Sole Common Camp, England-Which Engineers?

Jim:

More good news to start off the year. I got a letter from Mark Bando this morning and here is what he had to say pertaining to your question. I am not placing the phone number here, but will send it to you in private.

------------

... I'm not up on the minute details of the encampment areas for the 326th AEB in England, but you could phone a 326th vet named Byron Armbruster in the Toledo area. He has quite a detailed memory and was in Service Co. of the 326th. Quite possibly, he could answer all those questions. His phone # is...

----------------

So let me know how it goes. Happy New Year and the best to you!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Thanks for that, but I think something went astray;

I'm looking for the 876th AEAB, not the 826thAEB (I think they were based in Northamptonshire and build Harrington Airfield).

I will still give mr. Armbruster a bell, in case I'm wrong, but because I live in the UK the time difference is a problem and it will cost an arm and a leg, so please provide e-mail or mail adddresss in future.

Jim.

AARGH!

That's me reading it wrong! the 826th were as I said, but Mr. Brando was talking about the 326th AEB who were based at Basildon park, Reading, so could well be usefull.

All these numbers and letters can get a bit confusing, sorry!.

Jim

Don't sweat it Jim. ;) I will give him a call for you. I realize that you live in England and that costs can be prohibitive. I don't think this gentleman has an email address.

I'll let you know what transpires and will keep you up-to-date. It will be fun talking with him and I'm always thrilled to talk to yet another WWII vet.

I had a guy call me from England a few months ago. He called me three times too. Must have cost him an arm and a leg. Hopefully it was worth it. Yikes!

Marion J Chard

Jim:

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but at one of the reunions I was presented with a map that details the travels of the 876th in Europe. They were each given a copy when they were discharged.

After arriving at Gourock, Scotland they went to Welford Park, Berks, Eng. It mentions several other locations in England.

At the bottom of the map it references the following: Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, and Central Europe.

I would be glad to share a copy of this map with you. It's fairly large. I will find a place to have it copied and mail it to you.

I will be having surgery on Tuesday so I will be out of commission for a few days. As soon as I can get around I will have a copy made. Please let me know if you think this would help your research.

Thanks,

Jan

Wow, talk about results!

Marion,

It is very kind of you to offer to make the call, If you could ask for a mailing address and wether it would be OK to send a long list of questions, I would be in your debt. This way it will work out cheapest all round.

Jan,

Your map is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for; period evidence linking units to places. Interesting that it says Welford Park (Sole Common is still part of the Welford Park estate), I've now got 3 names for USAAF station 424!

If you e-mail me direct we can swap addresses, so that I can recieve a copy and reimburse you for copying and shipping to the UK.

Jim james@broadwick.co.uk

Cheers all! :drinkin:

I will try and call him this weekend. Sorry I haven't gotten around to it yet, but have been busy with work, taking down Christmas decorations and going through my NARA docs. Whew!

Marion J Chard

Jim:

Just got off the phone with Byron Armbruster. What a great gentleman. Was afraid that I had reached a dead-end, when I called the number I had given you. I got a message machine and was in the middle of leaving a message, when someone picked up the phone. I asked for Byron and the guy said he didn't live there anymore. Oh sigh! I then asked if he had a contact number and he said, wait, let me look. Yes, he did. The gentleman said his name was Ron and if I talked to Byron I was to tell him he said hi and sent his best.

So, I called the second number and to my surprise I got a hold of Byron. I explained that I was given his name and number by Mark Bando. At first it didn't ring a bell and then I said, "Mark Bando, author of several 101st books." "Oh yes", he replied, "Mark".

I then explained that a friend had contacted me who was conducting archeological work in England, and was looking for any information he could gather. Told him that I contacted Mark Bando, hoping he could help, and that Mark said to call you. I then explained that it was difficult for you to call from England, and that I offered my assistance.

I told him about my work and how others contacted me for research, etc. He then asked where I lived and I told him, Michigan. Oh, he exclaimed. That's where we are having a reunion in Frankenmuth. Yes I told him, I know all about that and went on to say that I was hoping to attend. He said he would be there and he was hoping to meet me. I said that I knew several other members of the 101st including, Don Burgett and George Koskimaki. You know George, he asked surprisingly? Oh ya! Gee, George is a very good friend of mine, he chimed. So I told him I was planning on calling George this weekend and would send his regards.

He told me he was 92. I couldn't believe it and told him so. Ya, he said, many people tell him the same. I said how honored I was to speak with him and thanked him for his time. Told him I would make sure I told George about our conversation.

He would love to hear from you. Best of luck Jim! :pdt34:

I'll write to you in private with his address. I don't like posting those on the net, unless instructed to do so.

Cheers!

Marion J Chard

Did you get my email with his address? He is looking forward to hearing from you. Please send your list of questions to him. Let me know the moment you hear anything back.

Marion J Chard

Marion, you are a star, thankyou.

I will be posting my letter to mr. Armbruster on Monday and look forward to hearing from him.

The meeting in Frankenmuth, is it a general 101st bash, when is it, and what's the nearest airport? I might be able to come over.

Jim.

P.s. Take the halo of the angel smilie and give us an Airborne one!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Camp Butner NC engineer units. Trying to research briansutton 9 11,013 07-21-2019, 07:27 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter