Charles D Guy - 180th Inf G Co

I am trying to get a complete list of the GO's, for they each refer to a certain campaign. Will see what I can do, so it all makes sense.

Hang in there folks, school is in session. :D

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

First off let me say this is a terrific site and thank you all again for the help. These papers say he was a member of the 180th regiment g company.every thing I've seen says that was part of the 45th division.But I dont know .I have called St. louis about the records they said it will be mailed out in a week or 2. that was around the 21st but still havent seen anything . <_< . AND dang it where do you people find all your info :wacko: at I'm still stumbling around in this world .

Ah, be patient my dear. NARA, you'll be lucky to get them in two weeks, so don't despair. That sounds like a very optimistic time frame. They are notoriously slow, so don't give up hope.

Well soon you will have more at your disposal and we can take it one day at a time and we will do all we can for you! No problem.

Regarding our research capabilities... Well I've become quite a sleuth on the computer. Been "interneting" for a long time and I've always had a head for research. Guess it just comes naturally. I had a friend going nuts just the other day. He was trying to find something and to no avail. Well I called him yesterday and said, the part is on it's way to your house. You will have it tomorrow. He was knocked off his feet. :D Most find it frustrating; I find it fun. B)

Keep us posted. Can't wait to hear more! :pdt34:

Marion J Chard

These papers say he was a member of the 180th regiment g company.every thing I've seen says that was part of the 45th division.But I dont know .

Are you trying to confuse me?? Or are you confused? One of us has to have some relief.

The 157th Infantry Regiment was indeed part of the 45th "Thunderbird" Infantry Division. I guess I didn't actually say that in my previous post.

The 45th Division consisted of 3 Regiments and 4 Field Artillery Battalions, an Engineer Company and other support companies. It might have an additional unit attached to it at some time, such as a tank destroyer battalion. Here is the organization of the 45th Division.

157th Infantry Regiment

179th Infantry Regiment

180th Infantry Regiment

158th Field Artillery Battalion

160th Field Artillery Battalion

171st Field Artillery Battalion

189th Field Artillery Battalion

120th Engineer Battalion

120th Medical Battalion

45th Quartermaster Company

745th Ordnance Company

In my post (above) I included the DUI pin for the 180th Regiment and I pointed out that the 157th Regiment was its sister unit.

Anyway, I wanted to clear that up for you or anyone out there.

Steve

Div45.jpg

A Display at the 45th Division Museum in Oklahoma City.

Div45Ok.jpg

This is a photo of captured items donated by WW2 Veterans of the 45th Division.

Includes several Italian weapons & bayonets and a "Flag taken from top of Messina city hall".

:unsure: I'm sure you are not the one confused and that it is me .Well I guess not so much confused . just one track mind.I have one point in mind and dont consider theres more to it then what i think at times.The only thing I keep thinking is 45th, 180th, G company .I keep forgetting theres more then the 180th in the 45th I'm sorry.As I said one track mind :wacko: .I kinda figured they were slower then that on paper work but that is what they said .Some days even thou I know it feels like I'm beating my head against a wall I think I should actually do it :D maybe then more would get throu this thick head of mine .Sorry if I sound like I'm trying to confuse any of you but I'm not really. To you I am very sorry Custermen :drinkin:

:lol::lol: I am in Custermen's court. Me too was very confused. Me thinks you were making this more difficult than it needs to be. Okay, deep breath, hold and exhale. :lol:

Nope ALL the info is correct. Don't worry you're not the first person to do this. I've had to give other Yoga lessons too. :lol:

Thanks "C" for elaborating. (Man I don't know why I still use THAT word. I had a college professor that was never happy with answers and she would ALWAYS say, "Please elaborate!" :banghead::banghead:

There Jag, I did a little head-banging for you. I know I feel better, how about you? :lol:

Okay, now we'll move on to the next lesson. Should I elaborate? :pdt12: Seriously we're glad to help ya out. And always remember, there are NO stupid questions, the only stupid question is the one's that DON'T get asked. (my hubby's fave line). ;)

Marion J Chard

Jag,

Don't take me so serious. My humor is a little sublime. No need to apologize.

The only thing I keep thinking is 45th, 180th, G company .  I keep forgetting theres more then the 180th in the 45th

What? More than one what in the 45th Division?

If you refer to the 180th Regiment then you are referring to the 45th Division. One is a sub-part of the other. While at the front, a soldier would usually refer to his unit as the 180th Regiment----for example. Anyone serving in that general area would know what division he was referring to.

On the other hand, if he answered "I'm from Company G", then Yes, that would be too vague as there was a Company G in each regiment and then you wouldn't be sure which regiment he might be referring to.

If you watch the COMBAT TV show, there is at least 3 episodes where someone askes Sgt. Saunders what unit he was with. His only answer: "361st" or one time "Company K, 361st". By his answer he was referring to the 361st Infantry Regiment, which we all know was part of the 91st Infantry Division that fought in Italy---not in France as portrayed by the TV show.

I just want to make sure you understand. And I'm trying to keep this FUN. Please email me if I can be of further help.

Steve :pdt20:

PS: I usually don't paste a happy face after my joke. That gets me in trouble a lot.

:wub: ok my wifes here now and she can figure out how to beat this all into my head :D .and maybe how to talk plainer on this computer.ok as in "What? More than one what in the 45th Division?"answer "more then one regiment " i think lol.did i get it ? did i get it ?huh ?huh? huh ? :D:D:D .(i just know before this day is over the wife is gonna beat me cause now shes :banghead::banghead: ) ok onward lets see how else i can mess up myself thanks again :drinkin:

Don't feel bad. I was familar with army jargon, but researching the VI Corps Combat Engineers through me for a loop. :wacko: Why? Well they don't conform to "normal" army rules! Oh great. They weren't part of any division. They are bastard units - that's independents. Huh? They were sometimes attached to divisions and or other regiments. Ok, ok! They were part of VI Corps and part of the 5th and 7th Armies, but were on their own. Ok, ok! :D So I had to get all that other "stuff" out of my head.

So always think:

• Division
  • Regiment
  • Battalion
  • Company
  • Platoon
  • Squad
You will see a lot of guys on this site refer just to their regiments, unless they are talking to outsiders, then they will give their entire unit description. Lesson over. Dismissed. :pdt34::pdt12:
Marion J Chard

That is why the Army calls it "Drill". They drill it into you until you get it right. :zelda:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Info - Charles U Culmer Enrico 18 16,060 09-27-2016, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter