Introduction

I started looking at this site to try and find some information for my father in law who served with the 175th Engineer Regiment from 1942-1945. He has the European African Middle Eastern Service Medal for this service. I am a retired SGM E-9 (mostly reserves) that started out as an infantryman. After my 3 years of active duty I enlisted in the reserves and became a Drill Sgt and then had my MOS changed to Combat Engineer. My last assignment was as a Command Sgt Major in charge of a Battalion of Combat Engineer Drill Sergeants. I find that I am still learning from some of the veterans and experts that post on this site. I may not post as often as some but I will be hiding in the shadows and reading to try an further my education. Thanks for a nice site.

You are welcome Sgt Major Timkins . Feel free to explore our modest but honest site !

Lennon

Hi everyone. My name is Judy and I live in Georgia. I'm 40 years old. My father, PFC Dewey J. Carver, Jr., was a member of the 175th Engineering Corps during World War II. I remember growing up on his stories of the war but the one that stands out is when he talked about helping to build the Po River Bridge. He always talked of taking us kids over to Italy to see it one day, but he never got the opportunity to do that. I lost my dad Dec. 8, 2007 to alzheimer's disease. His stories are all but gone. I started trying to research his old army regiment but at that time very little could be found on the internet about it. I'm hoping this site will be a blessing and a great help. All of his medals, photos, letters...everything disappeared. I was told one of his aunts got a hold of everything but where it went from her I have no clue. This would mean so much to me to find out all I can about his regiment. I doubt too many of his old unit are still alive, but if anyone has any information, photos especially, of the 175th Engineering I would love to hear it. I'll be reading through this site as I have time. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and put feelers out for what I'm looking for. Thanks for reading.

Hi Judy welcome to the forum. The booklet we have: "Engineer History, 5th Army, Meditereanean Theather" has a wealth of info on the 175th Engineer General Service Regiment. http://www.6thcorpsc...d%20Theater.pdf

From appendex H:

175th Ehgineer General Servioe Regiment

"The 175th Engineer Regiment was organized on 16 February 1942 at Fort Jackson, South Carolina. The

regiment left the New York Port of Embarkation on 2 November 1942. Prior to this date. It had served in

the United States on combat teams of the Eastern Defense Command.

The 175th arrived in Casablanca, French Morocco, 18 November 1942 in the D plus 5 convoy of the

Western Task Force. While there, cantonments were constructed, an engineer dump operated, roads

and railways constructed, nine miles of taxiways and fifty hardstandings at Gazes Airport near Casablanca built,

and the French Morocco Power syeten reconnoitered.

On 25 February 19^3. the regiment proceeded to La Meskiana, Algeria, and was attached to the British

First Army, to maintain and repair roads in that area. In Tunisia in March, the regiment was attached to

the American II Corps and continued road and bridge maintenance and repair in the Tebessa-Haidra-Thala-

Ferianna region of Tunisia.

In April, the regiment again was attached to the British, this time to the Eighth Army. Road and bridge work was

done in the Sbeitla-El Djem-Enfidaville-Maktar area of Tunisia, and also harbor work at Sousse.

On 21 May 1943» the regiment was attached to Eastern Base Section for road work and the clearing and

repair of Karouba Base, Bizerte.

On 1 August 1943» the 175th went to Sicily with the Seventh Army. It was charged with the operation

of supply installations, guarding railroads and public utilities, road and bridge repair, salvage work,

and the operation of a petroleum distribution system in the area. Near Trapani and Palermo, airport runways

and taxiways were constructed. The regiment was released from assignment to the Seventh Army and

assigned to Island Base Section on 17 September.

On 4 November 1943, the regiment was assigned to Fifth Army and a month later began moving to Italy."

You`ll find the rest of the unit`s operations throughout the booklet in the unit operations sections.

The Po River Bridge:

175TH BRIDGE ACROSS PO UNDER CONSTRUCTION

post-304-0-08413600-1337283734_thumb.jpg

The Completed Bridge:

post-304-0-64839900-1337283751_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   175TH BRIDGE ACROSS PO UNDER CONSTRUCTION.jpg (Size: 52.87 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   175TH BRIDGE ACROSS PO UNDER COmpleted.jpg (Size: 43.61 KB / Downloads: 0)

Judy, your father`s medals can be reissued. There is some information on how -to in the Research section. There is more info on the NARA website:

Learn how to replace lost or damaged medals and awards

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/

Hi Judy: Nice talking chatting with you earlier this week, and great to see you hear. We wish you all the best in your endeavors and if you need anything, just let us know. We're a pretty friendly bunch of guys and gals.

Make sure to check out the other links regarding his unit, elsewhere on this forum.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Enlistment Record

ARMY SERIAL NUMBER 34825856

NAME CARVER DEWEY J JR

RESIDENCE: STATE 43 GEORGIA

RESIDENCE: COUNTY 215 MUSCOGEE

PLACE OF ENLISTMENT 4344 FT MCPHERSON ATLANTA GEORGIA

DATE OF ENLISTMENT DAY 22

DATE OF ENLISTMENT MONTH 07

DATE OF ENLISTMENT YEAR 43

GRADE: ALPHA DESIGNATION PVT Private

GRADE: CODE 8 Private

BRANCH: ALPHA DESIGNATION NO No branch assignment

BRANCH: CODE 02 No branch assignment

FIELD USE AS DESIRED #

TERM OF ENLISTMENT 5 Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law

LONGEVITY ### ###

SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL 0 Civil Life

NATIVITY 43 GEORGIA

YEAR OF BIRTH 25

RACE AND CITIZENSHIP 1 White, citizen

EDUCATION 0 Grammar school

CIVILIAN OCCUPATION 590 Undefined Code

MARITAL STATUS 2 Married

COMPONENT OF THE ARMY 7 Selectees (Enlisted Men)

CARD NUMBER # #

BOX NUMBER 0854

FILM REEL NUMBER 3.276

Hi everyone. This gives me a great start. Thank you to SonofaMP for the registration information. Can't tell you how much that means to me and my son. I have a question, though...what does the FILM REEL NUMBER 3.276 mean? I can't wait to delve into the links and see what else I can dig up. Look forward to finding out more about my dad's life in the army and WWII. Thanks again everyone.

Hi Judy, the box number & Flim number refer to the location of the microfilm at the Electronic and Special Media Records Services Division (NWME), National Archives at College Park, MD. The most important is his Army Serial Number, you`ll need that if you want to get his personel file, or other records.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introduction - 210th Military Police Company WWII Krogh Feuerborn 1 3,255 05-15-2019, 12:24 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Late introduction CaptO 16 15,398 05-15-2018, 05:40 PM
  Introduction Hans Senden hsenden 6 6,006 03-11-2018, 06:13 AM
Last Post: Frank Gubbels
  Introduction belarus 2 4,939 02-16-2018, 09:20 AM
  Introduction Terri DuLong 1 3,118 02-15-2013, 08:33 AM
  Introduction Jim Webb 3 4,251 01-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Last Post: 24th Arm'd Engr. Bn.
  A proper introduction para414 1 3,345 02-17-2009, 11:27 PM