Hello

Hello old vets,

My father died years ago and he never said much about his stint in Europe. I saw his discharge papers but they didn't have much info. So I found in his stuff which my sister gave to me his old Ration Cards. Dated April '44 and Oct '44 they gave his unit as the 1302d Engr (GS) REGT and he was in Company A.

I found a coulpe of Cemetery markers with the unit, in GA and PN, but that is it.

Does anyone know or know where to find info on his unit during that time?

Thanx

H.H.

I don't know anything about the 1302 Engineer Regiment and couldn't get a hit on google.

I went to the AMERICAN BATTLE MONUMENTS COMMISSION site and entered the WW2 graves and entered the search for Unit. It came back with 3 soldiers from that unit. Here are their info.

1302nd Engineer General Service Regiment

Kenneth R. Powell, Tech 4, (hometown) PA

Died 13-Nov-44

Buried at Cambridge American Cemetery, in UK

Manuel Tovar, Pvt, IL

Died 22-Oct-44

Charles W. Westcott, Sgt, PA

Died: 6-Sep-44

All were buried in England. I thought this might give a clue as to where they were located. Maybe.

Steve

Caution while doing a google search. Apparantly the MOS(rating class) for an engineer in the Marines is No. 1302.

Hi Harold:

Thanks for joining our forum and taking the time to introduce yourself.

I'll be more than happy to look up some info on this unit for you. I will get back with you in the next couple of days, so check back soon.

:pdt34:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

You won't believe this. Last night I was watching the History Channel about the D-Day invasion and the preparations and machines used in the landing. One Vet they interviewed was from the 1302d Engineers (oow, I hope it wasn't the 1306th). I don't recall exactly what he was speaking on. I think he was describing the Rhinos, which is something I'd never heard of.

They designed this floating barge that could assist with unloading LSTs. These Rhinos could pull up to an LST and the LST would open its door. The trucks and tanks could drive off the ramp onto the Rhino. It was big and could hold maybe a dozen trucks. It was powered by 2 engines and moved very slowly. That was okay since it only traveled from the LST to the beach.

Did anyone see that?

Dear Harold:

Just sent a letter off to a woman who posted the following information:

Robert Stevens

Military Unit: Co C 1302nd Engr. Regt.

Wife: Lydie Carroll

Additional Info: Marksman M-1 Rifle. Good Conduct Medal, World War Two Victory Medal, American Theatre Ribbon, European-African-Middle Eastern Ribbon.

Submitter: Ann

I wrote to her asking if she had any information on this unit and if so, to please contact me.

Am continuing my research for you. Unfortunately this group is NOT listed in the main book I have in my collection. Will keep you posted.

In the interim, please look under my Research section for further contacts including the Army Corps of Engineer's Office of History. I would contact them FIRST!

http://208.56.11.96/Invision/index.php?showtopic=23

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"