Daughter 0 2,111 05-27-2008, 11:01 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter