WWII DOCUMENTARIES ON DVD

I must confess to spending a great portion of my time watching documentaries about WWII, and I doubt there are many that I do not already own. I have listed a few that I would highly recommend if you are starting to collect them.

(1.) THE WORLD AT WAR 11 dvd set with over 26 hours, narrated by Sir Lawrence Olivier......A "must" for your collection!

(2.) WWII THE WAR IN EUROPE, with Walter Kronkite 3 dvds, over 11 hours. In depth look at both fronts (eastern and western) as well as previously unseen footage of the Warsaw uprising and other Partisan actions filmed by the freedom fighters themselves.

(3.) THE COLOR OF WAR, HISTORY CHANNEL..SETS #1 AND #2. Narrated by Peter Coyote, great color (real color, not "colorised") footage of AMERICAN troops. Covers everything from Basic Training to the War's end, and really taps into the feelings of our boys "Over There." 7 dvds

(4.) D-DAY, 60TH ANNIVERSARY COMMEMORATIVE EDITION 3-DVDS. Many Veteran interviews including Sgt. Leonard Lomell, 2nd Ranger Battalion, and major Dick Winters, 101rst Airborne.

(5) ROLLING THUNDER, THE STORY OF THE 3RD ARMORED DIV., FROM THE HISTORY CHANNEL. EXCELLENT chronicle of the famous "Spearhead Division" from WWII to Iraq. 1 dvd.

Okay, that'll do for starters. I could go on forever, as I am addicted to watching this great historical programs and discussing them with others afterward. Please feel free to add to my list! I must confess another thing....I am a "homer" when it comes to who's accounts I prefer, and I don't enjoy any that belittle American Commanders or Soldiers! :drinkin:

Jim

We'd get along just great. Stop by a for a week's visit and we can all sit on the couches and watch documentaries all day and night. Ha-ha! We'll supply some of our own and the beer or whatever it is you want to drink. Sounds like we'd need some :coffee: to go along. :D

Here's a couple more that we have in our collection...

History Channel's Pearl Harbor

Great Fighting Machines of WWII

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

We'd get along just great. Stop by a for a week's visit and we can all sit on the couches and watch documentaries all day and night. Ha-ha! We'll supply some of our own and the beer or whatever it is you want to drink. Sounds like we'd need some :coffee: to go along. :D

Here's a couple more that we have in our collection...

History Channel's Pearl Harbor

Great Fighting Machines of WWII

...I'm on my way! :lol: Sounds great!

Jim

I remember watching The World at War as a child ( i'll never forget the theme music and the images they accompanied), i've watched many documentaies and this one is without doubt the best....you've got very good taste :pdt34:

I remember watching The World at War as a child ( i'll never forget the theme music and the images they accompanied), i've watched many documentaies and this one is without doubt the best....you've got very good taste :pdt34:

I think the theme music to "The World at War" and the opening images are hauntingly beautiful in the way they capture the sadness of war. I never get tired of watching this series, and the extra features in this set are fantastic too. They include quite a bit about the making of the series and a special feature on the Holocaust with interviews with a man who was a "Sondercommando" at Auschwitz. This set has always been my favorite, and thank you for the compliment :drinkin:

Jim

My pleasure Jim, welcome to the forum by the way. :)

The History Channel's Color of War shows are always great. I caught a couple about WWI and they were good.

Brooke

Also excellent are the various segments of the BBC's Second World War, and the BBC/History Channel productions by Lawrence Rees. Just finished watching The Nazis: A Warning from History (again :rolleyes: ), and that is one of the best of the series IMO.

:woof: Jim

ps- I know, I know.....I should be watching A Charlie Brown Christmas now, instead of the war stuff...I can't help myself! :pdt:

Okay, you can do both! :D I watched Charlie Brown last night! Had to take a break from the war. ;)

Marion J Chard

Can't forget Victory At Sea.

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Great Time to buy WWII Documentaries! afc7883 3 4,878 12-07-2009, 10:21 AM