Douglas Aulenbacher - 1290th CE

Posting this for a new friend:

Dear Marion Chard,

I am trying to locate information on the 1290th Engineer Combat Battalion, European Theater of Operations. So far there is no mention of the 1290th . Do you have any suggestions for continuing the search for this battalion?

My uncle, A Douglas Aulenbacher's separation papers say; Served 9 months in European Theater, Captain, Unit Commander Combat Engineer, 1331. Supervised 5 officers and 160 men in bridge construction, repair and maintenance of roads. During combat, demolition of bridges, worked in coordination with higher headquarters in reconnaissance work to determine the amount of captured enemy equipment. Active service, 23 Dec 1942 - 12 May 1946.

I would appreciate any assistance.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Barbara McArthur

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Okay here we go Barbara. Will try and print ANYTHING I come across for the 1290th. Unfortunately the bn/reg did not show up in my, as I call it, Engineering Bible! :D But, I will have something to share with you.

---------------------

Here's a little tidbit I found this morning...

Eugene Arlin Malenius of Eveleth was inducted into the Army on Sept. 16, 1943. He was a private first class and salvage technician with Company A, 1290th Engineer Battalion, in Central Europe. "We were sent to the war zone with four other units. We were able to tour war-torn Europe and were able to see the concentration camp at Dachau. The stench of burned humans still permeated the area." He won the Good Conduct Medal, European-African-Middle East Campaign Service Medal with a bronze battle star, American Campaign Service Medal and the World War II Victory Medal. He was discharged on Dec. 30, 1945.

----------------------

I strongly suggest that you see the links under my RESEARCH Section. I would contact the Army Corps of Engineers. They usually have folders on each engineer regiment. They have been a tremendous help to me and others on this site. Ask to speak with Michael Brodhead and tell him I sent you. He will KNOW who I am. :lol:

http://208.56.11.96/Invision/index.php?showtopic=23

----------------------

I also strongly suggest that you contact my friend Richard Horrell. He does private research and has over 5000 books in his library. He's also bound to come up with info that I simply do not have at this moment. You will also find his name under the section link above.

I will keep looking. Keep us informed on your progress. Hopefully someone will see this link and be able to offer their two cents. Who knows, maybe another member of the 1290th will post here. That would be a real treat.

Marion J Chard

For Barbara and others,

I just obtained a copy of a Deptartment of the Army Pamphlet, No 672-1, entitled Unit Citation and Campaign Participation Credit Register dated July 1961. This official Army document was used to establish the eligibility of individuals who served in WW2 or Korea so they could be awarded a campaign medal. This book contains 533 pages printed front and back with about 60 unit entries per page.*

The 1290th Engineer Combat Battalion* is listed in this document but there are NO campaigns listed with it nor any meritorious service awards. The only comments are that it was an Occupation force in Germany from 20 May to 5 July 1945.

It seems he arrived there too late to see combat experience, based on this and Marion's info.

If anyone wants me to look up a unit, let me know. I think there was another similar question on the forum but I can't find it.

Steve

* Edited to protect the innocent(me) and to confuse the wise(Marion)

Steve I noticed you wrote the 1090th. Did you mean the 1290th? That is who she is trying to find info on.

I still need to look up info on the 1331st too.

Marion J Chard

Marion,

Oops. :o I corrected it.

Now for the other unit: 1331st Engineer General Service Regiment

Campaign code indicates Rhineland

Meritorious Unit Commendation - None

Other- Occupation force Okinawa 15 Sep 1945 - 19 Jan 1946

& Korea 20 Jan - 5 Mar 1946

Does that help in any way?