Daniel F. Gallagher - 540th CE

Received this last night. Yeah, another contact!

----------------

Hi, my name is Joseph M. Pennachio. I recently came across your website about the 540th combat engineers of which my grandfather, Daniel F. Gallagher was a member of. About 10 years ago when I was 18 my mother bestowed upon me letters that she had kept hidden from my grandfather for years. He had passed before I was born, and these letters at the time, along with a few pictures, formed the only knowledge I had of my grandfather. I must have over 100 letters, dated from very early 1942 when he was in training until late 1945. After I recieved these letters I went on a search to find more information, at the time, little was available. I did however come across a copy of 'Overseas with the 540th combat engineers.' At $110 dollars it seemed like an awful lot for an 18 year old to spend on a book out of print for 50 years at the time. I bought it anyway and when it arrived I was completely and utterly blown away when I discovered on or about the 19th page that you scanned onto your website, showing pictures of engineers in Italy clearing mines, a picture on the lower right hand side of the page. My grandfather, Daniel F. Gallagher, holding a 'booby trapped' mine, complete with his bandaged hand. I have nearly this exact picture in my own possesion. Since then I can find very little info about where exactly he served and what he did. I have much more information to read about on your website but I wanted to let you know you are not alone in your search for more information. I will send you copies of my pictures once I retreive them from my safe and scan them into my computer. I havent even begun to scan letters yet. Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for what you are doing , far too many people forget what has been lost and what has been given by one amazing generation of men and women.

Still searching,

Joseph M. Pennachio

post-6-1128264904_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   DanielGallagher.jpg (Size: 47.64 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Dear Joseph:

I was so delighted to get your email last night. I have been contacted by several people in the last few weeks and it seems that more and more of the 540th are coming to the surface.

I appreciate your shock regarding the price of Overseas with the 540th book. I am STILL trying to locate a copy for my collection but many are now going for over $300.00 and I DO NOT have those kind of funds. Yikes! One of my historian friends allowed me to copy his book, so I at least have that for now. I still haven't given up on finding one...

Are you talking about the page that is entitled Danger Minefield? It sure is wonderful to be able to place a name with a face.

I will be more than happy to add your name to the Newsletter. I try and write something approximately 4 times a year to keep everyone up to speed. If you haven't seen the past copies, you can find them on the Home Page.

I eagerly await your photos, etc. Why don't we create a page for your grandfather on the site? I'd be delighted to have yet another proud 540th'er on my website.

I will add your letter to my on the forum, so others may see it in the interim. Someone may very well recognize his name. It's happened before.

I admire your perseverance and thank you for taking such an interest in him and the 540th.

Warmest regards,

Marion J Chard

VI Corps, 540th Combat Engineer WWII

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com

Essayons!

Marion J Chard

Thank you for your response to my letter. It's so nice to talk to someone who has the same interest in simply gathering and locating more information about these great men. Yes, the picture of my grandfather, Staff Sgt Daniel F. Gallagher, is on the page entitled Danger - Minefield ! He is the last picture on that page, bottom right hand side. He is wearing his steel-pot helmet and his staff sgt patches are clearly visible on his arms. Along with his banadged hand, although I have no idea how he wounded it. If you have any questions about the book, please ask. Mine is kept in a safe here in the house so that it cannot be damaged. I found it in an online used book store. It wasnt hard to find, but I purchased my copy about 10 years ago. I cant believe the price now. However, I can assure you, finding your fathers picture in that book , or grandfather in my case, quite simply makes it priceless.

-Joseph M. Pennachio

Marion J Chard

Hey Joe:

If you are out there somewhere, please contact me. I lost several names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses a while back. Yours was included, so I have no way to get in touch with you.

Am getting ready to send out the latest edition of the VI Corps newsletters to the vets of the 36th, 39th and 540th within the next week or so and would like to send you a copy through mail or email, so please let me know if you read this.

Thanks!

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Daniel Bunn - Iceland and Normandy Walt's Daughter 5 9,284 02-24-2007, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter