OUR MUSIC PAGE

Found the lyrics of one of the songs on there.

I hope it is allowed to post them here.

If not, please delete or move it to the appropriate place.

Thanks.

“What Do You Do in the Infantry?â€

What do you do in the infantry? You march; you march; you march.

What do you do when your pack has got your back as stiff as starch.

This is a mechanized war they say. That saying is sure a bust

Cause all that you see in the infantry is one another’s dust.

What do you do in the infantry? You hike; you hike; you hike.

What do you do in the infantry? You left and right all night.

Everyone else can ride a jeep or fly up in the sky.

But there’s nothing to ride in the infantry; you’re just a tired guy.

The hard way, hard way, sweat till you get there the hard way.

What do they say in the infantry? They squawk and squawk and squawk.

All about miles and miles and miles that they have had to walk.

They march across the ocean and that’s quite a trick to do.

But don’t forget the Air Core has done some marching to.

What do you do in the ground crew? You’re always fixin’ planes.

Never a chance to sleep and dream of beautiful GI Jane’s.

You’re packing a hole in the fuselage and loading the bomber sticks.

What do you do in the ground crew? You fix and fix and fix.

What do you do in the air core when the flak begins to scream?

How can you duck when the bombardiers say steady on the beat?

How can you dig a foxhole or jump behind a tree?

Wouldn’t you love to march away just like the infantry?

The soft way, the soft way; try to crash land, brother, the soft way.

What do you do when your gas is gone, and you’re flying a Thunderbolt?

You with the silk can say a prayer and land with an awful jolt.

You drop in a jungle and wrench your back; you’re thinking of giving up.

And what do you mumble crawlin’ back?

Hup two three four; Hup two three four!

Erwin

Erwin:

I'm sure she will enjoy your gift, even "What do you do in the Infantry?" Good for a few laughs. :pdt12:

(Posted a few minutes later...)

Just after I replied above, I saw you had posted the words to the song. I NEVER knew all the words. Thanks for doing that. It makes the song even better, now that I know ALL the words.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Always happy to have helped (even if only a little bit) the lady.

Yes, I think Bianca will have a good laugh with that one too.

I put it last. :armata_PDT_01:

Erwin

''I'LL WALK ALONE'' LISTENED AT 7;15AM 8/6 looked out the window, partly

cloudy and I think I saw her up in a cloud smiling. Rocky

I should've known that hearing these songs was gonna bring some tears.

My Dad would've been 96 on Aug 2nd, so I've been thinking especially of him these past few weeks.

Whenever he had any free time (which wasn't often), his great hobby was listening to music (I have his entire record collection).

Music is so evocative, isn't it? There are a few songs on your music page that I haven't heard since my Dad's been gone. The moment I heard them again, it brought him back to me in a way that nothing else could -songs like: "I Don't Want To Walk Without You", "You'll Never Know", and especially "Three Little Words". I remember the Bing Crosby recording and my Dad would sometimes sing it to me:

"Three little words, oh what

I'd give for that wonderful phrase.

To hear those three little words, that's all I'd

give for the rest of my days.

And what I feel in my heart, they tell sincerely

No other words could tell half so clearly.

Three little words, eight little letters

which simply mean I love you."

OH jeez! I'll have to get the kleenex out!

Anyway, I found this site called "Solid" that has lots of big band era info. It's pretty

cool:

http://www.parabrisas.com/index.php

So how much Puff's Plus did you go through this morning? :blush: Yup, that happens when a song hits your heart.

I was just glancing through the link you posted, and I like their database listing with singers/songwriters and band leaders. Thanks!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Yep: The piano was Elizabeths' Forte, EVERY MORNING SHE WOULD PLAY WHILE

I READ THE PAPER AND WE BOTH WOULD DRINK COFFEE. THEN I WOULD TURN

TO HER AND ASK, PLAY SOME BOOGIE WOOGIE, SHEWOULD FROWN AT ME AND

CUT LOOSE, I WONDER IF THERE IS A PIANO IN HEAVEN. ROQUE

Rocky - You surely hit the jackpot when you made Elizabeth your bride! Imagine, having your own piano concert every morning and special requests too!

