Battle of the Bulge link

Thanks again Jim Hennessey. How many links have you given me now? Geez, I've lost track. I'm guessing around 100... B)

http://www.answers.com/topic/battle-of-the-bulge

Since it's another anniversary of the Bulge, take some time to read and reflect.

BTW, I have this photo on my desktop. It reminds me each day in the winter of Michigan that I have a lot to be thankful for and when I am outside shoveling snow or hanging up lights and freezing my behind off, that I can ALWAYS go in the house and get warm or feed my face or hug my love ones.

My good buddy Rick was over yesterday and noticed my desktop. Man those guys sure look cold don't they? Yup I said, they're my heroes. :wub: They make me thank God for my blessings.

post-11-1135286004_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   bulge_vith_road.jpg (Size: 70.82 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Many of you already know how some English-speaking German's had infiltrated our lines during the Bulge. For those of you who aren't aware of this, here's some brief facts.

Skorzeny successfully infiltrated his battalion of disguised, English-speaking Germans behind the Allied lines. Although they failed to take the vital bridges over the Meuse, the battalion's presence produced confusion out of all proportion to their military activities, and rumours spread like wild-fire. Even General Patton was alarmed and, on December 17, described the situation to General Eisenhower as "Krauts... speaking perfect English... raising hell, cutting wires, turning road signs around, spooking whole divisions, and shoving a bulge into our defenses".

Here's a great tidbit from the history. I hope it will give you a chuckle.

Checkpoints were soon set up all over the Allied rear, greatly slowing the movement of soldiers and equipment. Military policemen drilled servicemen on things which every American was expected to know, such as the identity of Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, baseball scores, or the capital of Illinois. This latter question resulted in the brief detention of General Omar Bradley himself; although he gave the correct answer—Springfield—the GI who questioned him apparently believed that the capital was Chicago.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Key facts about the Battle of the Bulge Walt's Daughter 0 3,172 12-17-2015, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Another Battle for Eisenhower? Walt's Daughter 0 2,424 11-05-2014, 08:26 PM
  The Battle of Athens - 1946 Walt's Daughter 0 3,083 05-04-2012, 06:13 AM
  American units at the Bulge Walt's Daughter 0 2,224 08-13-2011, 10:47 AM
  THE BATTLE OF BURTONWOOD Walt's Daughter 0 2,385 06-03-2011, 09:44 AM
  Final March for Battle of the Bulge Veterans Walt's Daughter 0 2,173 06-02-2011, 01:32 PM
  Battle at Best Frank Gubbels 2 3,654 01-31-2011, 12:30 PM
  Battle of the Bulge - remember in December Walt's Daughter 7 7,518 12-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Jeeper704
  List of American units at the Bulge Walt's Daughter 12 28,177 12-20-2010, 12:22 PM
  Reg remembers the Bulge Walt's Daughter 0 1,932 12-10-2010, 08:20 AM