Das Boot "Director's cut"

Tonight I watched Das Boot again, for the first time in quite a while, and I think it has to be one of the top 5 best films about showing what a serviceman went through during wartime, in this case the Kriegsmarine sailors that served in U-Boats in the North Atlantic. Out of a total of 40,000 of these men only 10,000 ever came back. The film certainly did a good job of conveying the psychological terror of a depth-charge attack, which I doubt that many could handle. Even though we are talking about the enemy here I have to respect the courage of any man who volunteered for "The Silent Service" in WWII. Great movie! :pdt34:

:woof:

Your spot on mate, Das Boot is, without doubt, the best WW2 flick to portray the terrible conditions and horrendous dangers faced by those brave men. :pdt34:

Here, here! Yes one of our faves too. Have watched it several times. Makes you feel like you are in the submarine with them. I am claustrophobic. Would never get me in one of those things. No way. I have a lot of respect for submariners!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

For your all notice .

I've been on the original U-boat that was used filming Das Boat .

The entire filmshoot setup has been recreated in MovieWorld Germany .

It has become a part of the entertainment .

The relics are the same but used for commercial purposes now in Warners Movie World .

Anyway Das Boat remains to be seen as a classic...

Len

Hmmm, first time I ever heard of that. I'll have to look it up.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "The Bloody Battle For The Boot:Italy in WWII" arve 1 3,812 05-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Last Post: roque_riojas