I'm sure there's music in Heaven. It just couldn't be Heaven without it -especially for Frank Howard! The Mills Brothers, the Dorseys, Helen O'Connell, the GREAT Glenn Miller, Bing Crosby, the beautiful Alice Faye... I can still see the expression on my Dad's face while he was listening to all those wonderful recordings.

He always used to say things to my mother like: "Helen! Listen to THIS great number by Paul Whiteman's orchestra!"

I always wondered why he referred to the songs as "numbers". Was it from the numbers on the hit parade I wonder?

So much great music! To me, Glenn Miller has to the best of all. That sound can never be duplicated & that music just lifts you up - String Of Pearls, American Patrol, Pennsylvania 6-5000 etc. There will never be music like that again.

Bing Crosby's White Christmas makes me use a whole wad of kleenex every time I hear it. It always makes me think of my father. Other songs like Harry James' "Sleepy Lagoon" make me laugh because he'd play it a million times

and I'd say: "Oh Daddy! PULEEZE! NOT 'Sleepy Lagoon" again!!"

Yup! Got to be pianos and whole orchestras in Heaven! My Dad is surely begging Alice Faye for an encore of "You'll Never Know" and my mother is rolling her eyes at him! :rolleyes::D

If I'm fortunate enough to get there - I fully expect my Dad to greet me with a rendition of Amapola or "You Are My Sunshine".

mary ann

Rocky - You surely hit the jackpot when you made Elizabeth your bride! Imagine, having your own piano concert every morning and special requests too!

I'm sure there's music in Heaven. It just couldn't be Heaven without it -especially for Frank Howard! The Mills Brothers, the Dorseys, Helen O'Connell, the GREAT Glenn Miller, Bing Crosby, the beautiful Alice Faye... I can still see the expression on my Dad's face while he was listening to all those wonderful recordings.

He always used to say things to my mother like: "Helen! Listen to THIS great number by Paul Whiteman's orchestra!"

I always wondered why he referred to the songs as "numbers". Was it from the numbers on the hit parade I wonder?

So much great music! To me, Glenn Miller has to the best of all. That sound can never be duplicated & that music just lifts you up - String Of Pearls, American Patrol, Pennsylvania 6-5000 etc. There will never be music like that again.

Bing Crosby's White Christmas makes me use a whole wad of kleenex every time I hear it. It always makes me think of my father. Other songs like Harry James' "Sleepy Lagoon" make me laugh because he'd play it a million times

and I'd say: "Oh Daddy! PULEEZE! NOT 'Sleepy Lagoon" again!!"

Yup! Got to be pianos and whole orchestras in Heaven! My Dad is surely begging Alice Faye for an encore of "You'll Never Know" and my mother is rolling her eyes at him! :rolleyes::D

If I'm fortunate enough to get there - I fully expect my Dad to greet me with a rendition of Amapola or "You Are My Sunshine".

mary ann

Elizabeths' favorite was "GREEN EYES", on account of mine. are that. What can I say. Rocky

"THOSE COOL AND LYMPID GREEN EYES" M-1 THAT SONG ON THELIST??

We GOTTA have "Green Eyes".

In honor of Elizabeth - here it is Rocky - Bob Eberly & the great Helen O'Connell!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2n2aaghnM0...feature=related

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Email regarding old phonographs and WWII music... Walt's Daughter 0 3,239 05-15-2014, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Farewell to Patti Page Walt's Daughter 1 4,752 03-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Last Post: chucktoo
  The Honeybee Trio - music of the 30's and 40's Walt's Daughter 2 6,437 12-09-2012, 10:49 AM
  Wow, thanks for updated songlist - Music Jukebox Walt's Daughter 3 5,158 12-21-2011, 10:39 PM
Last Post: ND-Jim
  WWII sheet music info sites Walt's Daughter 0 3,071 05-17-2010, 08:12 AM
  Candyman Music Video Michael Callaghan 17 16,913 12-08-2007, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Jeeper704
  CD008: WWII Music & Variety Show Part 1 Walt's Daughter 3 5,678 11-28-2007, 01:58 PM
  WWII Music and Songs curtdol 32 44,706 10-23-2007, 09:30 PM
Last Post: ND-Jim
  Music from Joe Walt's Daughter 7 10,093 12-24-2005, 12:04 AM
  Music - The Authentic History Center Walt's Daughter 0 4,753 12-22-2005, 05:26 PM