3rd Inf Div & 540th Combat Engs

Would like to hear details from any member of the 3rd Infantry Div regarding the combined efforts of the 540th Combat Engineers during this time period. Thanks a ton. Your memories may very well wind up in my up and coming book on the VI Corps Engineers. Thanks a ton in advance for your help!-----------------------------

As of 12 March joint training with the 3rd Infantry Division began and on the same day Lt Colonel Manning returned from the 9th Army. The organization was attached to XV Corps for operations on 15 March.

Through simulated assault crossings and ferrying exercises competent teamwork was effected between Infantry and Engineer units. Final prepatations were made, equipment inspected and loaded and on 21 March Group Headquarters moved together with Headquarters Co from Arracourt establishing its command post in Rahling. 2832nd Engineer Bn established its command post in Rohrbach and the 2833rd Bn moved to the vicinity of Butten.

More to come...

On March 23 Headquarters and Headquarters Co, 540th Combat Engineer Group moved from Rahling to Grundtadt, Germany, the 2832 Bn moved to Bad Durkheim and the 2833rd Bn moved to Lautersheim. Upon arrival of Headquarters and Headquarters CO the 540th Comat Engineer Group was attached to the 3rd Infantry for operations.

On March 24, Advance Command Posts were established by Group Headquarters in Roxheim, 2832nd Bn in Morsch, 2833rd Bn in Horscheim. At 0200 hrs, March 24 the 2832nd & 2833rd Bns moved into concentration areas and at 0230, March 26, both bns began ferrying troops of the 3rd Inf Div across the Rhine River. The 2832nd Bn in support of the 7th Inf Reg erected cables, constructed one heavy ponton raft and began construction of approach for heavy ponton raft on the Rhine. The 2833rd Bn less Co A, in support of the 30th Inf Reg erected calbes, constructed two infantry support rafts and one heavy ponton raft. Co A, in conjunction with the 85th Engineer Heavy Ponton Bn constructed a heavy ponton bridge across the Rhine at Worms.

This structure measuring 1020 feet, was completed in the record time of nine hours and 12 minutes. Later information emanating from 7th Army HQ revealed tht Allied Forces utilized 33 bridges in spanning the Rhine River and that only three were constructed in less than 10 hours! :pdt34:

From H-Hour until the end of D+4, the organization sustained a loss of 39 men due to enemy actions; two officers, Captain Frederick C Woods & Captain Bernard L Cohen were wounded. At 1800 hours, March 28 the 540th Combat Eng Group was relieved from attachment to XV Corps and reverted to 7th Army Control. The 2832nd Bn maintained the river crossing equipment and continued operation of two infantry support rafts and one heavy ponton raft near Ludwigshafen. River patrol was continued by 2833rd Bn.

More to come...

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Marion: Yes, have some info on the Engineers on the Rhine River crossing. Both from my History of the 3rd Inf Div in WW 2 and a book gratiously sent to me by the author

of Autobahn to Berchtesgadem, namely Lt. Col Sherm Pratt (ret.) who was at this time a first Lt., C.O. L company 3rd Bn. 7th Inf Reg. Quite a lot of pages and pics (specially

of Eng. feats there). I wont take up a lot of room here on the board but if you will send me your E mail addy will send them if wished. From my memory of this river crossing

all seems correct to me. Mentioned are the 10th Eng Bn., 540 Eng Grp. ©, and the 1109th Eng Grp. © as being attached to the 3rd Inf Div. If wished yoiu may edit the

pages.

Thank you Joe. I was hoping that you and/or Russ would come to my aid. Ah, my knights in shining armor! :D

I just sent you my email address.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"