WWII Music and Songs

WWII Music and Songs -

Music and Memories

WWII SONGS,

I wrote a story about 10 years ago about my favorite songs of WWII. It’s a little too long to post, so I will just mention a few highlights.

1. King of Siam

In Infantry OCS, during the final weeks, my floor of the barracks had been winnowed down through washouts, from about 30 men to about 15. It looked as though we were going to “make it†and our enthusiasm knew no bounds! One of the survivors had a radio which he played in the morning as we were getting ready for the first formation. They always played “King of Siam†and we would all join in on the chorus: “Oh I’m the king of Siam, yes I am! Oh yes I am! Oh yes I am! For I’m the King of Siam, yes I am! And we all thought we were. Figuratively, at least. We might have been less exuberant if we had known that 50% of us would not survive the War!

2. I’ve Got Sixpence

We sang this loudly while marching in cadence to and from our training area each day.

“I’ve got sixpence,

Jolly, Jolly sixpence.

I’ve got sixpence to last me all my life.

I’ve got sixpence to spend.

And sixpence to lend,

And sixpence to send home to my wife, poor wife,

No cares have I to grieve me, No pretty little girls to deceive me.

Oh HAPPY IS THE DAY WHEN THE ARMY GETS ITS PAY

And we go rolling, rolling home.â€

Our song leader was always Jack Everett, a Rutgers ROTC classmate and a born leader. Jack was later KIA in France when he stood up to accept the surrender of a group of Krauts carrying a white flag. A concealed Kraut shot him dead.

3. Paper Doll

“I’d like to buy a paper doll that I could call my own,

A doll that other fellows could not stealâ€

My first assignment was to the 13th Airborne Division at Ft. Bragg. It was a cadre only, with fillers to come over the next year to undergo unit training before going overseas. That being the case, my fiancee and I married and found a room on a nearby cotton farm. Along with my fellow company officers, we would go to a nearby road house in the evening to dance to the juke box music of “Paper Dollâ€. Those were some of the happiest days of my life. The division did stay at Fort Bragg for a year of training and then never saw combat. But after only 8 weeks of marriage, I was sent to Anzio as an infantry replacement 2nd Lt. and didn’t come home for 2 years. I can’t remember the rest of the words to the song, but years later when I wrote this story, my wife read it and then sat down with paper and pencil and wrote these words from memory.

“Paper Doll - I’m gonna buy a paper doll, that I can call my own. A doll that other fellows cannot steal, and then those flirty, flirty guys with their flirty, flirty eyes will have to flirt with dollies that are real. When I come home at night she will be waiting, she’ll be the truest doll in all this world. I’d rather have a paper doll to call my own, than have a fickle-minded real live girl.â€

4. The fourth song is “Lili Marleneâ€, a sentimental ballad sung by the German Africa Corps in North Africa and then brought to Sicily and Italy where the American 5th and British 8th Armies adopted it as their own.

“Underneath the lamp post, by the barracks gate,

Standing all alone every night you’ll see her wait.

She waits for a boy who marched away,

And tho’ he’s gone, she hears him say;

Oh promise you’ll be true

Fare thee well Lili Marlene,

Til I return to you,

Fare thee well Lili Marleneâ€

5. The fifth song is “She wore a yellow ribbonâ€.

“Around her neck, she wore a yellow ribbon,

She wore it in the springtime and in the month of May, - Hey, Hey!

She wore it for her lover who was far, far away.

Far away, far away,

She wore it for her lover who was far, far away.â€

Have you had enough? I have and I am going to bed.

Russ Cloer - 3_7_I_Recon

No I haven't had enough yet. Was just getting into it. :lol::lol:

I love reading this. I love the songs and cadences and of course hearing about what the songs meant to you and all the memories associated with them.

Looks like I will have to get a copy of Paper Doll, etc. and place them on the music page. I haven't added anything in a while and those would be good additions.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Hello there again!!

My gandad just got me a 100 year old Victrola :lol: , I'm wanting to find some records for it. A friend loaned me a couple records she played back in the 40's but I'm wanting to get some of my own. Could you give me some suggestions for song titles and artists? What were some of your favorites?

Hugs,

Brooke

100 years old? Does it play the 78 rpm records from the 40's? If so may have a few to give you. Maybe I am incorrect but seems like 100 years ago they were cylindrical and

not flat records. Course I could be wrong. But still have some 78's I dont use.

Hey I really appreciate it!! Being born and the tail end of the vinyl age, I'm afraid my knowledge on record sizes is limited. :unsure: A friend loaned me a couple vintage records and I'll try and describe them..... Definately flat and not cylindrical, bigger than a 45, thicker, and they feel like if you would drop them they would shatter in a million pieces. You know how records from 70's bend.... these don't. I don't know if it will play the records from the 70's or not. My mom has a few 45s but I haven't tried. I think I'll do that this evening. I have a little piece from another record player I can use to put in the hole...

The woman that gave it to my grandad said it was 100 years old, and the friend that I borrowed the records from has one also, she thinks hers was bought in 1903 or 1906 and they are very similar in shape. She is 74 and said she played the some of the records when she was a teenager. I found a Victor Victrola website that will help me identify its age. I'll let you know.

Thanks again!!

Hugs,

Brooke

We had a Victrola from around the same age and had all the 78's that went with it. So I'm sure that's what you have. Have fun. How about a party at your house? We all have to get dressed up in 40's garb. I'll bring the martinis and I get the first dance. Everyone here is invited and...

But wouldn't that be fun? :lol:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

You know, that did cross my mind! I'm smack in the middle of a re-vamp on my house. I bought a fixer-upper and am taking my ol sweet time. I've been aquiring furniture for a few years now and I have very few new pieces. Everything is flea market, yard sale, trash rescues, and inherited family pieces. I have a 1941 pedestal sink, 1930s clawfoot bathtub, depression era bedroom suite. Several other dressers, tables, etc. I can hardly wait to get them situated!!

I just need me a nice dress (already have the nylons w/the seam) and a little mink slung over my shoulder....

Hugs,

Brooke

I bought a couple records at an antique store last night, one of them being "A Story of Two Cigarettes". I thought it was cute, since my mom smokes like a freight train. I played it for her, she thought it was cute, too ;)

I'm glad I asked someone before I tried to play mom's 45s. Can't do it because the needle on the victrola will destroy the vinyl. He told me to only play the 78s.

I did a little research and my particular model was made between 1911 and 1925. So it's not as old as they thought it was.

Hugs,

Brooke

We had a Victrola from around the same age and had all the 78's that went with it. So I'm sure that's what you have. Have fun. How about a party at your house? We all have to get dressed up in 40's garb. I'll bring the martinis and I get the first dance. Everyone here is invited and...

But wouldn't that be fun? :lol:

Marion; Just ran across your's & Brooke's posts about the OLD victrolas. Mare; You said you had one and several records. Have you, since Art & I were up to visit you, relieved yourself of it. I remember seeing it in the corner of your back room you were fixing up.

I also have a victrola with about forty or more of the old clay records. They all seem to be dated around 1901 to 1906. One is only grooved on one side and at the bottom of the lable is written; [ patented May 4, 1886 and December 10, 1901 ]. On one record I have; this particular band leader is explaining this new way of puting music on a flat record, and asks the people to listen to it and experience how wonderful this new invention is.

I wouldn't recomend playing anything but clay records on the victrola though, because I think the weight of the head alone would cause the needle to, in time, cut through the plactic.

One person's junk is another person's treasure

chucktoo

Hello there again!! 

My gandad just got me a 100 year old Victrola :lol: , I'm wanting to find some records for it.  A friend loaned me a couple records she played back in the 40's but I'm wanting to get some of my own.  Could you give me some suggestions for song titles and artists?  What were some of your favorites?

Hugs,

Brooke

Brooke;

I see from your post that you now have a real live, but ancient, Victrola. How do you feel, having something like that . Is it just a Fun thing to have or is it much more than that. You know; Not many people take pride in having "OLD" stuff in their home. If I could afford it, that is all I would have.

Let me know how you feel about owning this piece of history. You never know-----

P.S. You say you found a Victor Victrola web site. If you would let me know, I would Appreciate it.

Chuck

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Email regarding old phonographs and WWII music... Walt's Daughter 0 3,208 05-15-2014, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  The Honeybee Trio - music of the 30's and 40's Walt's Daughter 2 6,378 12-09-2012, 10:49 AM
  OUR MUSIC PAGE Walt's Daughter 83 123,166 08-28-2012, 10:48 AM
  Wow, thanks for updated songlist - Music Jukebox Walt's Daughter 3 5,112 12-21-2011, 10:39 PM
Last Post: ND-Jim
  WWII sheet music info sites Walt's Daughter 0 3,054 05-17-2010, 08:12 AM
  Candyman Music Video Michael Callaghan 17 16,695 12-08-2007, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Jeeper704
  CD008: WWII Music & Variety Show Part 1 Walt's Daughter 3 5,619 11-28-2007, 01:58 PM
  Music from Joe Walt's Daughter 7 9,992 12-24-2005, 12:04 AM
  Music - The Authentic History Center Walt's Daughter 0 4,728 12-22-2005, 05:26 PM
  Music Cadetat6 1 143,108 02-15-2005, 12:26 AM