Sergeant Vincent Consiglio 291st CE

Guess what? I just got a call from the Colonel himself. What a nice man. He is still very involved with writing and taking an active role in the Army Corps of Engineers. He said he would look forward to talking to Sergeant Consiglio and had nothing but praise for him. He told me that Tony received the Purple Heart and Bronze Star for his actions. He also talked about William Todd and said that his grandson had been to his house a couple of times to speak with him. I told him that I would contact Tony Jr and have him reach him. Tony and his dad are going to be so thrilled. Talk about making my day! :pdt34:

Colonel Pergrin and I talked for about 10 minutes and he told me about 4 videos on the History Channel that I might be interested in. They are:

• Damned Engineers - Battle of the Bulge
  • Bridge at Remagen
  • Unsung Heroes - Stopping the Panzers
  • Malmedy Massacre
I am going to make sure to add those to my wish list. Man is that every getting long...

I asked the Colonel if he would sign my book (First Across the Rhine) if I mailed it to him and he said that he would send me his other book, Engineering the Victory. What an honor. Can't wait to get it.

The Colonel also told me about all the decorations the unit has and IS still receiving to this date. He explained that the unit has been honored by every president including both Bush presidents.

Well can't wait to hear what transpires once Tony gets back from his vacation. He's in Florida right now, so I left a message on his cell phone. Sure hope he gets it.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Here is some info on the Colonel's book:

Book Description- Engineering the Victory

The Battle Of the Bulge, in December 1944, was Hitler and the Wehrmacht's last great battle of World War II in the West. After losing the war for the beaches and hedgerows of Normandy, and barely escaping with huge losses from the Falaise pocket, the German Army fell back to just West of the Rhine and the German border. Hitler and his Generals planned a massive counter stroke and marshaled the forces to make it work. Striking in surprise on December 16, 1944 in the weakly defended Ardennes, German thrusts moved quickly to put Allied forces on the defensive. The Battle of the Bulge was that ensuing great battle. In this book Colonel David Pergrin reaches out for the other stories of that battle. Assisted by the Army Engineer Association, he has gathered numerous battlefield stories, anecdotes, and experiences told by those who were there and who lived them. With his own battlefield experience providing an understanding of people in war, he has crafted an interesting book that tells those stories of engineers in battle. Many of the participants in that great battle have never been recognized for their exploits. The stories Dave Pergrin has collected in this book bring attention to engineer soldiers in combat and construction units who fought and died with their comrades of infantry, tankers, artillery, and the others - units that have not before been accorded their due. Weaving these stories and vignettes together into the framework of the overall battle, this book honors the many engineer soldiers, their companies and battalions, that contributed greatly to the allied to the allied defeat of the Germans.

Marion J Chard

Tony and his father got to speak with the Colonel. I am just thrilled that I was able to bring them together. Sometimes is doesn't get any better than this. :pdt34:

Here's some excerpts from his letter to me...

...I did talk to Col. Pergrin and we set a time up last Wednesday and he and my Father spoke and I taped the entire conversation on V-tape. Well I think my father did most of the talking as he was so excited to talk to someone from his old outfit. Col Pergrin said he thinks the next reunion will be in FLA. My dad said to him that if its in Ft. Myers then Col Pergrin can stay with them at their house...The Col said ooooK!...

... He actually got close to breaking down as he told his story to the Col. he has a lot of bad memories from that day and a lot of unforgiven feelings about those who died around him and all those Germans he killed that day....

...I have more pictures I can send you and I just really wanted to thank you again... Talk to you soon.

Tony

Marion J Chard

When the site is revamped, I will be adding a page for Tony's dad. In the interim, I will share a few photos with you.

This one is the First Across the Rhine

post-6-1142339753_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   1stToCrossRhine.jpg (Size: 33.41 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

Bridge at Remagen

post-6-1142340990_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   RemagenBridge.jpg (Size: 6.13 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

The Colonel signed my First Across the Rhine book and signed and sent me his Engineering the Victory - The Battle of the Bulge book. I am very honored to have gotten to know him.

I was glancing through the Engineering book last night and ran across a reference to Anthony. I scanned four of the pages and am making it available to all here.

This is in chapter 21: The Decisive Battle on the Northern Shoulder (Dec 21). Pages 196-199. A hair-raising incident at the Warche River bridge and the paper mill (Malmedy area).

Consiglio In Engineering the Victory002.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   Consiglio In Engineering the Victory002.pdf (Size: 161.58 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

Hello Anthony.

this is kitty fro texas

My late dad was Also in the 291st Co B  So your dad & Mine  were in Same unit

Im Also researching  the movements as the battle of the bulge & the colomar pocket  have no idea about that one..  as some of what i have read the  the 291st  didnt exsist in ww11 until later a make ready' 

have you run across that as well?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Searching info about Earl G. Ford, Staff Sergeant 147th CE Alain147 0 2,646 02-03-2022, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Alain147
  291st Engineer Combat Battalion Roster EngineerReenactor 9 19,991 02-01-2019, 02:42 PM
Last Post: mikel
  William S. Todd - 291st Engineer Walt's Daughter 3 9,811 10-11-2005, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter