GREATEST GENERATION

Thanks, Greatest Generation ll

Mimi Evans Winship

Where did it go? This country we knew

When our world was red and white and blue.

Wasn’t it clear what was right and wrong?

Didn’t we strive to try to belong

To the legions of those who gave so much?

Where and how did we all lose touch?

When did the arrogant nudge the compassionate

Aside and offer a plan with flash in it?

Words over substance became the way

The new elites would carry the day.

“Tell them you care, and don’t let them know

The machinations going on below.

We’ll rule wisely because we’re blest

With the knowledge of what is best for the rest.

We belong to One World, not the USA.

Ours is a more International way.

With superior intellect we’ll never see

The old fashioned Red State morality.

Sophistication is the modern call.

United Nations over all.â€

But just when we saw our past slip away,

A new Generation, Great in their way,

Stormed the ramparts of Evil Ones.

Fathers, daughters, mothers, sons

Had no trouble defining the truth.

They donned their uniforms, needing no proof

Of what was right for the land they love.

Putting our country’s safety above

What peace and comfort and safety they knew.

Painting us once again red, white and blue.

Ellie

One thing I dont like is the "Greatest Generation" bit. I feel that only the names, faces,

time and countiies have changed. Not the fighting spirit of our soldiers. So I am a

WW 2 Infantry Vet. I dont feel we were the "greatest Generation".. All fighting men have served in the same wars, bled and died. Why seperate us from them? They did the same damn thing we did. Fight for our country. Just what is the big diference? I have just as a great feling for those who fought in Korea, Nam, and other conflicts and wars as those of us in WW 2.. Please dont put in a different catagory. They did the same thing as we did.

I call it the ROMANTIC GENERATION

cadetat6

Paul I can understand that you may not want to accept the platitudes that come your way, but please understand how some of other generations feel and those of your generation too.

While the compliments that flow your way may not be acceptable to you, it's merely our way to express gratititude for a job well done. It is not merely to express thanks for the war effort, but an expression of thanks and appreciation for AN ATTITUDE of a generation long past. It cannot be repeated.

I think the long and short of it is this; your generation went through so much. They grew up in a depression era. Grew up understanding what a BUCK was. Grew up not taking things for granted.

This by no means diminishes the accomplishments of those who stepped in their footsteps. It by no means takes anything away for those who gave their best and/or died in the wars that followed. All efforts are equal. None can take away from that.

The point is that some generations have a better insight, a better appreciation for life. Some generations are more thankful for the little things in life. I am sorry, but while there are those who always remain grateful and thankful and would give their lives for their cause and beliefs even in this day and age, most folks of the succeeding generations are just too friggin' ungrateful. They always want more, expect more and haven't been weened on the same principles. It seems to me that too many just want, want, want and EXPECT nowadays without a thought to what they can give back. The prevailing attitude of late is "What can you give me?" It's becoming a sickening permutation.

So we just like to come back to a generation whom we thought appreciated life for what it was and not for what it could give. In that respect we pay homage.

Just my words after a couple of beers today. I'm not Plato, but I hope I have illuminated a feeling.

Hugs to those before me. M

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

That is an interesting observation, because I was going to post the question on how do you feel to be a part of what they call the "greatest generation"?

I think all points made here are the truth. If I'd ask my grandparents the same question, I suppose I'd get the same answer. Neither one of them think there's anything great about quitting school to go to work at age 13 and making do with rationing and army life. It's true that values and attitudes have changed, but I hope that if our country ever faces a situation of such magnitude as WWII it will respond with the same patriotism.

Brooke

At first I gave thought to not answering, but after a day or two of reflection, I couldn't help but offer my two cents.

Thanks for your interjections. M

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greatest Generation: WWII Veterans Set Sail To Share Stories With The World lsedels 0 1,897 07-20-2018, 10:11 PM
Last Post: lsedels
  A Generation's Moment Walt's Daughter 5 5,196 10-25-2006, 02:49 PM
Last Post: Dogdaddy
  SECOND GENERATION Cadetat6 1 3,049 09-09-2005, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Passing of a Generation James Pickering 2 67,002 05-05-2005, 09:32 PM
Last Post: Cadetat6